Cask Ale in a Bag/Box

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmdrpi, Dec 20, 2020.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,240) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

A local brewery here in PA (Forest & Main) that pre-COVID normally had several cask conditioned beers offered at any given time at their pub, announced they are going to release a Dark Mild in a 5L bag in a box package for to-go sales. Similar to boxed wine, so no oxygen going back into the beer.

They said they were inspired by Machine House Brewery in Seattle.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-qb9lTgghl/?igshid=18w8cycdhilm

Not sure if other breweries as well have done this before. Anyone have beer in this format before? How long did it hold up?

2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,857) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

A cardboard and plastic pin! :slight_smile:

Be interesting to hear the opinions on the beer.

ChicagoJ, PapaGoose03, JrGtr and 4 others like this.
  3. jmdrpi

Society

Forest&Main is recommending to drink within a few days since this is their first try at it. They were taking limited pre-orders but it sold out with an hour of them posting about it, so I'm going to have to wait until next time to try it.

Based on their Instagram page, looks like Machine House has been doing it for months, so I assume its good enough for repeat buyers.

4. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,372) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Arrrgggghhh!!! They’re sold out. I would have been much happier not knowing this existed.

5. zid

zid Meyvn (1,267) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Paging @marquis for an expected response to the snippet above. :slight_smile:

6. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (419) Feb 2, 2015 New York

That's a great idea. I wish a brewery in my area would do something like that. I don't think oxidation over a few days would be an issue. However, I think the bag would have a negligible carbonation level, less than most cask ale. That could deter some potential customers, but I think I would try it if the product became available here. I'd keep it in the garage in winter. By the way, I did have a cask dark mild several years ago at Jimmy's 43 in Manhattan. The cask was perched on the bartop. An old colleague remembered accompanying his father to a New Jersey bar in the early 50's that had a winter ale bar-top cask (maybe Ballantine?).

7. steveh

Society

Yeah, I'd have thought they'd allow a "breather" for that true cask experience.

Be your own Publican!

AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and jmdrpi like this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,029) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I've not heard of any issues with Machine House's beers that is packaged this way.

AlcahueteJ, TongoRad and jmdrpi like this.
  9. jmdrpi

Society

Yes, I would think bags couldn't hold much pressure so the conditioning would have to be spot on

KRug likes this.
  10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (503) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If I lived near Forest & Main, I’d be very interested. Sounds awesome IMO!

Harrison8 likes this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,148) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

One of the earliest craft breweries on the east coast, Wm Newman Brewing Co., ( opened in 1981) in Albany, NY sold their beer like that initially (later had bottles contract-brewed at several different breweries).

You could buy them and get them refilled at the brewery and eventually they had a small retail presence, too. 1 gallon/4 liter or 2.5 gallons.
    [​IMG]
    They did OK as far as shelf life - 4 pints of beer, I shared them with a friend. Although, I remember finding them in one store, probably sitting too long and they looked about to explode.:grimacing:

#11 jesskidden, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  12. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,852) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I’m about an hour away from them but willing to seek it out if the style is right

ChicagoJ likes this.
  13. BJC

BJC Initiate (180) Nov 9, 2002 New Jersey

I took a couple of trips to Albany to buy some. There was a pale ale, an amber ale and a winter warmer : all good. I remember playing pool in the bar down the street with a guy who drove up with me.
    The big dog from RCA was the landmark.

TongoRad, Bitterbill and jmdrpi like this.
  14. steveh

Society

A small brewpub in Wisconsin sold their beers similar to this, but no box.

IIRC -- There was a bag within a plastic keg. I think they were called "pigs" because of their shape, but they had "taps" just like your depiction.

Was probably the mid-90s +/-.

PapaGoose03, TongoRad and Bitterbill like this.
  15. jmdrpi

Society

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  16. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (812) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

I bought a few of these from Machine House and they were outstanding. It's the closest I've had to cask while drinking at home.

17. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,183) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Hogshead has had a solid workaround -

[​IMG]

18. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (430) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

The only thing I'd be worried about is the bag inflating due to the carbonation coming out. I suppose the box should hold some in solution, but cardboard is pretty flexible. IIRC it's the pressure inside that keeps carb in the beer.
    |But that said, I'd definitely try it if a brewery nearby would run that, and if they come up with something for homebrewers I'd definitely look into it as well.

19. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,194) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Next time I'm in Colorado, I'm going to have to make this happen.

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,173) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

So 5L = about 14 12oz beers. Instead of the bag /box and risking carbonation loss, why not just go for those mini metal kegs I’ve seen Heineken and some German beers sold in? Or does that take away the “cask” marketing angle? I don’t think a hand pumped English beer can be replicated well in a bag in a box. Maybe I’m wrong though (hopefully it works).

21. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I’ve done this in the UK. Beer tasted great but wasn’t really put to the test properly as far as longevity goes, since each time we had it filled in front of us at the brewery and had finished it a couple hours later.

tzieser, Roguer, o29 and 4 others like this.
  22. steveh

Society

Bitterbill and jmdrpi like this.
  23. jmdrpi

Society

come on, this beer is made to be drank by the Imperial Pint! So only about 9 glasses!
    [​IMG]
    Also, I assume plastic bag is way cheaper and easier to seal up once filled.

24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,881) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I wonder if F&M got this idea from how beer is 'packaged' in China!?!:thinking_face:

Cheers!

P.S. You provide your own straws?

[​IMG]

25. marquis

marquis Champion (802) Nov 20, 2005 England

I rise to the challenge :slight_smile:
    The whole point of cask ale, and the reason that it developes and blossoms BECAUSE of the presence of air. But in small quantities over a short period of time.
    Ron Pattinson (aka Patto1ro) once described how he arranged for a brewery to split the brew into two, half was kegged and the rest was casked. There was little difference between them on the first day, but after that the casked half was palpably superior and kept getting better until sold out.
    If oxygen is excluded you simply have a large, bottle conditioned vessel of beer.

#25 marquis, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  26. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,233) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Roguer and jmdrpi like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, one difference is the the difference in carbonation level with the kegged beer likely at something like 2.5 volumes of CO2 while the cask beer should be in the neighborhood of 1.5 volumes of CO2. This delta of carbonation amount results in a markedly different drinking experience for my palate.

Plus at bars the kegged beers are typically served cold (e.g., 40 degrees F) while ideally a cask beer is served warmer (e.g., cellar temperature like 50 - 55 degrees F). This difference in temperature will also result in a notably different drinking experience as well.

Having stated the above, I too have a preference for a cask beer 1-2 days after tapping and served without a cask breather.

Cheers!

28. jmdrpi

Society

How many days did you typically drink them over the course of? Any observations on changes in flavor or carbonation level?

AlcahueteJ and Urk1127 like this.
  29. Providence

Providence Crusader (715) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Cask ale in large quantities? I'm in. And is that Bitter reading 4.2% abv? 5 litres of a sub-5% bitter that has been cask conditioned is precisely what I want to consume over the course of Christmas Eve and Day. Jealous as all fuck.

30. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (430) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

But that's the point of cask, is that it's served at cellar temp, rather than fridge temp; it's naturally carbed, rather than force carbed, so it's lower carb; and it's gravity or pump served rather than CO2 pressure forcing it, so it gets that air. (cask breathers allowing CO2 in instead of air is a different story - and not "real, traditional" cask.)
    The point is, a cask of beer, exposed to air as it empties, will only last 4 or 5 days |(once tapped) before it's completely oxidized and nigh-undrinkable. yeah, you CAN drink it, but it won't be enjoyable.
    |That's why home casks aren't a great idea unless they're planned to be finished in a couple days; even the best of us can't drink 5 gallons in 4 days. But this 5-liter BiB does seem like a good compromise - a solid long weekend you should be able to do it solo.

Roguer and AlcahueteJ like this.
  31. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (812) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

My wife and I consumed them over the course of about 3 days and I stored it in the fridge when not drinking it. Carbonation definitely took a hit after the first day but remained more than drinkable. As Marquis pointed out, you don't have the benefit of introducing oxygen so you lose the complexity that cask develops over time, but despite that, I found this an exceptional way to enjoy British style beers.
    I live about an hour and a half from Machine House so I can't drive over and buy these any time I want, but if I were closer these would be mainstays in my fridge. I should also add that Bill, the brewer at Machine House, has quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to cask and he worked for some time at figuring how to properly condition these bag in box vessels before selling them. I think knowledge will factor in with other breweries as well.

32. jmdrpi

Society

the F&M Dark Mild is 3.5% abv. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJCOy3DFaIQ/

They regularly brew lower alcohol beers that are very tasty.

33. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,525) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

steveh likes this.
  34. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (848) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

FM makes great beers. Their English style beers are really flavorful and low ABV.

Im in for this bag o beer if I can get one. I ordered delivery this summer and was very happy with all the beers, even the IPA. Unfortunately he beers are sold out the last few times I wanted to place an order.

Any idea what the cost of the bag was?

Enjoy

35. jmdrpi

Society

It was $35 for 5 Liters. The same beer is $16 for a 4-pack of pint cans, so only a slight discount for the bag/box, as the equivalent volume in cans would be $40.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  36. AWA

AWA Disciple (320) Jul 22, 2014 California

Why do I feel so deprived by never having beer from a bag? Clearly my life went south somewhere.

37. Providence

Providence Crusader (715) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

That’s fantastic! Wish I could get that here.

Bitterbill likes this.
  38. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, you can rectify that if you are so motivated:

[​IMG]

Rainintheface, officerbill and AWA like this.
  39. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,663) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Didn’t you contradict yourself with these two sentences?

40. AWA

AWA Disciple (320) Jul 22, 2014 California

On it.

officerbill and JackHorzempa like this.