Car, Tech or Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IPAExpert69, Nov 15, 2019.

?

What do you do more research when purchasing?

1. Beer

25.8%
  2. Car

51.7%
  3. New Tech (Phone, Laptop, Video Game etc.

22.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (245) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

A friend and I got into an argument last night over research when purchasing products. He found it laughable that I spend more time researching beers to buy than when I bought my new car. So, I wanted to see if I was just crazy or everyone on BA feels similarly!

DIM, dcotom, Roguer and 1 other person like this.
  2. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

On the surface this seems like an easy question, but somehow it’s not haha. I just bought a new car, but I typically stay with the same make and model that I trust, so it was a no brainer just getting an updated model.

Not much of a tech-y kinda guy, but when I make a legitimate investment on something new, I dig deep.

it’s so easy now to research a beer, gauge general opinions/reviews of it. On the basis of frequency, beer. On the basis of research on one item, definitely a tech item that I’d consider more of an investment.

dcotom likes this.
  3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,997) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I never "research" beers. As long as it doesn't say coffee or pumpkin on the label, I buy it.

4. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,798) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

What if it says hazy, orange, or juicebox? :wink:

beergoot, SFACRKnight, Roguer and 3 others like this.
  5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,678) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Car was my answer and it should be the most frequent answer here just because of what we have to spend for them nowadays. I'll research a little bit for tech stuff, but I rarely research for beers.

seakayak and DrumKid003 like this.
  6. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (245) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Early results are indicating otherwise, which to me is quite fascinating! Priorities seem skewed by more than finances, pleasure is important too. Hence why I said beer!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  7. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I'm finding more and more beers that don't mention murkiness on the labels, so I often get unpleasant surprises.

jakecattleco and zid like this.
  8. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

CAR, hands down. I will never understand how people continue to buy cars online without seeing them in person to perform a PPI and test driving them.

Idiot searching the web: I love how this car looks, and it fits my style/personality. Eh, it's $5,000 over my budget but I love it nonetheless. 3 months later... I hate this piece of shit: it rides hard, the visibility is terrible, and it doesn't have enough space for all of my stuff.

9. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

Look at the number of people on this site who are from a big city. I would hazard a guess that quite a few of them have never done research on a car because they ride the train or bus everywhere.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  10. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,491) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

There is a strong wording bias here. Is it research time per purchase or research time overall?

I have a hard time believing people spend more time researching beers per purchase than cars. A car is a purchase made every few years with the American average loan being 5 years (woah!). By contrast, a beer is paid for complete at the time of purchase (with the exception of rolling-over credit card usage). If we're discussing research per purchase reading even an hour about 4 different car models would put your total research time per purchase at 4 hours. In order to match this with beer, you'd have to read 4 hours per new-beer purchased - including draft beers. By virtue, it'll be more difficult to do a comparative level of research with beer than cars since new beer can be purchased by the dozens with ease in comparison with purchasing one car even every couple of years.

Now if we contrasted this with research time overall, that's a completely different metric. We're on a forum that discusses beer. By virtue, we're 'researching purchases' by browsing these forums. It may not amount to much time per specific beer, but it may account for more total research time than car purchasing research.

And on the other hand, some people lease their vehicles. There should be a fourth option to acknowledge this as a portion of the survey does not apply to them.

11. IKR

IKR Savant (914) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

I don't give a shit about a cell phone, tablet, etc, but I'm serious about my motorsports/cars and beer. I voted car because of the cost but I do more fair share of beer research!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  12. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I have a car that runs and don't care for tech stuff so with the many beers on the market I want to spend my money on something good to drink so reviews help me see if the flavor profile matches my liking.

13. marquis

marquis Champion (825) Nov 20, 2005 England

My research when buying beer is to ask for a sample.

14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,678) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Results have turned after 27 votes and cars are at 48%.. Maybe there is hope for sanity. :slight_smile:

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  15. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (675) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

+1.... that's a really important distinction.

Regardless, for me research before purchasing beer is mostly non-existent. I discovered years ago that beer ratings and reviews don't necessarily line up with I like. I walk through the store and get what looks good or interesting to me [and fresh].

EDIT: I assumed it was per purchase and responded car. If it's overall research time then I would vote tech.

16. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,374) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I don't often buy cars but when I do, I do a decent amount of research into what I want/need.

Don't buy much tech at all ... so little research goes into that.

Damn, it might be beer that I spend the most time researching :joy:

IPAExpert69 and DIM like this.
  17. Bigrock

Bigrock Initiate (170) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Time per dollar spent - beer.

dcotom and deleted_user_950283 like this.
  18. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,831) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I sometimes do a quick search on beer reviews when choosing a beer, though mainly to ensure I haven't reviewed it before. If reviews suck, I won't try it. As far as cars, twice I've bought a car without even test driving it. But electronics - I research the hell out of those. They can be glitchier than cars.

dcotom and BBThunderbolt like this.
  19. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,344) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Not true anymore. We're getting worse. The average loan length is about 69 months, I believe, with 72 months being the most common loan. From Edmunds:

By the third quarter of 2015, 43.5% of new-car buyers had loans of 61 to 72 months, according to Experian. The credit reporting agency noted that 27.5% of buyers had even longer terms for making monthly new car payments: 73 to 84 months. The typical car loan length has also grown longer for used car buyers, with 41.3% of consumers in this category choosing 61 to 72-month loans, notes Experian. There are 16.2% of used car purchasers who finance their vehicles for between 73 and 84 months.

That means nearly three-quarters of new car buyers take out loans of 61 months or more, and 57.5% of used car buyers have a car loan length of 61 months or more – both of which are beyond what was typical just 10 years ago. In 2018, the most common car loan length for new and used vehicles 72 months, followed by 84 months, according to Edmunds, which recommends a limit of 60-month auto loans.

20. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Yeah, beers I know, don't mind the gamble on the unknown.

Cars, I've never bought new, so whenever I'm looking at a car (actually truck), I have a pretty solid base idea of the history of the make/model/generation/year, and just go by price.

Tech? I don't know jackshit about that, and research the hell out of it. Read online, talk to all my techie nerd friends, ask my regular non-techie friends, shit, I'll ask the crazy guy on the corner what the hell he thinks. And, I still generally end up buying at least a generation behind.

PapaGoose03 and bbtkd like this.
  21. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (10,032) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I usually (if not always) consult BA ratings before buying beers I'm not familiar with which doesn't take much time. With car purchases, I've been buying the same brand for the past (20) years which also requires no research and I haven't been burned. If I change car brands I'll be researching my options much deeper because of the long term investment (vs. beer). Overall, I agree with OCD @Harrison8 with his cerebral analysis (you owe me one college credit for that read and don't let it go to your head). :kissing_heart:

#21 jzeilinger, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    DIM, Mickt465, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  22. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

I voted car because if I did buy a new car I would definitely put a lot of research into it before making a decision. I used to look at a beer's score and reviews on here before making a purchase but now I only do that if it's from a brewery I am not familiar with. I tend to buy from breweries I know I like and can reasonably expect solid beers from so theres no need to do research. If I were to drop a lot of money on a new phone/computer I would probably do some research, but not as much as I would if buying a car, if I had to guess.

23. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (10,032) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

P.S. - Meant to say, "Agree with some points".

24. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Shit! Really? I, personally, find those numbers stunning.

I get that modern cars/light trucks are leagues better than back when, and deserve the higher prices, but, a 66-72 month loan on a used car? And that's accepted as the norm?

Man, tha danged old world has changed.

The days of my friends and I buying a beater for a couple hundos, spending a few nights drinking cheap beer while fixing it up, selling it for 800, and, wash rinse repeat on basically a weekly basis are certainly gone.

BTW, anybody seen my virginity? Seem to be missing that too. :wink:

jakecattleco and jvgoor3786 like this.
  25. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,538) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I drive a 2001 Toyota Highlander. It has a cigarette lighter in it. It still has like 60,000 miles left on it. There is no life in OC/LA without a car. I still like beer better.

DIM and BBThunderbolt like this.
  26. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (138) May 28, 2008 Florida

Cars, not even close in my case. At 6'4" and a 33" inseam, finding something with room for comfortable driving within budget is a unicorn hunt.

BBThunderbolt and keithmurray like this.
  27. keithmurray

keithmurray Poo-Bah (1,793) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

1. Car
    2. Beer (especially if it is from a brewer I am unfamiliar with)
    3. Tech - i dont purchase new tech frequently but when I do, I pretty much know what I want before buying, so I just do a little reading up to confirm my choice

DIM likes this.
  28. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,058) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I voted beer. Only research I do on cars is whatever cheapest that meets my needs from a reliable brand. At 215,000 ish miles now, so worked out fine last time.

Tech I just buy iPhone, etc when old one needs replacement. I don’t really care if others do something better, I’m just comfortable using this brands OS at this point.

I don’t necessarily think I spend time “researching” beer other than checking what something is if it’s blowing up the trade forum or reviewing tap lists or what’s available at local breweries. I follow a handful of breweries on twitter.

29. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,344) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I'm driving a 2001 VW I bought for $8000 cash about six years ago. In about 18 months I get an antique car plate for it. I'm pumped. I read an article recently that said the average price paid for a new car in 2019 was around $37,000. This is a big increase over the last few years, but the base price of new cars has not risen much. They say the reason the loan amount has increased while car prices haven't is because with longer loans people are getting more options on their cars and pushing up the price but the payments don't go up - they just get longer. Scary to think about.

30. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,034) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Did the car shopping thing last year, I wanted some options and didn't want to overspend or roll the dice on something used so it took a lot of research. It was well worth it.

Tech, I play the waiting game. Wait for a year or two and on a sales holiday get a deal on something like a TV. Same thing with phones when the new options drop just wait till the options are there for cheaper.

Beer is my true impulse buy/splurge. I don't do much if any research besides checking out the WBYDN thread and reading feedback. It's generally check dates/ check price and if I'm feeling inclined go for it.

31. Mickt465

Mickt465 Disciple (318) Sep 12, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

1. Beer. I purchase beer weekly. On a budget. Always trying new brews.
    2. Tech. I only upgrade when my stuff breaks. Rarely for myself. Usually as gifts.
    3. Trucks. I am forced to own heavy duty trucks. Due to my occupation. There are basically 3 options. So it makes things pretty easy. (Ford, GM/Chevy, Ram)

32. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,428) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Seeing as I only buy a new car every 20 or so years, I definitely spend a lot more time researching/test driving/etc than I do for either tech or beer. I do more research into tech than beer as I also tend to keep it for quite a while. As for beer, I'll give just about any beer a shot so I spend far less time researching before purchase but far more time finding Places before I travel.

33. BFCarr

BFCarr Poo-Bah (1,501) Feb 13, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've regretted beers I've bought. I may have purchased the wrong tech, but never really regretted it. Never regretted a car I've bought.

Costs dictate the amount or research I've done on a purchase. A bad $30 dollar bomber of beer, oh well. A bad $30K car? Damn, I suck.

34. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,297) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

1. Car ... a vehicle needs to last
    2. Beer ... I drink only temporarily satisfies
    3. Tech ... just go away or slow down

35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

We only buy Nissans, I like the Continuous drive, no transmission problems for over 300, 000 miles. Never a minute of trouble with any I’ve bought so far. Every 75-100K miles you replace the fluid $150 and that’s it.

GOBLIN and DIM like this.
  36. Insomniac

Insomniac Disciple (332) Nov 5, 2019 Canada (ON)
    Deactivated

While not mentioned as an option, I spend more time researching my travel plans than any of these other three.

IPAExpert69 and DIM like this.
  37. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,669) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Cars- I just check consumer reports to see which old Hondas are most reliable. 10 minutes every 7-10 years.

Tech- I have an 8 year old laptop and I am always a generation or two behind on my smart phones. I rely on word of mouth here. 10 minutes of lifetime research, maybe.

Beer- 13 years on BA, thousands of buying decisions in that time, research probably measured in weeks total.

Parenting- :flushed:

nc41 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.