Cape Ann Brewing Company has permanently closed

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Todd, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,681) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Here's a note from Jeremy Goldberg that was just posted on Cape Ann Brewing's Facebook page...

---

It is with much sadness that I announce the permanent closure of the Cape Ann Brewing Company.

During the summer of 2002, a casual conversation spawned the, perhaps ill-thought, idea of what would become the Cape Ann Brewing Company. Since that day, we strove to create a brand and a place that would represent "the courage and spirit of the North Atlantic Fishing Fleet." We are proud of what we've created over the past 18 years. During this time we've weathered many storms, at times enjoyed smooth seas, and have always been thankful for the stong headwinds that have guided our voyage. Unfortunately, the current climate has proven to be our last sail. (Is that enough sailing cliches?)

For myself, I'll always be grateful for the friendships I've made and I thank you all for allowing me to be part of your community. To our customers, I can't thank you enough for your support and patronage. To my staff over the years, I have been extraordinarily lucky to have the best team. Thank you for all your hard work. I always strove to create an environment where everyone felt like family and I hope we were able to achieve that for our staff and guests alike.

May all your future voyages be full of good food, good beer, and good company!

###

2. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (393) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

That’s a shame. They had a nice spot there. Was nice on the deck in the summer.

My wee fella used to enjoy getting the train out there from Beverly. Nice wee ride along the coast. Then a walk into town for fish tacos and a beer at Cape Ann. I’ll miss that place.

FrankLloydMike and SunDevilBeer like this.
  3. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (545) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I’m surprised that I’ve literally never heard of them and I consider myself well informed on the NE craft beer scene. Perhaps the lack of publicity was part of the issue

4. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (2,095) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

That sucks. I have been there twice and the food/beer was pretty damn good both times. Great atmosphere too, out on the deck. Ah well. It happens.

5. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (355) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

Sorry to hear this. It was a beautiful spot on the harbor by the Gloucester fishing boats, real New England. And a friendly welcoming pub. Good beer with an occasional great beer. And oyster stout with ground oyster shells comes to mind. Hope a new brewery moves in.

6. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (669) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Around ~ 15 years ago I used to drink a bunch of Fisherman’s Ale, a nice drinkable brown ale. IIRC they had a decent altbier too. I think they got lost in the shuffle as IPAs became what everyone was looking for & sadly I don’t think their hoppy beers were very good at all. I can’t even remember the last time I saw their beer in stores.

But as others have mentioned, beers on their deck & a fish sandwich was a nice take in summer time.

7. Trull

Trull Disciple (388) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

My wife and I had lunch a couple of beers there on the deck last year. Decent beer with a great harbor side location. Too bad they couldn’t hang on until things hopefully open up this summer.....it’s certainly been tough year for most breweries.

8. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (393) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

pretty much nail on head.

the beers werent stellar. They never really seemed to be able to nail down a decent ipa they could use as a flagship.

But still, not every brewery experience is waiting in line for $20 of fruit juice that will have expired by the time you get home. These guys put a nice package together with the bar, kitchen and deck. A proper local place to hang out.

9. liquorpig

liquorpig Meyvn (1,275) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

IMO, the pumpkin stout and imperial pumpkin stout were also standouts.

tigg924, bostonwolf, meefmoff and 7 others like this.
  10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,941) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Probably what they were most known for over the years too. They were one of, if not the first brewery to make a pumpkin stout that I can recall.

Providence, ericwo, ichorNet and 3 others like this.
  11. Dave_32

Dave_32 Initiate (51) Apr 7, 2015 Massachusetts

That imperial pumpkin stout was dangerous

12. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

They had a great spot, great location, the food was good, but beer was decent.
    Nothing mind-blowing, but solid for sure.
    I went a couple times after schooner rides from around the corner from there.
    Sad to see them go, though. LIkely turn into another overpriced seafood place.

13. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ah, this one stings :slight_frown:

Taking the dog to a Gloucester beach in the winter and then going to Cape Ann has been a favorite weekend activity for my wife and I for years now. Loved the pumpkin stout and generally enjoyed anything they had on offer beer wise. Good food too as has been mentioned. I don't think off site sales were ever a big part of their business so this past year must have been especially tough on them.

FrankLloydMike and SABERG like this.
  14. BCarder

BCarder Initiate (88) Dec 16, 2011 Massachusetts

Let's not forget how good the Sunrise Saison was. I'm going to miss them.

skivtjerry, kinopio and SABERG like this.
  15. mltobin

mltobin Poo-Bah (1,913) Apr 1, 2007 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I was introduced to them by Barcade in Brooklyn. There was a special with a pint of Fisherman's Brew & a shot of Jim Beam for $7. In an expensive city where you've already tried nearly all the other beers on draft, an easy choice.

Their pumpkin stout was also tasty as noted. I would have loved to have enjoyed a beer on site with a view of the harbor. It is a real shame that they are closing up shop, while plenty of newbies have entered the scene focusing on unimaginative hazy IPAs.

SABERG likes this.
  16. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (785) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I think their pumpkin stout was one of the best pumpkin beers I've had. I had stopped seeing their stuff in recent years. Every fall I used to hope to see the pumpkin stout so I could buy a 6 pack but was unsuccessful the last couple of years. Too bad.

17. 1009

1009 Zealot (523) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is really a bummer. I loved sipping on Annie's Eyes as I watched the hustle and bustle of the boats and soak up the sun on the little deck they had. A great spot. The Fisherman's IPA was pretty good too, but something about Annie's Eyes will have my heart forever. I will await her return, but until then, maybe in another life my love.

FrankLloydMike, meefmoff and SABERG like this.
  18. ScottBrianB

ScottBrianB Disciple (340) Oct 10, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

Has anything taken over the spot yet?

19. Providence

Providence Champion (814) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Fisherman's Brew was a solid beer option during many trips to the North Shore back in 10-15 years ago. Bummer to see it go, but it's not a shocker given how much has changed in the past few years.

SunDevilBeer likes this.