Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Carbonating a Brett Saison After 7 Months

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ewright, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ewright

I've had a peachy Saison-Brett, of a sorts, in secondary for about 7 months now. It tastes really good, has fermented down to 1.002 and is ready to bottle. I originally used Belgian saison yeast + dregs from Brux. After 2 months, I added dregs of another homebrew that had French saison yeast.

I'm worried about having enough viable yeast to consume the priming sugar. Will it be ok, or do I need to add more fresh yeast and/or Brett at this point? If I don't add anything, can I expect a normal carbonation level in 3 weeks, or will it take longer to carbonate?

2. benidy

3. atomeyes

Beer Trader

you will carbonate just fine. don't fret.
    give it a month just to be safe AND so that it can taste good. hell, i'd give it 3 months in a bottle before i taste it. brett will talking quite loud by then.

4. tuckerlikesbeer

Beer Trader

I bottled a bretted farmhouse in November that was almost 12 months old. I was going to add dry wine yeast at bottling time but forgot. It carbonated within 6 weeks. No problems. You should be fine. That brett is tough.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe