Cantillon in Boston (Fort Point)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by mj0126, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj0126

mj0126 Initiate (152) Mar 2, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just saw this today, so figured I'd at least post for people's info. Bee's Knees Supply down in Fort Point has bottles of Classic Gueuze (I counted ~6 on the shelf), bottled 10/4/13. I checked them out, until I saw the $50 price tag. So if you really want some Loons...

2. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

jeeeez thats steep. I bought some in DC for 25 at Church Key

3. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (97) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

4. mj0126

mj0126 Initiate (152) Mar 2, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yessir.

LakesideBrewing likes this.
  5. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Devotee (408) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow, awful price.

Considering the neighborhood, I'm sure those bottles won't last the day though.

MattOC likes this.
  6. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'll be in the area tomorrow morning, but I expect them to be long gone by then even at that price. Thanks for the heads up.

7. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (470) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Wow, that's an embarrassing price. IMO

8. Fluke828

Fluke828 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2011 Massachusetts

That place is a colossal ripoff IMO

9. a74gent

a74gent Aspirant (290) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow....it wasn't Boston area, but I think I paid less than 20 for my last one. Amazing...

10. jlordi12

Shame too. Their selection is legit

11. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2012 Rhode Island

If the six bottles sell in one day for $50 a piece, then it isn't a bad price. For some the price may seem unreasonable, but obviously the store priced it right if they still sell off the bottles at a higher price tag.

chippo33, a74gent and RMoeNay like this.
  12. jlordi12

I hate that argument, at that point you are catering to the rich or stupid.

ilovermont and BostonBrewins like this.
  13. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Devotee (496) Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah i cant stand the well if it sells, its the right price. Is it not because of this price gouging that we have the current zwanze day format?
    Shelton should honor jeans request that his beer not be profiteered in this manner and take away this stores account.

14. concealed

concealed Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

not a bad business to be in man

chippo33 and Auror like this.
  15. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Majority of the stuff in there is temendously overpriced. Most of it mediocre in quality.

BraisingCain, messrock and Fluke828 like this.
  16. LiquidCourage

Its not catering to the rich, its supply and demand. There are around six bottles at the store, not hundreds. Should they price the Cantillon bottles at $10 each so that the first six people who walk in the door get them? Or should they use a more appropriate price tag and have six people who value that beer more get it?

chippo33 likes this.
  17. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

I understand and in theory I would be with you on this, but when supply is as low as 6, it's not a good indicator of S/D.

ilovermont likes this.
  18. BearsOnAcid

You can buy Cantillon gueuze online for much cheaper. People who would drop some coin on Cantillon should already know that. The people spending $50 on a bottle are just rich idiots which are abundant in that store so BK knows they can probably sell them off easily.

GonzoHomebrewer and codasnap52 like this.
  19. messrock

messrock Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2010 Massachusetts

That's higher than bar markup for the Geueze. You can typically find the 750s on premise for ~40

20. BostonBrewins

BostonBrewins Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2009 Massachusetts

The hype machine is out of control.

21. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

I would say there is some value in being able to walk into a store and buy it right then and there. Yes you can buy from overseas for cheaper bottle prices. Maybe someone doesn't want to wait 7 days for their package to arrive. Maybe they don't want to place a large order to make shipping feasible.

I wouldn't pay the $50 at the moment, but blindly saying "The people spending $50 a bottle are just rich idiots" is disingenuous. That's what it is called making broad generalizations, which while not illegal is not always accurate.

You could accurately say $50 is not worth it to you.

LiquidCourage likes this.
  22. a74gent

a74gent Aspirant (290) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ok, now that the grammar and economics lessons have concluded..lol. We should all quit lamenting the state of our game...the bottles were $15 when none of us wanted them.

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  23. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts

How available is cantillon in boston? Moving to the area next month..

24. NickDrista

NickDrista Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 Massachusetts

A couple times of year...not all the time by any means.

25. BearsOnAcid

I guess there is value in having it right away at the store. That would be a great arguement if Cantillon was somewhat available throughout the year. Instead you have to wait all year and track down a store that gets a case or two. It doesn't even see shelves at most places and you probably need to "know the beer guy". Or you have a place like this where you can shell out $50 for a bottle of Cantillon's basic offering.

You can place an order for some online at less than half the price and pop bottles until you pass out.

I'l take back my statement about "rich idiots" and just say they have questionable spending habits or they lack some patience.

26. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (671) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

So true. Back in my Belgian-ticking days in the early '00s I used to scoff at a place that dared to sell their 'Loon bottles for $20 (& they had a huge shelf with many varieties that sat around forever). Glad I'm not in that phase now.

Can't say I really blame Bee's Knees for selling so high, they know they'll get it. Current day hysterical Loon tickers/traders/collectors gotta have it.

27. LiquidCourage

Whose to say what an appropriate price is? Lets say they lowered the price to $25, that might be "appropriate" to you, but someone else might be saying its outrageous that one beer can cost that much.

Red Sox could charge $10 a ticket behind homeplate because there are thousands of people who want to sit there. Instead, they charge $200 a game. Less people want to sit there, but there is still enough demand to sell out that section. While many people balk at the "inappropriate" $200 ticket price, the red sox still sell out.

Bottom line is that store knows it could sell those bottles at $25 or just as quickly at $50.

RMoeNay, SunDevilBeer and Rekrule like this.
  28. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (371) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I have little problem with free market economics.

That said it's a silly price I would not pay. Would rather trade with partners overseas.

RMoeNay likes this.
  29. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (247) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

I got one at Julio's for $20 and that's why they are pretty much the only place I go to for beer, so they make more in my return business.

ChrisMyhre and Jnorton00 like this.
  30. mushrooms

mushrooms Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2013 Uzbekistan

Lol. Cheaper for on-premise consumption at Hobo. Hope Shelton doesn't give these clowns bottles again anytime soon.

BraisingCain and jlordi12 like this.
  31. RCL

RCL Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2008 Massachusetts

Madness!
    You could buy 5 whole Budweisers at Fenway for that price!
    And it's fresh on draft!

Auror and a74gent like this.
  32. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I think I guzzled the small bottles in Brussels for ~5 euros a pop. Not apples to apples (it's an import here obviously, and that's a 750), but still, $50 is insane. If you pay that price for just the Classic Gueuze you should have your Beeradvocate license revoked.

jlordi12 likes this.
  33. BostonBrewins

BostonBrewins Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2009 Massachusetts

Seems to be little difference between that store and the bloodsuckers on Ebay. Same Supply and Demand/Free Market mentality.

34. moaner

moaner Initiate (129) Oct 18, 2003 Massachusetts

The Shelton's don't decide which accounts get it. Craft Brewer's Guild (distributor) Sales Reps do.

Shelton's can't tell Craft who to sell to or not. They can, and do, make suggestions.

We put 12 bottles on the menu 2 days ago for $40. It's gone now.

35. LiquidCourage

Is it insane that people pay $50 for Bourbon Dark Lord? What about $45 for Grey Monday? How about $10 for light beer at a Bruins game?

The bottom line is, if you dont like the price just walk away. Beer is a luxuary item. Many people have no problem dropping $50 on a bottle of Cantillon. I dont value Cantillon that much so I would have walked away. If the store was selling Black Tuesday for $50, I would have bought it.

There simply arent enough bottles to go around. If you want the price to be lower, tell Cantillon to brew more. Until then, we'll continue to see high prices (or lower prices and a 5 minute shelf life) because so many people want those beers. Many of us will walk past the beers, but many others will still buy them.

36. HighLowJack

Trader

to me $50 is insane simply b/c there are better and cheaper ways to get the same beer. you can't tell me someone ok with spending $50 on a single bottle wouldn't be ok spending $150 to get a whole bunch of bottles. and ordering online is actually easier than going to the store, you just need to wait a bit to get a bottle. but I doubt anyone buying these bottles had a need to drink it immediately

37. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Every time I get an update alert for this thread I expect/hope it to be someone saying they bought one and/or multiple from the Bee's Knees. I'm surprised nothing yet or maybe no one wants to admit it. I was down there today getting fills at Trillium, but I didn't even bother checking it out.

NickDrista likes this.
  38. BobCobb

BobCobb Disciple (300) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Kudos for fighting the good fight, but people don't take kindly to supply/demand pricing around these parts.

I will say that @jomobono did touch on a crucial consideration for stores that jack up prices on limited stuff. That is, whatever premium was gained from significantly marked up Cantillon might be erased in lost volume from Joe Schmos who are offended and take their business elsewhere (where they still likely won't get any Cantillon).

39. HighLowJack

Trader

re: repeat business - perhaps.

me, I go to my regular price to buy beer 95% of the time. however, they jack up pricing on any special release, so I tend not to buy stuff like KBS and BCBS/varieties there (I passed on KBS and BCBS Coffee and Barleywine b/c of prices even though it was on the shelf). however that doesn't stop me from going to pick up everyday stuff as it's convenient to me and they have a good selection of normal stuff.

I guess if it wasn't convenient to me I wouldn't go. but I don't begrudge them for making whatever they can on the really hard to find stuff.

LiquidCourage likes this.
  40. LiquidCourage

I'd suspect 90 percent of liquor store patrons go to a store because of location. It's either near work, near home or on the way to either. Most people aren't going to drive an extra 25 min out of there way to save 10 dollars on cantillon. Just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.