Canada CANBIF Spring 2013

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Phyl21ca, Mar 12, 2013.

1. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Feb 12, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

A BIF where I get beer for beer marshmallows! I'm thinking that's a terrific trade...warm up the stand mixer!

Rutager and kjyost like this.
  2. Boozecamel

Boozecamel Feb 25, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Now if you just made the marshmallows big enough they could be used as a pillow if your BIF buddy overindulges.

Rutager likes this.
  3. korguy123

korguy123 May 17, 2008 Ontario (Canada)

After a long hiatus I'm in!
    Thank god we don't need to ship into the states. That shit gets too expensive.
    If Marcus needs my info I'll pm him.

I don't think I need to remind people to update their wants/gots also.

Thanks to both of you for setting this up again!

Rutager and TheSevenDuffs like this.
  4. seblp

seblp Feb 9, 2010 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Is it April 5th yet? I can't wait anymore!! Bring the marshmallows :p

5. liamt07

liamt07 Jul 26, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Did some preliminary shopping today for my yet to be determined partner. :) Can't wait!

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  6. Tmappin

Tmappin Sep 25, 2008 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm in, this sounds fun.

7. Rutager

Rutager Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Sounds like this is getting pretty big. :) How many are we up to now?

8. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

SebD, phirleh and Rutager like this.
  9. phirleh

phirleh Sep 29, 2008 Ontario (Canada)

I phoned uhaul and asked about their wine shipper listed on their site, gave them the part number (WSKIT6) and they said nothing came up with that description. Could be a US website, how available are they at uhaul outlets?

10. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

I have placed an order from their US site one line to my address in Mississauga and it showed up 4 days later. It is still free shipping even if coming to Canada and $30 of wine shippers won't cause you to incur duty/brokerage fees. Just place the order to your home address from the US site and wait 4-5 days for it to arrive...

phirleh likes this.
  11. liamt07

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

12. liamt07

Beer Trader

Perhaps it would be wise to have participants list in the thread styles they like/don't like and/or flavours they dig/are adverse to? Would perhaps allow everyone get a more 'personalized' box...

13. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I live tasty beer....and marshmellows. :p

(Seriously though, I'll try and update my wants to local Canadian stuff, or at least a general group of beers that show my favorties styles. ps: I don't like barleywines).

14. CurtisD

CurtisD Aug 16, 2012 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I did just that, my shippers arrived at my office today. Can't wait to fill it up with great Maritime craft beer! Already grabbed a few bottles in anticipation.

I have a hard time updating my wants list because I get so few chances to try anything from west of NB. Would love to be paired up with a non-Maritimer. My favourite styles are pale ales, stouts, IPA. Don't love porters or smoked beers. I will update my "hads" list so people can see how I've rated what I've tried before.

15. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

We will have a separate thread for things like that once targets are assigned. That is definitely something that every participant should do.

16. kjyost

kjyost May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

I like beer. If it doesn't taste "cold" (since when is that a taste?) I probably like it. I don't really do wants, but I am super flexible when it comes to getting beer :)

Top 3 styles:
    1) Sours, wilds, etc...
    2) Hoppy as shit stuff
    3) Belgian styles

That said, I enjoy a well put together bock, really enjoy a fresh weizen, etc...

EDIT: Doh! 7Duffs just beat me to it!

17. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

No worries. Now I am wondering I am mixed up. There is typically a "hints and hauls" thread and I thought that might be a good spot to post this info, but maybe it belongs more in here?

18. kjyost

Nah, this will get too cluttered IMHO and also we don't even know our targets yet...

19. Rutager

Beer Trader

Someone send this guy a super extra arctic cold premium lager with a colour changing cold meter on the can to let him know if it's merely cold or arctic ice extra cold.
    ;)

SebD and kjyost like this.
  20. kjyost

I prefer my beers SUB-ZERO!!!!!

21. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

How about a nice Lou Pepe Kriek slurpee Ken? It's all the rage in Winnipeg these days I hear...

That or beer pong, God... (facebook CBDW group reference)

kjyost likes this.
  22. Electros

Electros Feb 20, 2007 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

The only thing I am not a fan of is sours.

23. ricochet173

ricochet173 Jul 6, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

My likes and dislikes are up on my profile. Also updated my "Wants" to include some Canadian brews that sounds appealing.

24. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

That is some great advice for anyone participating in this BIF.

seblp likes this.
  25. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Sadly, I am not up on a lot of hidden gems around the country. Very US-centric due to my proximity.
    Windsor's LCBOs don't get much despite their efforts. I guess Canada stops at London.

However, I will say that I like to try most anything.
    More specifically, I like big flavor beers. My favorite styles are IPA/DIPA, imperial stouts and barleywines.
    I'm up for trying more sours as well.
    Not as big on porters and lagers.

I will do some research and maybe mention a few breweries that I would to try stuff from in my profile page. Can't wait!

26. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

We'd love to get more people from out west registered. So if you are from BC, AB, SK, MB and you are on the fence, it would be great if you would join the BIF.

Electros likes this.
  27. papat444

papat444 Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

My wants are up to date, i even have links to Google docs for extra wants. If i haven't reviewed it, i'm up to trying it.

I'm not in a "hoppy" mood these days, so i'd say no IPA/DIPAs. Faves are stouts, regular or imperial as well as porters but i like pretty much anything. Love experimental/different/off-the-wall flavors so if you've got a peanut butter stout or marshmallow porter, i'll try it :D

28. ricochet173

ricochet173 Jul 6, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'll second everything here :p

29. korguy123

korguy123 May 17, 2008 Ontario (Canada)

I just realized we're getting our destinations on my birthday. Happy belated birthday beer for me!!
    Lol

Can I also get a show of hands who hasn't had Alexander Keith's IPA?
    If my target hasn't had it I would hate to deny him/her of the joys of his wonderful ale. :D

30. CurtisD

CurtisD Aug 16, 2012 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Oops, meant to add that I'm also not fond of brown or nut brown ales.

31. Caudalie

Caudalie Nov 29, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm in! Really enjoyed waiting for my box, as much as waiting for the guy I was sending stuff to to get his box last year, it was great!

I really like hoppy stuff, I mainly drink IPAs. I tend to perfer IPAs with low alcool, and a lighter malt body, but a truckload of aromatic hops. I also really like sours, some saisons, some hoppy pilsners, stuff like that. I get to Ontario pretty often, so I have pretty easy access to most beers on sale at LCBO in addition to what's available in Quebec.

I don't really like stout, porters and barleywines. I also don't wear beer t-shirts ;) (plz don't throw rocks at me)

I'll be hitting Vermont next week, so one of you might get some fresh topper in the box!

Electros likes this.
  32. Caudalie

Caudalie Nov 29, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I know my last message might sound really picky. In the end, it's also all about broadening horizons, and discovering new stuff. I'll also be glad to taste strange stuff, experimental brews, even homebrews.

Cheers all,

33. FEUO

Updated wants list after learning up some on Cdn craft breweries. Will add more as I edgemicate myslef.

34. Rutager

Beer Trader

Just wondering if the Canadian beers you'll be sending out will be similar to those wants?

Edit: That comment was a bit dick-like. What I mean is, you should probably put a wider range of beers on your wants besides Canada's most limited and best. Most people will be lucky to hit one of those.

35. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

I've updated my want/wish list as well as my profile to indicate what I like (essentially anything...;))...

36. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

I was able to find a bunch of styro shippers at one of the private beer/wine stores out here in Vancouver which they kindly gave me for free! Was worth asking.

TheSevenDuffs and tbadiuk like this.
  37. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

For new traders, even with the wine shippers, I would still recommend wrapping each bottle in newspaper, bubble wrap, etc. so that the bottles are securely in place in their slot. Also, if you are putting any 12 oz bottles in to the wine shippers, consider adding some crumpled up newspaper or bubble wrap in to the top portion of the slot. Since the slots are designed for 750ml bottles, the 12 oz bottles will really move around vertically in the slot if you don't pad the top portion of that bottle's slot in the shipper. The more secure the bottles are, the better!

korguy123 and FondueVoodoo like this.
  38. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

I also seal the whole styro part in a Glad garbage bag so if anything leaks, it is contained.

(Protip: Be sure to put the styro portion into the box and squeeze out all the air before tying up / knotting the bag closed)

39. FondueVoodoo

Beer Trader

Just tried a large double ziploc bag and a bomber just fit in snuggly - plus added some addition width so that they are secure in the styro shipper.

tbadiuk, TheSevenDuffs and korguy123 like this.
  40. FEUO

Truthfully, my target will get a lot of beers not on their want list unless they are MI beers. I hope thats cool.
    I am still learning about whats good in CAN. I've been drinking beer for 20 years and don't know what constitutes a good Canadian craft beer. I used to think drinking Creemore and Waterloo Dark made me a beer elitist.

Should I just say, "if you are from BC get me Driftwood, if from QC get me DDC, if from MB get me Half Pint, if from NS get me Garrison"?
    I have a very good feeling I will slay my target based on what I can get. I am spoiled. Should I not "want" some good stuff from my own country that I can't normally get?
    Sorry for wanting wants.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe