CANBIF Spring 2016 - Hints & Hauls

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kcherney, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,292) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

Hint#5- Looks like the box has passed through Winnipeg already, it might make a brief stopover in Ontario but that’s not where it’s going to end up, sorry Ontario.

hoppypocket and Whatup14 like this.
  2. Beervana

Beervana Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2014 Canada (BC)

Hint #3: My box was packed up and shipped yesterday to a town with a very long name.

hoppypocket and Whatup14 like this.
  3. hoppypocket

hoppypocket Initiate (39) Feb 22, 2011 Canada (QC)

I am definitely in the game for this one

4. GJKerr

GJKerr Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 Canada (ON)

Came home today to quite a surprise on my porch and based on his hint at post #129 of this thread, I believe I have LarryAppleton to thank! Burlington, Ontario not Vermont :wink:. Perhaps "only" 235 oz, but I'll take quality over quantity! And certainly some solid styro-engineering of the bottle shipper.

[​IMG]

From left to right we have:

DDC Dernière Volonté Réserve Spéciale En Fût De Pinot Noir
    DDC Solstice D'été Aux Cerises
    Bourbon County Brand Stout (2014) (!!!!)
    Dunham Deze Monnik Is Dronken
    New Holland Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout
    Dunham Assemblage No. 1
    Benelux Chronique de Mars
    Les Trois Mousquetaires Saison Brett
    Les Trois Mousquetaires Grande Cuvée Porter Baltique - Fûts de Bourbon et Brandy
    AUVAL Grisette #2
    AUVAL Arcane 17
    AUVAL Guerilla SSS Triple Stout
    AUVAL Super A

It is going to be tough letting this haul last through the weekend! Can barely decide which to try first. Thanks again to my sender!

iguenard, Phyl21ca, Corson and 18 others like this.
  5. billverstein

billverstein Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2011 Canada (ON)

I don't think my target has posted in this thread yet!
    Maybe I should check some other site...

6. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba Initiate (0) May 5, 2011 Canada (ON)

Or today! Now, to open it...

7. Kump

Kump Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Canada (BC)

/me WAITS IMPATIENTLY

8. Electros

Electros Poo-Bah (2,544) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Moderator Society Trader

Your killing us, OPEN IT ALREADY! :grinning:

9. KeKeKumba

Hah. I saw the box on my way out the door for a late lunch. But I'm home now, so...

[​IMG]

Since I cut some of the dates off, here's the list from top left to bottom right:

Four Winds Nectarous
    Four Winds / Trou Du Diable Exil d'Eden
    Powel Street Brett Saison
    Parallel 49 RIS (2013)
    Bridge Side Cut IPA
    Driftwood Twenty Pounder
    Moon Under Water Oud King Crow
    Vancouver Island Hermannator Ice Bock (2014)
    Yellow Dog Play Dead IPA
    Modern Times Booming Rollers
    De Molen Bommen & Granaten
    De Garde Grand Rouge
    Logsdon Far West Vlaming
    Upright Anniversary Saison
    Breakside Wanderlust IPA
    Humboldt Black Xantus

Thanks for the excellent box! I've only had one of these before, and now it has a killer new label. A few big wants in Nectarous, Play Dead, and De Garde. And then a whole spew of PNW goodness that I can't wait to get into. You did very, very well considering I basically just said 'send whatever'.

As for my target, I have the box all outlined, just need to pick a few things up this weekend before it goes out hopefully on Monday. Hints to come then.

GJKerr, Phyl21ca, Corson and 19 others like this.
  10. Soods

Soods Initiate (103) Oct 12, 2009 Canada (ON)

Wow! What a box!!

PINOT8, TheDoctor, KeKeKumba and 2 others like this.
  11. SebD

SebD Meyvn (1,477) Nov 24, 2010 Canada (ON)

Thanks for destoying my porch @Phyl21ca, you're welcome to destroy it any time you want :grinning:.

From right to left:

[​IMG]

Timmermans - Oude Kriek (Limitied Edition)
    Ma Brasserie - Tribale Pale Ale
    Evil Twin - I Love You With My Stout
    Mikkeller - Beer Geek Vanilla Shake
    Dieu du ciel! - Equinoxe Du Printemps (BBA)
    HopEra - Trizo
    Nøgne Ø / Kissmeyer - Naked Kiss
    Trou du Diable - Dulcis Succubus
    Trou du Diable - L'Ours
    Dunham - Gouden Meyer
    Les Trois Mousquetaires - Grande Cuvée Porter Baltique (Bourbon & Brandy)
    Brasserie Dupont - Triomf

I can't thank you enough for this fantastic box! You've nailed some of my long time wants and all of these are new to me with the exception of LTM Porter Baltique but come on, who would say no to that :slight_smile:! Thanks again for organizing all of this Phil! I can't wait to dig in.

For my target, I am awaiting a release at a new brewery... Once I add that to the box it'll be on it's way.

tom10101, GJKerr, Phyl21ca and 13 others like this.
  12. mathieuc

mathieuc Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Canada (QC)

I think I received my box today at work but I was "unfortunately" away on a beer run. I will try to go pick it up tomorrow, can't wait to see what's inside! I figure it is for dabeerbuddah but will be able to confirm tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

VanJamer likes this.
  13. Beer_Baron123

Beer_Baron123 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2015 Canada (ON)

Finished my shopping today, got everything ready to go. I'll pack it all up on Sunday and ship it out on Monday

Hint #4: Looks like I was able to send all new to you brews except for two (which I'm sending anyway). One you haven't had since 2013 and the other one you've had the 2013 & 14 versions, but not the 2015 version (at least this is what my detective work tells me).

Derek and Erik-P like this.
  14. Derek

Derek Poo-Bah (4,007) Apr 2, 2005 Canada (BC)
    Society

The IPA that I wanted didn't come in, so I subbed a Wild IPA and dropped it at the post office. They said 7 business days, but I think it could be there for next weekend.

Hint #5: It's headed to the province that I was born in.

15. boney77

boney77 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2008 Canada (ON)

Great boxes so far!

Will be sending off my box this weekend. I hopefully managed to get my target all new bottles and couple of his wants.

Hint #3. You you live 6 blocks away from where I used to live. You could say my old local beer bar, and maybe your current, follows a rotating path.

16. Derek

Society

After sending my last hint, I realized that practically everyone outside of Ontario will be sending to Ontario and also be receiving from Ontario. (Sometimes I overlook the obvious). So yeah... I just dropped off a package that's headed to Ontario!

bdemarco, polloenfuego and Electros like this.
  17. Hal_Hickey

Hal_Hickey Initiate (63) Oct 17, 2014 Canada (BC)

Hint #4: My target's box will go out Sunday or Monday and will be delivered to a porch that is nearby an area influenced by a southwest Irish County.

18. mathieuc

[​IMG]
    Awesome box by first-timer dabeerbuddah! Full list later! Lots of new breweries in all kinds of styles with a lean toward my favorite ones! Thanks man!

tom10101, mtomlins, Phyl21ca and 11 others like this.
  19. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (285) Feb 4, 2016 Canada (ON)
    Trader

I'm very happy and relieved you approve! Went through your lists and I think all of these are ones you haven't had. Not that easy. LOL. Hope you enjoy drinking them as much as I enjoyed putting the box together. Cheers!

tom10101, Whatup14, Coronaeus and 2 others like this.
  20. DaveBar

DaveBar Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Canada (ON)

Bomb's away! One box heading east! Couldn't get too many of your requests but got nearly a half dozen of the want's taken care of!

Enjoy the swag/add on.

Whatup14 and Electros like this.
  21. mathieuc

All new ticks indeed and man did you pack extremely well! lol Had to wrestle with the box for a while and what did you use for the bottle caps? These things seem pretty neat and I might start using them myself!

Whatup14, Coronaeus and dabeerbuddha like this.
  22. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (285) Feb 4, 2016 Canada (ON)
    Trader

LOL. I broke a sweat packaging! Scared to death it would not arrive intact. A fellow BAer advised on the way he recommended shipping. He was my first and only IP trade. A quality guy, no doubt. The tape is self amagumaling plumbers tape. No adhesive. Purchased mine from Can Tire. Again a trick emparted to me by this A+++ BAer. I wanted to sent more but your mention of a trip to Toronto hand tied me. You seem proficient in getting what you want. Anyway enjoy and I hope to trade stories and/or beers with you in the future.

23. Soods

Soods Initiate (103) Oct 12, 2009 Canada (ON)

Finished my shopping today and hopefully will have all new ticks for someone that makes it really hard to give them something new. :slight_smile: Will send the package on Monday.

VanJamer, Electros and Whatup14 like this.
  24. PINOT8

PINOT8 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2013 Canada (ON)

HINT 3: Continuing to DRAW inspiration for my targets box :stuck_out_tongue:

Kump likes this.
  25. Shawn_Winters

Shawn_Winters Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2014 Canada (NS)

250 Oz are boxed and ready to ship. Most should be new and i tried to stay close to your wants/likes but threw in some interesting ones I have picked up along the way. Many show off the thriving, high caliber craft beer scene happening in Nova Scotia. Hope you enjoy when it lands!

Hint#2
    Looks like it took Google an entire season to go by your place!

26. Beer_Baron123

Beer_Baron123 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2015 Canada (ON)

I realized this morning that I recently moved somewhere that may actually have a postal outlet open on the weekend and I was correct. Sent my box out this morning.

This is my first time shipping so I'm terrified that my box won't arrive in tact, hoping everything will be fine though.

To my target, it there's any issues with the box, let me know and I'll make it up to you.

27. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy Initiate (34) Sep 5, 2014 Canada (NS)

Use the silicone tape and not the teflon tape, which tends to be very thin. You can usually find it by other tapes in the paint section. That being said, maybe the teflon tape can hold, I just wouldn't be as sure with the package contents moving around and such.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fushion-pro-self-fusing-white-silicone-tape-0670022p.html

byronic and Coronaeus like this.
  28. byronic

byronic Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2013 Canada (ON)

Box is all packed up and ready to be carefully dropped in the mail tomorrow. It's not light and packs a punch of 310oz, enjoy, but lift the top off carefully!

Last hint as it heads out the door: the box is ready to ship and is going to a town that sounds like bodily noise.

VanJamer, Whatup14 and polloenfuego like this.
  29. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,918) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Ya. That is the stuff. It is great for several reasons. It adheres well, creates a seal, has no glue so it doesn't mess up the caps, and it comes off very easily with just a small snip to the edge.

I have found, at least in my area, that it is not available at all Canadian Tire stores all the time. When I see it, i usually buy up the stoc

You can get it in black or white and a roll will do about about 24 bottles or so.

dabeerbuddha and CaptainMurphy like this.
  30. Derek

Society

I've only had a cap leak when I received a shipment that froze. I'm not sure tape would have helped. I did have a couple cans leak in my luggage once though... We flew threw some turbulence, and I assume it was a combination of the shaking and low pressure. It was an imperial stout and an IPA... Man did that luggage stink!

31. yasky

yasky Disciple (386) Dec 21, 2008 Canada (ON)

OK, 1 bottle to go and I can get this 12 shipper on the first truck outta here!

Final hint.... If I didn't know my Canadian geography any better I would predict that my target either likes skater shoes or vehicles that can carry a large Amount of skateboards.

Whatup14 likes this.
  32. boney77

boney77 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2008 Canada (ON)

Was waiting for that BA Orange Saison from Burdock, but couldn't get into TO to get it before it sold out. Bummer. However, an unexpected new release bottled on Friday and picked up today filled the last spot in the shipper.

The box is off! Last hint, some Ontario love, with a few US brews, will be landing in a city who's most awesome citizen thinks Travis Kalanick is a dick.

Whatup14 and Beervana like this.
  33. KeKeKumba

6269.69ml packed and ready to head west tomorrow. All Ontario beers except a lone Vermont bottle. Think I met your criteria, but there's one or two you've ticked already.

Your city's hockey team may have gotten bopped a little bit in the draft lottery last night, but your current GM did not look quite as upset as one of your former GM's did.

Whatup14 and Derek like this.
  34. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy Initiate (34) Sep 5, 2014 Canada (NS)

I haven't had caps leak, but I do hear corks/cages can leak at times. I figure might as well be safe and use tape.

I had a bottle smash on the flight home from San Jose before. Tape didn't help there. Neither did the US customs inspector who decided to remove several beers from their nicely packaged state and throw them back in all willy-nilly. So I get home at 2 am and throw all my clothes in the washer, when the washer starts to leak. Good grief, that was not a fun night. From now on any beer I fly with will be in individual zip-loc bags. :wink:

Hint the third: Your street has (almost) no pools, but lots of your neighbours to the east and west do. Expected to arrive on Thursday the 5th.

Whatup14 and yasky like this.
  35. guppster

guppster Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2016 Canada (ON)

Well I think I counted about 270oz, but I replaced a regular bottle with a growler I picked up today and had to modify the box a little. This 36.2lb box will be shipped tomorrow to a road named after a unit of water.

36. kcherney

kcherney Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2014 Canada (BC)

Target, I was really hoping your box would be there tomorrow. Hell, it still might. However, tracking says Tuesday.

37. Whatup14

Whatup14 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2013 Canada (QC)

Box's almost complete, a couple more bottles to get and it'll be shipped soon.

Hint #4: Looks like something on your street is burning.

38. billverstein

billverstein Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2011 Canada (ON)

I don't think my target has posted in this thread yet, so the box is making it's départ today regardless of what they have to say about it in either language.
    A heavy selection of Toronto heavy hitters with a sprinkle of a diagonal line going through the US starting in VT and ending in SD with a quick stop in the windy city.

dabeerbuddha, Coronaeus and Whatup14 like this.
  39. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,292) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

Item out for delivery, how exciting!!

40. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (3,353) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

The package is en route to the best coast. 263 oz of mostly locals going to someone who has tried a good deal of awesome Ontario beer. Ticked one want but I think he or she will appreciate the selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.