Casa Agria Specialty Ales

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by bnelson997, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makeyourself

makeyourself Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2015 California

In terms of a developing a public tasting room, they are still waiting for special use permits to be approved by the City of Oxnard. However they are and have been brewing beer but the only way to currently access their beers is via member only onsite events. Towards the end of the year is when their beers will be making their rounds in bigger quantities. Can't wait to finally try their stuff!

2. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (369) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

That is great news, I've been wanting to try stuff from these guys for awhile now

3. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,702) May 12, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

They were pouring a multitude of beers at De Garde yesterday. Had never heard of them, so this thread has been an interesting history lesson.

4. PG2G

PG2G Zealot (547) Dec 26, 2011 California
    Trader

How were they?

5. eb1610

Trader

I'm not sure how many members are actually following this thread but I'm interested in acquiring some of their beers. I have regular access to Tree House, Trillium, and Hill Farmstead. Also, have access to Oxbow, Lawson's, OEC, and pretty much every New England brewery occasionally. If interested in working out a trade/partnership shoot me a message. Thanks

6. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

Well, have the members even gotten a hold of bottles? I, oddly enough, tried a bottle at a recent share when a friend got one as a gift from one of the Casa folks a bit ways back.

I thought it was solid. So hey, perhaps not the worst investment to get on the ground floor. But only time will tell how their track record is.

7. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,137) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I missed out on the guava sour dry-hopped with citra, but lots of folks were praising it. Trevor at De Garde recommended it to me.

I did get to try Gabriel, a barrel-aged strong dark sour with cherries. Very red wine-like and tannic. It actually seemed a bit bland for a 10.5% dark fruited sour, but your mileage may vary. Pretty solid, really.

PG2G likes this.
  8. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,702) May 12, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

I only had Gabriel - agreed it was fairly bland. This was when the lines were so long that you just got in them with no real sense as to what you were waiting for.

vurt likes this.
  9. PG2G

Trader

The response to the Guava one looks mostly positive on Untappd

10. Xline9

Xline9 Initiate (71) Aug 10, 2013 California

We poured 3 beers this weekend at De Garde. An apricot saison, guava Berliner and a sour strong ale with cherry. The apricot and guava were gone very quickly and the strong ale lasted for a while. We had an awesome time meeting many of you at the event. We look forward to sharing more Casa Agria beer at our next member share on Sept 19. We are optimistic that our first member release will be in the 4th quarter of this year. Cheers!!

Kurmaraja, Papaloth, Penguin and 7 others like this.
  11. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,600) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I got in line to taste the Apricot Saison, which "luckily" for me, kicked just before I got to the head of the line. I say lucky, because as soon as it blew, they tapped the Guava. I'm not a huge sour guy (I know, I know... then what were you doing at de Garde?), but it was one of the more amazing beers I've ever smelled or tasted. The nose was all citrus, guava, rhubarb pie and red german cabbage. It was sweet, sour and funky all at the same time. On the palate, weirdly enough, the beer had a huge lime, lemon, and sweet ice tea flavor (but still fairly sour). Given the nose, it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

Just an altogether fun beer to sample at the release event Saturday.

#411 John_M, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  12. eb1610

Trader

Does anyone have a full list of beer that CASA has made available to the public (either as gifts or pouring at events)?

13. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (255) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

they poured Guava Fresca at the last share, thats all i know.

14. bukowski_drinks

bukowski_drinks Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2014 California

how was that?

15. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (255) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

really delicious, juicy and refreshingly tart.

marcus23, grze and Vivified like this.
  16. PG2G

Trader

Nice to see them bottling two beers this month, including a public release. The de Garde collab has me pretty excited too, cant imagine de Garde backing them up so much if they aren't doing good work.

17. eb1610

Trader

Where did you see this info?

18. PG2G

Trader

The actual contents

19. eb1610

Trader

Weird. I didn't get that email. Most recent one I have is from August. Thanks for posting

20. Xline9

This was a member email. If you are a member and didn't get the email. Please email us at info@casaagria.com.

eb1610 likes this.
  21. daveafrank

daveafrank Initiate (170) Sep 18, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

Saw you guys were throwing a gose into barrels, is that for primary or secondary? And what barrels?

22. Xline9

Secondary using neutral red wine barrels.

Marcismo55 and daveafrank like this.
  23. eb1610

Trader

24. Vivified

Vivified Initiate (188) Jul 9, 2014 California

Good news in the members email I received yesterday:

[​IMG]
    Hello CASA Members:

The long awaited moment is finally here! On December 19, 2015 Casa Agria will be releasing our first two bottle offerings, and one growler pour offering. I know this email is long, but it contains a lot of important information.

Click for Image

The first member release is Guava Fresca. Guava Fresca is a variation of our house beer, Agria de la Casa, specifically made for our CASA Bottle Membership Club. Agria de la Casa is brewed with oats, rye, and spelt and is mix-fermented with a blend of Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, and bacteria before being oak aged. Guava Fresca is our house beer pulled straight from our foeder, gently dry-hopped with Nelson Sauvin, and conditioned with Guava Nectar. Inspired by the Aguas Frescas drinks of Mexico and Central America, this beer combines the fresh tropical fruit flavors and aromas of pink guava with the dry and refreshing acidity from the unblended Agria de la Casa. 750ml bottles. 5.7% abv.

Allocation:

As a Founding Casa Member you will receive (2) two bottles included with your membership. With the first release we will have extremely limited amount of additional bottles of Guava Fresca which will be available for purchase in person and for on-site consumption for members only on December 19th.

Click for Image

The second beer we are releasing is Agria de la Casa Saison. Agria de la Casa, our house beer, brewed with oats, rye and spelt and is mix-fermented with a blend of Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, and bacteria then oak aged prior to blending for packaging. The majority of this first blend is a low-gravity Saison inspired ale which was foeder aged for four months, resulting in a dry and refreshing beer with prominent acidity reminiscent of lemon and white wine. The remainder of the blend is a young version of the same beer brewed with more hops and rested in red wine barrels for a short time. The blending of the two balances the acidity and provides a more complex flavor profile. 750ml bottles. 6% abv.
    Allocation:

Agria de la Casa will be available for members to purchase beginning Dec 2 until Dec 18th (You will receive an email notice once the sale goes live, please check your spam folders.) The purchase limit per member will be 2 bottles, the retail price is $18 per bottle, members receive 10% discount on the retail price. Our goal in the future is to make sure members allocations are the same as public allocations. However, being this is our first release, we aren't sure what the public demand will be like. Therefore the public bottle limit will not be decided until Dec 19th. After this first release is under our belt, we should be able to anticipate demand and adjust allocations accordingly. To grantee your allocation for this release you must purchase your bottles via the membership portal before the cut off date. Instructions on how to place an order are listed below.

Click for Image

Lastly, we are releasing Del Norte Pale Ale. Del Norte Pale Ale is our hoppy house beer brewed with flaked oats, wheat, and barley which pours a golden-straw color with a light haze and drinks with a medium body . Assertively hopped with Nelson, Equinox, Simcoe, and Summit hops Del Norte is majorly pungent, wonderfully tropical, with a light hint of pine and citrus! 6.1% abv.

Allocation:

Del Norte Pale Ale will be available for members and non-members to purchase in person on December 19th. Price of growler and fill will be announced on the date of the release. The price will include a 32 oz. Casa Agria Logo Glass Growler and 32 ounces of Del Norte Pale. We will NOT fill outside growlers on the day of the event.

How to order???

Every member will receive an order email on December 4th for the (2) two Guava Fresca bottles included in your membership. That email will have a link that you can click to access the member store, you will be able to add (2) two Agria de la Casa Saison bottles to your order from the member store. You will need to add your credit card info to your member profile in order to complete the order. Every order will be automatically set to pick up status. If you wish to have your bottles and included membership merchandise shipped, you will need to select the shipping option. We are only shipping within the state of California. Orders will not ship out untilMonday December 21. If you add more than 2 bottles of Agria de la Casa to your order, the order will be canceled. If you wish to buy Agria de la Casa bottles during the public release, you will have to wait in the public line, and will be subject to bottle limits set the day of the release. We will have a member pick up area for members that purchased their bottles online.

When to pick up?

The release will be on December 19, 2015 at Casa Agria (701 Del Norte Blvd Unit 310, Oxnard, CA 93030). The event go from 11am-4pm. We will have growler fills available of Del Norte Pale Ale, as well as on-site bottles available of Guava Fresca. Outside bottles are not permitted in the brewery, bottling sharing is not permitted while waiting in line. If you are unable to pick up your bottles on the 19th, please email us at members@casaagria.com to set up a time for pickup after the 19th.

In other news....

Last week we brewed our first collaboration with our friends at de Garde Brewing in Tillamook, Oregon! This collaboration will highlight the difference in regional ingredients and brewery specific processes. De Garde brewed theirs with malted barley sourced from the northwest and naturally inoculates with wild yeast and bacteria through the use of their coolship. They then included our own wild yeast and bacteria collected from the orchards of Santa Clara River Valley. We will be brewing the same recipe but we will be using malted barley sourced from California and including de Garde's blend of wild yeast and bacteria to our own and barrel fermenting. After an extended aging process we will each add locally sourced honey directly to the barrels for further evolution.

Oh yeah... We are also expanding! We are taking over our neighboring space which will double our current square footage. This will provide us some much needed flexibility for continued growth with our barrel program.

Happy Holidays!

Ryan, Eric, Mike and Terre

25. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,805) May 21, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Expanding before first bottle release?! Cray-z.

KevSal, micahburns and ILikeGoodCider like this.
  26. the_trystero

the_trystero Disciple (355) Mar 19, 2013 California
    Trader

Arguably.

27. Juan611

Juan611 Initiate (128) Oct 29, 2013 California

The public needs to try the beer for the brewery to succeed. All of it can't go to the members, not all members are local so the brewery needs others who will visit the brewery to be able to try their beers as well. I think that's pretty easy to see. Rare Barrel in their first year would do 2 bottle limit releases....

ILikeGoodCider and grze like this.
  28. Juan611

The public release is Dec 19th.

29. Juan611

And it's not guaranteed the public limit will be 2 per person, if there are a lot of people at the release, limit might be 1 per person. That's why there is no pre set public limit. Game time decision so bottles get into more hands

leonardoh03 and Marcismo55 like this.
  30. Juan611

2 years ago, was the point. They're producing way more beer and did similar style releases in their first year.
    I went to one of the first public releases at Rare Barrel and only the first 100 people got 2 bottles guaranteed. Remaining people got 1 til it ran out. It's all in the name of letting the beer get out to people.

ILikeGoodCider, leonardoh03 and grze like this.
  31. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Defender (616) Sep 10, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Soooo back to the beer? That Guava sounds great. Can't wait to try it.

TNeedles, Marcismo55, Keyser and 2 others like this.
  32. leonardoh03

leonardoh03 Initiate (184) Jan 27, 2011 California
    Trader

Cant wait for these bottles!! So excited!

TNeedles, Marcismo55 and Juan611 like this.
  33. grze

grze Devotee (495) Apr 17, 2012 Nevada
    Trader

I've been drinking guava juice for the last 2 months just to get myself ready for this beer.

34. Marcismo55

Marcismo55 Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 California

Finally going to get to drink CASA beer in my matching glassware!

eb1610, Papaloth and leonardoh03 like this.
  35. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Aspirant (228) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Trader

People blindly plunk down money for speculative beer club with limited info/details. Complain when actual details are revealed.

Do
    Your
    Own
    Diligence

36. Juan611

I'd love foeder mouth pours...just saying

grze likes this.
  37. sokrman14

sokrman14 Initiate (86) Mar 8, 2012 California
    Trader

And if someone doesn't like the option of being able to order 2 guaranteed online as a member, and then get more at the public release...Then cancel their membership and go camp out at 5AM and get maybe 1 bottle only! Not all perks of membership are valued in beer only

38. wheelzntoys

wheelzntoys Initiate (142) Nov 10, 2013 California
    Trader

<----- loves guavas! Can't wait to try this release!

39. Papaloth

Papaloth Initiate (158) Nov 9, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

We are pretty damn pumped about this here in Indiana! (buddies and I all have SoCal proxies) - Very excited to try these beers, the guava sounds outstanding....It also looks like we are going to get some great perks/customer servce - I emailed Ryan (Xline9) a while back about an issue I was having getting the glass and shirt and he was very timely and helpful in his response. You guys are definitely on the right track! Just need to taste that saison/sour goodness!!

40. ComradePalmer

ComradePalmer Initiate (177) Jul 27, 2015 California

Y'all talking about memberships and bottle sales but I just want the opportunity to actually drink at the tasting room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.