Carlsberg hopes to turnaround company by admitting its beer sucks

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by deadwolfbones, Apr 15, 2019.

1. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (103) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

More: https://thetakeout.com/carlsberg-hopes-turnaround-company-admitting-beer-sucks-1834048788

[​IMG]

2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,206) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Sounds enticing -- now if I can find this newer rendition in replacement of all the old stock floating around my area. Maybe in time.

3. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,336) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Interesting. IMHO, Carlsberg brewing has been churning out bland, flavorless swill for a LONG time now. I remember seeing it on tap a lot during trips to Ireland and (less so) trips to London. It seemed to be popular with customers who wanted something they thought was light and not very filling (the antithesis of Guinness I guess). Unfortunately for Carlsberg, I think Budweiser and Coors light have now filled that niche (at least that was the impression I had when I was last over there), so my guess is that sales have probably plummeted (and for some time now).

There was a time when I thought of Carlsberg as a rich, full flavored lager, much in the same vein as Heineken at the time (this was before the craft brewing industry had really taken off in the US). However, that was a LONG time ago (I haven't ordered or drunk a glass of Carlsberg in years!).

4. steveh

The antithesis of "dad's" beer. :wink:

5. NNN

NNN Initiate (105) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Good on them. Humility and the desire to improve oneself are rare things.

6. steveh

Hmm... is this only a UK thing?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,711) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Where is this "new" Danish beer being brewed?

jimk1942 and mikeinportc like this.
  8. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

I won't bitch about Carlsberg, they flew me to Liverpool and put me up for a week and let me walk on the pitch at Anfield and sit in the owners seat and even put an arm around Steven Gerrard (their best player at the time) for a photo.

What I did find interesting was that they pushed the regular beer the entire time, and only in the clubhouse could you get "Elephant", and more importantly the "Export" which was my favorite.

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,770) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Yeah, isn't Carlsberg one of the Continental lagers brewed domestically in (or, in other cases, for) the UK with a different recipe and, typically, lower ABV? The article quoted in the OP's makes it sound as if the change is only the UK Carlsberg.

For instance:
    UK Carlsberg ABV - 3.8%
    US Carlsberg - 5% (Same as the Danish Corporate website)
    [​IMG]

#9 jesskidden, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  10. steveh

Very telling about the UK beer scene that a Danish brewery flew you to Liverpool.

11. steveh

Post #6. :wink:

GOBLIN and Bitterbill like this.
  12. jesskidden

Society

Yeah, Carlsberg's had a brewery in the UK since 1973 and later merged with Allied-Lyon in the 1990s. https://carlsberguk.co.uk/about-us/carlsberg-uk/timeline/

mikeinportc, Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  13. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,034) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Gives me hopes they'll reformulate the US version someday but I'm not holding my breath.

YOU LUCKY SON OF A...........can I shake your hand?

Also:
    FTFY:grin:

Bfairhurst74 and Bitterbill like this.
  14. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

Carlsberg sponsors Liverpool Football. There are plenty of non-UK sponsors in the Premier League.

15. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (171) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

I think we need to hear the details about this story, very cool.

16. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,034) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

They're not their kit sponsor anymore though, which is a bummer. Now it's some boring bank (Standard Chartered). They still do advertise a bit around Anfield though.

PorterPro125 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  17. steveh

Still... you get the irony, yes?

18. stevepat

stevepat Defender (604) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

This reminds me of when dominoes admitted they'd let their pizza get shitty and were gonna start doing better. If it's remotely genuine then good on them

ahroun, PorterPro125, jmdrpi and 4 others like this.
  19. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,691) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yeah I think fondly of them from my trip to Denmark. Drank a ton of Elephant and Export. One of the most prized things that came of that trip was my daughter brought me back a bomber of their Mermaid Porter which was brewed to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the Little Mermaid Statue. We drank that beer between Christmas and New Year of 2017 while on a trip to Tulsa. If I am every somewhere and see Elephant, I always get it, just for nostalgia, not the best tasting beer, but goes down easy. I would definitely be interested in trying this pils if it ever made it stateside.

NeroFiddled and AlcahueteJ like this.
  20. JustinMcInerny

JustinMcInerny Initiate (17) Sep 5, 2013 Maryland

Fun fact/thread drift:
    STRAIN: 2124
    BOHEMIAN LAGER
    Species: Saccharomyces pastorianus
    This Carlsberg type yeast is the most widely used lager strain in the world.

SABERG and NeroFiddled like this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,816) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

A gutsy move to be sure, but they really have to make it better now. If it’s just a Macro clone it’ll be a miss, but if it’s much better and they can charge more it’ll be a great move. It might set a new my beer sucks trend, we’ll redo it and charge a premium price too.

Georgiabeer likes this.
  22. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,118) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

I still won't be buying any.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

GOBLIN likes this.
  23. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (261) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Now if only American brewers could be as honest

24. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (103) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Domino's did get a lot better, at least!

Rtsmithjr63, Keztag, ahroun and 5 others like this.
  25. Wasatch

Trader

Have not tried the new pizza yet, but that other shit FUCKN' SUCKED!

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  26. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (273) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

It does sound like it's only the 3.8% UK version which is impacted going by their own website.

Fuller body with distinctive citrus and floral hop aromas and a hoppy moreish aftertaste. So maybe they've added some light caramel malt, possibly modified the mashing process somewhat also and are using some different hops than normal (perhaps one of the newer German hops such as Saphir, that one has been used in Sweden by Carlsberg Sweden for a couple of new brands in recent years) and maybe they are using a whirlpool addition for a stronger hop flavor and aroma. They probably bumped the IBUs up a couple of points as well to balance the added fullness and hop flavor. That would be my guess anyway based on what I understand to be the typical contemporary macro playbook of brewing.

Concerning the topic of a large brewer changing up their recipe and announcing it in a marketing campaign I find it to be quite interesting as a concept. I bet the large brewers are terrified at the prospect of tanking the sales of a large brand by changing the recipe significantly (in the direction of more flavor I mean, obviously their process of lightening the beer has been very successful for them over the course of the last century). But if more people now want something different, what is it that they want? Do they want what was once offered, or something else entirely?

In my opinion their best beer is Carlsberg Sort Guld (5.5% abv in Sweden, 5.8% abv in Denmark), it is richer in flavor and body than the current Export brand (the 5% version) with a nice balancing bitterness and some mild hop flavor (the IBUs of the Export is 21 in Sweden, so I'm guessing for the Sort Guld they have to be a bit higher, maybe 26 or something). It's "extra everything" compared with the regular Export basically, and more along the lines of an actual Export beer in my opinion. In Sweden their Carlsberg Hof is 4.2% and they have a 3.5% abv grocery store version (both are quite mild tasting beers), so I think I have an idea how light tasting the UK's 3.8 version is, and how a slight bump in flavor would benefit the beer. If they served up the Sort Guld I don't think people would complain about a lack of flavor, but maybe they would ask for the 3.8% version back :stuck_out_tongue:.

#26 Crusader, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  27. Crusader

Come to think of it they might be using hop oil to achieve this also. Carlsberg Group has a tendency to try something in one of their markets and then replicate it in another after proof of concept, sometimes using the same brand, other times using a domestic brand. In Sweden Carlsberg Sweden is using "hop oil" along with "hops" for their new Carlsberg Unfiltered brand as well as several domestic Swedish premium brands, most of which are new to the market (and all of which have a stronger hop aroma and flavor compared with most other Swedish macro beers): Eriksberg Original, Eriksberg Karaktär, Eriksberg Juvelpilsner, Falcon Koppar. Hop oil is not listed as an ingredient for any non-premium brand and not for the regular Swedish brands or the regular Carlsberg brands. So it's obviously an ingredient they use for premium brands that they want to give a stronger hop flavor to (without the hassle of dry hopping). Especially seeing the ingredient used in the new Carlsberg Unfiltered makes me wonder if this is also being used in the new UK Carlsberg. The Carlsberg Unfiltered is slightly more hoppy compared with the regular Carlsberg but you can still taste that it's the same hop flavor and it doesn't taste the least bit modern or American. The Swedish brands I listed are alot more prominently hoppy I would say.

NeroFiddled likes this.
  28. Crusader

Well well well, it turns out they do use hop oil for this new brew. Interesting.

29. jesskidden

Society

Sticking with a green bottle, tho'? I notice the US importer, St. Killian, also shows that bottle (similar to the new Heineken long neck) being used for the US import version (still 5%, apparently).

[​IMG]

Although lately I've only seen the older label on a different, embossed bottle, as in this image from 2017 via the "Twitter" account of Carlsberg USA - and still using the OP's slogan!
    [​IMG]

Don't see a TTB COLA for the new label but there is one for Carlsberg Elephant, so it looks like that will also move to a more standard (unembossed) long neck (not current shown by St. Killian).
    [​IMG]

#29 jesskidden, Apr 16, 2019
    Crusader and NeroFiddled like this.
  30. nc41

Trader

IMO the worst pizza of the chain places, I don’t like Papa Johns either. There’s local places that are better by far, but in a pinch Pizza Hut isn’t a bad pie.

timobkg and Wasatch like this.
  31. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (315) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

North Carolina'd

Can't be supporting chain pizza places that have crust like cardboard. These guys are the reason family joints can't stay in business. You gotta find you local joint and buy for them every time, else you'll be stuck with gross pizza for life.

::edit: I lived in South Carolina where the pizza pickings were slim af, I'm not trying to personally give you a hard time!::

32. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (532) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

Looks like Carlsberg management just watched the movie "Crazy People" this week. Volvos, they're boxy but they're good.

spicoli00 and NeroFiddled like this.
  33. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (978) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Really? Where I am chains are having a hard time staying open.

meefmoff likes this.
  34. nc41

Trader

Sticks and Stone is really good it’s fairly close to a NY style pie. In MB Chicago Pizza is about two years old, a pretty good attempt at a Deep Dish pie. It’s in Garden City. The chain places the cheese usually throws me first, then the terrible crust.. Have to use the good cheese, has to be a thin crispy crust.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  35. Wasatch

Trader

The best pizza I've ever had was when I lived back east, there were no such thing as chain pizza back then, unless some family had two shops, and I never saw that.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

36. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (858) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Same here.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (261) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Pie?!

38. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,019) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

But we live in the "Pizza Belt" that roughly runs from Philly to Boston. Outside of this area, all bets are off.

In the rest of the country in small towns you mostly have just the chain places selling garbage pizza. I made the mistake of ordering a pizza in St. Louis last year at a brewpub that highlighted their pizza. It tasted like they put Ragu and American cheese on a stale tortilla.

39. steveh

Not in this area. Hell, there are even great, family-run spots in Wisconsin.
    Aren't those 2 examples contrary to each other? :wink:

Funny how beer talk always seems to come full circle to food. :grin:

#39 steveh, Apr 16, 2019
    AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. Wasatch

Trader

RI/MA:slight_smile::sunglasses:

Cheers!