Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Comment Cannot add Odonata Beers to "Hads"

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 9, 2013.

1. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Oct 19, 2010 California

Hi,
    I've been updating some of my Hads from old lists today, and when I tried to add a few beers from Odonata brewing (RIP), the option to add/review them is not there. It's very strange. Can you look into this?
    Thank you.

2. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Oct 19, 2010 California

Aaah. Gotcha. Strange that you can still review Retired beers from breweries that do still exist.

3. MusicaleMike

MusicaleMike Mar 17, 2008 Pennsylvania

Is there a reason for this rule? I would love to add a review of a beer from a closed brewery...I mean, I have the bottle...so why not?

kojevergas likes this.
  4. MasterSki

MasterSki Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

The main utilities of the beer reviews on this website are a) other people can research what beers to purchase and drink (or avoid), b) bars, stores, and restaurants can research what beers their clientele want them to stock, and to a lesser extent c) breweries can know which smaller batch beers are most successful (as sales volume on small batches isn't always helpful - if it's limited production it may sell out regardless).

Since adding additional reviews to defunct breweries doesn't achieve b) and c) at all, and only nominally addresses a) to the extent that the beers are still palatable and available somewhere, they're of limited use to the community. You're welcome to discuss your experiences in the cellared/aging beer forum and keep your own records though.

5. MusicaleMike

MusicaleMike Mar 17, 2008 Pennsylvania

Thanks! Out of curiosity, what would happen if I attempted to edit a review from said defunct brewery? Would it update the score of that beer?

6. MasterSki

MasterSki Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

You'll get an error message.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe