Canned beer. Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HaoleBoy, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaoleBoy

HaoleBoy Disciple (300) Mar 3, 2017 California

I spent about 15 years in the retail liquor business and, for reasons I'll not go into, developed a strong aversion (repulsion) to canned beers. Given that I drink almost exclusively West Coast beers within (usually) 1 month of bottling I'm wondering if my bias is denying me some delights.
    What do you think?

2. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yes, it's enying you...

More and more breweries canning more and more styles than just West Coast IPA. More and more hiquality beers are showing up in cans.

3. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,777) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Yes and no. If you have a strong repulsion to canned beer that is not easily shakeable, then that will matter more than the quality of the beer in the can.

Badfish, Gemini6, Zorro and 3 others like this.
  4. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2016 Texas

Yes, you are missing out. I promise you if you were blindfolded when the beer was poured you couldn't tell if it was from a can or a bottle.

LuskusDelph, jcos, Lucular and 11 others like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If you have such a strong reaction no reason to fight it, it is what it is. If you limit anything because of the vessel of course you miss out on some things. The biggest negative IMO is most pools/ beach are cans only no glass.

Badfish, Gemini6, Brolo75 and 3 others like this.
  6. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (7,354) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Fuck Yeah!

Cheers!

7. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

>Creates thread to hate on cans

>Won't go into it

>Asks for explanation

>Mfw :confused:

8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,977) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Yes. Oskar Blues.

9. HorseheadsHophead

Society

Them, and like three hundred other breweries. Cans freaking rule.

10. NJM

NJM Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2009 Massachusetts

A lot of great IPA is in cans, and cans only. Completely subjective and most likely just preference, but I will take a bottle of Firestone Walker, Stone, or whoever over the canned version any day.

11. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

Before getting into craft beer last year, I would only drink bottled brews (unless they weren't available). Canned beer always seemed to give an off-flavor I disliked. These were typically BMC beers with very little flavors to begin with. I always felt like the lack of flavors contributed to me getting that flat canned taste.

Because craft beer in cans has a whole different flavor base.. with multiple hops, malts, and adjuncts..cans don't seem to be capable of ruining the flavor profile, and I have embraced them like a best friend.

12. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,072) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I work in the liqour retail business. I like cans more than bottles. For convenience, space saving, carbonation. ( yes I believe bottled beer over time CO2 will escape) I see beer come in dusty and fucked up sometimes regardless of container. I pour into a glass every time unless im outside so it really doesn't matter too much technically but I do prefer cans if I've a choice.

tobelerone, Retsinis, jcos and 2 others like this.
  13. HaoleBoy

I only drink beer in the comfort of my home.

drtth likes this.
  14. HaoleBoy

hmm ... it was Dale's Pale Ale that prompted this thought. Was searching the somewhat limited choices of non-IPA's at my local market and was looking at Dale's.
    My revulsion comes from the number of maggots (due to punctured beers) I have had to clean off cans in the past. I know ... happens to bottles as well and yes, you should clean the cans first, but ... it is what it is.

LuskusDelph and drtth like this.
  15. HaoleBoy

asking for opinions is not hating where I come from.
    sorry if I offended you
    SMH

cavedave, Brolo75 and HopsAreDaMan like this.
  16. nc41

Society Trader

Then not enough to worry about, more than enough great beer in bottles especially stouts, sours, and great German imports. Especially since your in Ca, your distro is probably amazing.

HaoleBoy and LuskusDelph like this.
  17. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,072) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I like high Life in bottles more than cans I see what you mean about BMC container difference. I think for me it has to do with carbonation. Over time bottle caps can leak just a tad but enough to possibly notice. Those beers are so highly carbonated the chest gas is insane. I feel bottles are smoother for that.

18. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I like canned beer. I am drinking one now.

19. HorseheadsHophead

Society

Oh yeah? Whatcha drinkin'? :wink:

20. HorseheadsHophead

Society

Never mind. I just check "WBAYDN".

But yeah, almost every great beer comes in cans now. If you're pointlessly discriminating against cans at this point in the craft beer revolution, you're doing yourself an incalculable disservice.

21. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Yes because many excellent beer are sold only on tap and in cans.

22. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,609) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

23. JBogan

JBogan Savant (911) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

Not true at all. Nothing by St Bernardus, Rochefort, Cantillon, Westvleteren, Westmalle, Russian River, Orval, Struise, The Bruery and countless other great breweries come in cans. Nearly all of the best beers from Lagunitas, Firestone Walker, Sierra Nevada, Stone and many many more other breweries do not come in cans.

Hell, just look at your very own ratings to see you contradict yourself. The vast majority of your highest rated beers don't come in cans.

Badfish, Gemini6, Brolo75 and 6 others like this.
  24. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,283) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Yes. You're missing enjoying beer in cans. But, if it really matters so much to you, why even worry about it?

25. nc41

Society Trader

Beer at the beach and pool is too important to me to go without, besides I really prefer beer in cans anyway. Way too many advantages. But if the guy as a severe aversion why fight it just drink bottled beer. I hate asparagus , so I avoid it and refuse to eat it. There's other vegetables I like, so I'm ok with that.

cyclonece09, Gemini6 and TonyLema1 like this.
  26. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Glass is literally not allowed anywhere in public. So no beach, pool, or parks where alcohol is permitted. Which is a big deal if you go to those places, like me. A big reason cans are superior imo.

27. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Having spent some time working in the food processing industry I can fully undertand and sympathize with this. But notice that those cans you prepped for putting out on the shelf were still unpunctured and still sealed for the protection of your customers and so the contents were unaffected.

Maybe if you buy a container of hand sanitizer wipes and wipe a can clean for yourself you'd be able to pop it open and pour the clean, untouched beer into a glass before dumping the can and the wipe into the trash?

Squire likes this.
  28. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,977) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

And @Sixpoint .

29. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I worked at a redemption center for a summer back when I was younger so I feel your pain. Who knew so many mice liked to crawl inside empty bottles and die? And don't get me started on people who put out their cigarette butts in beer cans....

Ranbot likes this.
  30. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

O'Doyle RULES!

31. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Disciple (359) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

This goes to South Dakota but not Wyoming..geesh lol

bbtkd and Bitterbill like this.
  32. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Empirically, cans are generally better container for beer and that is why craft beer brewers and drinkers are switching to cans. The main improvements over bottles for the end consumer are cans block all UV light that could skunk beer; and the can seals are typically have a lower rate of oxygen ingress over time (i.e. less oxidation) than bottle cap or cork seals. Pour the beer into a glass and there's no difference to the consumer between cans and bottles, other than can is typically a slightly fresher product (There are some caveats, but generally-speaking this is true).

Cans also have some commercial advantages for distribution and fewer restrictions for public places where broken glass is a concern (beaches, pools, campgrounds, etc.), which others mentioned above.

However...
    That's a pretty strong feeling to get over. If that's going to influence your opinions no matter what then it's probably not worth fighting. There are still plenty of good bottle options. However, it might be worth your while to try to get one or two of best best beers in a can just to see if a really positive experience drinking a canned beer can help push you through that initial revulsion. There's more items than just beer that comes in cans, which this phobia could be impacting in your life.

And if that's any small consolation [or morbid interest], maybe knowing maggots can be helpful will make you ever so slightly less revolted by them... as disgusting as they look, maggots themselves are surprisingly clean and sanitary. Live maggots were used to treat necrotic wounds for centuries and doctors today still use them occasionally for wounds that resist standard drugs and surgical treatment methods with pretty high success rates. There are numerous published medical studies about this.... HERE is a link to a summary of one study (don't worry, no pictures).

Gemini6, tobelerone, mickyge and 8 others like this.
  33. jparizo

jparizo Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 Indiana

Since you didn't explain why you don't like cans, it's difficult to determine if you'll be able to change your mind and be able to enjoy a beer out of a can.
    The materials on the inside are extremely sanitary (food grade) and actually protect the beer more than bottles. If you are worried about the outside being dirty, you can soak them in the sink for a while to clean them. My wife uses a water and distilled white vinegar mixture to clear fruit, which leaves no taste and would probably work as well with cans.
    Cracking a can of All Day IPA (or another fine beer) at the beach is one of life's pleasures I'd be unable to live without. Also, the more I drink non-dark beers out of cans, the more I love it.
    Cheers.

Edit: Sorry, missed your explanation. Completely understandable.

drunkenmess likes this.
  34. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (180) Nov 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Are you drinking from the can, or pouring into a glass? If you're drinking from the can, I can certainly see why you wouldn't like it. IMO, pouring from a can to a glass is the tastiest way to drink most beers. I've found that several beers I get on tap, are actually better from the can poured into a glass.

35. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (459) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

i prefer glass, hands down. i sometimes buy canned items because that's what's available. it's not my favorite option though.

notice, some will say they taste a definite difference attributable directly to a can itself (as some have suggested about BMC/less flavorful beer). i've heard of & experienced off tasting beers /batches in glass but never in my recollection have i heard a single complainant blame glass, itself, for different, off or unintended flavors.

my take is probably biased from a summer position i held as a youth for a major distributor. then there's also the BPA can lining issue. i'm sure the : shut up with your conspiracy theory folks are all revved up & ready to cite their favorite proofs & reasons to not be concerned. personally, i'd rather just drink what i believe is clean. for me, it's peace of mind more so than a piece of mind. to each their own.

dcotom, NJM, cavedave and 6 others like this.
  36. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (2,063) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

Yes, cans suck and I will tell you why. In the old days (last year) all the best beer came in 750ml bottles. I would go to the brewery to buy it and, while I was there, I would also buy the 12/13oz branded tulip which every brewery sells. Here's the thing: a 16oz can does not fit into a 12/13oz tulip! And once you have opened a 16oz can, you are obligated to drink it immediately. A 750ml bottle is exactly 2 12/13oz tulip glass servings so you can either share it (fuck that) or press the cap back on and drink the rest in half an hour. So, what am I supposed to do with my 300-odd tulip glasses now? I'm way to lazy to homebrew. How many breweries even sell imperial pint glasses, let alone with nice, wide bases that don't tip over easily? Death to cans, bring back the 750ml bottle.

37. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,777) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I respectfully think that every point above is a bit of an exageration. The "every great beer" part was already conmented on by someone else. The OP's discrimination isn't pointless to him. "Revolution?" :wink: And lastly, he's not doing himself an incalculable disservice by not drinking canned beer. There's so much out there and only so much one can drink. :slight_smile:

ecpho, JBogan and Highbrow like this.
  38. matthewp

matthewp Aspirant (234) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Us: Lists out 100 reasons why to give cans a chance
    You: Brings up maggots
    Me: Throws up a little in my mouth and gives up

That's a pretty good reason to have a revulsion to cans, probably the best reason anyone's ever given, lol. Do you avoid canned soda too? Seriously though there's too much good beer being delivered in cans these days to not wipe the top and drink from a glass. I personally never drink from the can unless I have to too for the types of reasons you quote. There's so many things to be grossed out about in the food and drink industry, if you focus on it all you'll go hungry avoiding everything.

mickyge and HopsAreDaMan like this.
  39. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

@HorseheadsHopHead @Urk1127 @drtth @zid

in about six weeks we'll be releasing a whole new wave of innovation in formulation, design, and other elements of our canned beers....maybe that will help change your opinion @kitekid on cans....

40. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,026) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Cans are incredibly convenient, easily packable, lighter overall. That's about their only advantage but I buy a bunch because well...some beers only come in cans (I know, shocker).
    On the other hand, bottles are far less damaging (raw resources, recycling ad nauseum, no plastic topper rings to deal with) and are still classier to some degree.
    What's a beer lover to do? Embrace your preferences. Good day.

neenerzig, cyclonece09, VABA and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.