Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Case Sales at Three Floyds

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Wseitz, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Wseitz

I thought someone alluded to this a while ago, but it looks like they're reducing the allotment of cases purchased at the brewpub from six to two:
    http://www.3floyds.com/2012/06/21/case-sales-from-the-pub/

I don't think I've ever bought more than two, so this is fine for me. Maybe others that can only get there very rarely will be affected, but sounds like a good policy to me. I'd be a little concerned that someone coming in and buying six cases was planning on reselling them, personally. Doesn't sound like their motivation here. No distinction in the post between cases of bombers and six packs.

chanokokoro likes this.
  2. myersk27

Beer Trader

good move...in my opinion

aasher and chanokokoro like this.
  3. da_bulls

Beer Trader

I can see why they did this but this sucks. So this means if you bought, say a case of zombie dust and a case of gumballhead, you could not pick up any bombers because of the limit. A lot of people from IL I know would buy a lot of cases because they don't go out there that often and it's cheap and fresh from the brewpub.

4. JakeT469

Agreed. Great move! I've never bought more than two cases myself either so no biggie. I always thought 6 cases was a little excessive.

chanokokoro likes this.
  5. JakeT469

The blog post clearly states CASE limit. Has nothing to do with bombers. I'm guessing this is due mostly to Zombie Dust flying out the door on a daily basis.

fh301 likes this.
  6. Wseitz

I'm not sure if that's what it means. I assume it means you can't get anymore six packs, but they weren't clear on bombers. The only thing I'd like to see them do differently with this policy is give you the case price if you buy, for example, four different six packs. But whatever.

7. Shag

Beer Trader

Ugh - bad timing. Have a buddy heading there this weekend, and he was going to bring back a number of cases for some folks around here, myself included.

I get why they're doing it, but sucks for us out-of-staters with no local distribution...

8. claaark13

Beer Trader

That sucks. It is now not worth my time to drive to FFF and buy Zombie Dust.

9. Corbet

Beer Trader

I've driven a lot farther for less than 2 cases of a beer. Maybe I'm just crazy.

gpawned, bookerandy and iceatalamo like this.
  10. claaark13

Beer Trader

For a Pale Ale? This isn't BA Plead the Fifth. I regularly consume 6 or more ZD in an evening when I get it (yes, alcoholism, I know). I also have friends who regularly ask "Can you bring me a 1/2 case back to Indy and I'll pay you back?". I was planning a 6 case ZD run in 3 weekends. I guess that won't be happening, as 2 cases will last less than 2 weeks after my dad and father-in-law stop by. It'd be as much money on gas than beer.

EDIT - I would also like to comment that I've done plenty of beer related driving. Sorry to comment so directly on that, but I've gotta keep up my BA Street Cred or people will call me a phony. :eek:

11. MarkIntihar

Just bring some cool bros with you on the trip, or buy a hobo an Olde English for his time.

vkv822, dman5400 and claaark13 like this.
  12. AleWatcher

I think it also has to do with the fact that lots of people were buying 6 cases each and had "friends" with them doing the same thing.
    Lots of these were stores that then sold the beer at $17-$20 per sixpack.

Plus, it's a pain in the ass for the staff to wheel out 6 cases on a dolly every 10 minutes....

This change of rules doesn't effect anyone that I know in any way.

TapeDeck, vkv822, cadizkyguy and 3 others like this.
  13. Steimie

Or maybe drink less? Just sayin...

vkv822 likes this.
  14. CWBlues

Beer Trader

Does this mean Zombie Dust is going to be more rare now?

15. MarkIntihar

My guess is that was the big issue FFF had with the six case limit.

16. lurchingbeast

The current 6 CASE limit included bombers. for example, if you bought 4 cases of Zombie, and 2 cases of Gumballhead you couldn't get any bombers as you had hit your 6 case limit.

He's not alone in assuming this is how the 2 case limit will work.

17. claaark13

Beer Trader

Hahaha...if I've not used mules in the past for big beer releases, I'm sure as hell not going to start with Zombie Dust.

I didn't know that there was a problem with local stores. That seems very bogus. The two times I've bought 6 cases, I was the only one doing it. Both times, people commented on how much f'ing Zombie Dust that was. I also consider the helping hand when I leave a tip.

This was pre-to-go-window. I'm sure they see more volume now that it is in place, thus the limits. It makes some sense considering the circumstances, yet it still really sucks for people who are a 3hr drive away and would otherwise make the trip.

18. jegross2

Beer Trader

If i really really wanted, I could drive around chicago and get a case, maybe case and a half of zombie dust. At a premium, for sure, but i wouldnt have to drive to munster to get it. 6 cases? Yeah, i'd have to drive to munster.

Gives me that much less of an incentive to make the trip to FFF.

Moreover, I'm running a Fantasy Baseball BIF where every week beer in on the line where the H2H loser pays the winner. I was going to be paying off my debts with ample Fresh FFF that i could get in one trip, but i'm sure as hell not going to make multiple trips down there. I get that they want to prevent the secondary market stuff and spread the wealth, but then can't they set the lower limits on the beers they are most concerned about? Maybe 2 case limit on ZD/Gumball head combined + 4 of others? I think it's ridiculous that if i buy one case of ZD and one case of gumball head, I can't buy maybe a mixed case of FRESH dreadnaught and APW or fresh alpha king. I wouldnt care about the limit IF THEY WOULD BOTTLE DATE -- it's their damn fault anyone even needs to goto the brewery to get their distributed beers guaranteed fresh in the first place.

stevegoz likes this.
  19. Lansman

Beer Trader

Seeing that the cases of beer that they sell are beers that must be drank fresh, I see no need for someone to pick up more than two cases of Zombie Dust or any other variant for themselves. (Having made the mistake once having bought three cases of ZD a year ago, let me tell you - it is not good when it gets stale, aka, more than 3 months old) However, if one were from outside the area and driving back from somewhere that happened to pull them through Three Floyds then I can see how this might be a bit of an issue.

Having just stopped by on Tuesday, I asked why Apocalypse Cow was delayed, and they attributed the delay with the increase in ZD production - more man hours devoted to keeping up with that demand vs. the demand for the June seasonal. Perhaps with the limits in place, the need to turn over ZD will be slowed a bit, to allow them to produce the seasonals on a more timely and consistent basis.

For locals, this can only be a good thing. ZD selling out in 2-3 days max really was quite ridiculous, though it did turn over fresh product on a more consistent basis.

20. HugePrnceFan1999

I think this is a great idea.

21. 2BDChicago

Beer Trader

I am totally OK with 2-case limit. Esp since ZD supplies seemed to have irregular availability due to large qty purchases.

Not going to make up stat's, but IMO a significant percent of buyers of at the 6-case max were reselllers.

And, I am good with any reason to make more trips to FFFs pub. (I am 60-miles away, so not exactly a local)

22. Wseitz

Or switch to Miller Light when you reach the point where you won't be able to remember the next day what you were drinking the night before.

23. stephenieman

Ive said it so many times Im just starting to sound insane, but there are CASES of REALLY OLD FFF's product on the shelves on the North side of Chicago.
    Their bottles only "fly off the shelves" at Binnys and other high traffic stores so the "we move product too fast to need bottle dates" argument is laughable to me.
    Then again for $12.99 a six pack I never buy the stuff either so I guess I shouldnt be surprised.

24. jegross2

Beer Trader

Says the guy from Indiana who probably lives nearby

25. stephenieman

Prince is from Minneapolis.
    "Game, blouses."

26. vande

will this allow for a higher rate of distrubution for their beers? I know a lot of places are lucky to see a case retail, if that, each week [and that's simply alpha, pride, maybe jinx proof, maybe robert bruce and if they are lucky a case of gumball...real lucky]... Supply and Demand is tough... At least they've not increased their prices simply because they can... People would bitch, but people would still buy their shit.. I'm sure people will still walk out with 6 cases, simply because they have 2 mules...Where there's a will, there's a way..

27. jegross2

Beer Trader

I'd rather them raise prices and bottle date.

28. mbockstruck30

Beer Trader

And the Sunday rule is the same way. If you buy 2 cases, you cannot buy bombers as well as you've maxed out your "ounce" limit. So I wonder if that will be the same all the time now. I hope not though.

29. da_bulls

Beer Trader

^exactly mbockstruck30!

I said what I said because on Sundays, Indiana law allows for a maximum sale of 2 cases per customer. I went in on a Sunday once to get a few cases and some bombers and they said I could only get 2 cases of beers or 2 cases of bombers, or of course intermixed. I would hope that you are correct though as the blog isn't explicit toward this situation.

30. immobilisme

I think I have bought more than two cases once in my life at FFF. I am totally fine with this limit. Going to the pub for a couple and getting a case of Zombie Dust to go is just about my favorite pastime

copslovebeer and JakeT469 like this.
  31. chanokokoro

Bravo! Lowering the six case limit is long overdue. Even if you're "passing through" and picking up some brews for six friends who each want a case of Zombie, and the next person "passing through" is doing the same, when the brewpub runs out how many other people "passing though" are denied even getting a 6 pack? I, too, have never purchased more than two cases, even when buying for friends. A large majority of the time I buy one case if that.

People will just have to lower their expectations of getting a case to a 6 pack or two and more people will have access to the brews.

Finally, there's absolutely no need for FFF to bottle date since their brews move so quickly at the brewpub as well as at bottle shops. Another big plus is not have to hear people bitching about ZD or Dreadnaught that is a week old and asking for brews that are "fresh."

Maction likes this.
  32. jegross2

Beer Trader

Lowering the limit on zombie dust or gumball head isnt, in my opinion, the controversy. It's the two case overall limit on a brand that wont bottle date. I have no problem with a strict m one zd case per customer limit. It's about the fact that if I go and get one case of zombie dust and one case of fresh alpha king, I can't buy any dreadnaught or APW or any other beer? I don't buy FFF off te shelf because I don't know if its stale and I'm not gonna pay $12 for stale 22 oz of beer

M1A2 and EROCK75 like this.
  33. EROCK75

Beer Trader

I have to travel 2 hours to visit the brewery and get my ZD, so I guess all my lazy friends will just have to start coming with if they want some instead of me bringing it back.

34. EROCK75

Beer Trader

Totally agree. As I only go a couple time a year, now after a case of ZD and Gumball, I can not buy any bombers. I'll just have to use the wife as a buyer now when she comes with.

35. JakeT469

This is the same situation in my neck of the woods in the SW burbs as well. We don't get Zombie and Gumball is around but a little harder to come by but I see all the other year-rounds sit around in "lower traffic" shops all the time. There's seasonal bombers that sit around months after theyve been released so it really just depends where you're looking or not looking. And like you said, at$10.99-$12.99/sixer I don't buy the shit. I just stock up when I go to the brewery.

36. 71gto

Beer Trader

Happy to see this, hopefully there is more to distribute now.

37. stephenieman

I distinctly remember buying Alpha King from two North side spots, both no more than 4 blocks from my house, thinking "Well, they say their product moves too fast to be stale!"
    Got the beers home and wondered "How can anyone drink this garbage?".

Thank god I gave them another try on tap as the two experiences were night and day.

38. mm2112

Beer Trader

I love how when Three Floyd's takes actions like these and everybody loses their shit.

If it bothers people so much, why don't they just stop buying Three Floyd's beer? Oh wait, because you like it too much? Well then, you only have one choice: deal with it, it ain't the end of the world.

If you buy more than 2 cases and are re-selling them in your store, then you are a problem to the brewery, if you need more than 2 cases for yourself, than you have a problem.

BertSugar and beergurujr like this.
  39. Slayer32

I live in Chicago and I will only buy FFF if a store announces a new shipment. I really love the beer, but every time I am in the liquor store I wonder if I am looking at the same 6er of Gumballhead that was eyeballing me the week before. There has been one bomber of APW at the Jewel on Ashland for weeks.

40. MordorMongo

Hopefully this means they can finally distribute Zombie Dust in their own damn state.

aasher and claaark13 like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe