Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Carbonating a Brett Saison After 7 Months

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ewright, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewright

ewright Oct 25, 2007 North Carolina

I've had a peachy Saison-Brett, of a sorts, in secondary for about 7 months now. It tastes really good, has fermented down to 1.002 and is ready to bottle. I originally used Belgian saison yeast + dregs from Brux. After 2 months, I added dregs of another homebrew that had French saison yeast.

I'm worried about having enough viable yeast to consume the priming sugar. Will it be ok, or do I need to add more fresh yeast and/or Brett at this point? If I don't add anything, can I expect a normal carbonation level in 3 weeks, or will it take longer to carbonate?

2. benidy

benidy May 4, 2008 Missouri

3. atomeyes

atomeyes Jul 13, 2011 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

you will carbonate just fine. don't fret.
    give it a month just to be safe AND so that it can taste good. hell, i'd give it 3 months in a bottle before i taste it. brett will talking quite loud by then.

4. tuckerlikesbeer

tuckerlikesbeer Jun 9, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I bottled a bretted farmhouse in November that was almost 12 months old. I was going to add dry wine yeast at bottling time but forgot. It carbonated within 6 weeks. No problems. You should be fine. That brett is tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe