Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

CBC's 24th Anniversary Party this Saturday!

Discussion in 'New England' started by NTLOPE, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

NTLOPE Feb 1, 2002 Massachusetts

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to shout out that we are hosting our 24th Anniversary party this Saturday, May 4, from noon to 1am. We'll have 24 CBC beers on tap covering a broad range of our beer repertoire, from session beers to (very) strong ales, Belgians, experimental brews, barrel-aged and vintage beers, and sours. We will also be releasing TWO beers in celebration of the anniversary, and here's where you come in.

The first is a "golden lambic" style beer, aged one year in the barrels which normally hold our fruited sour beers like Kriek du Cambridge and Rose du Cambridge. This is a little 4.5% blonde beer with a really nice balance of subtle funk, fruitiness, and acidity. Un-fruited, but it fermented from the flora already resident in the wood. It is dry and super drinkable but there are only 200 gallons produced, so I hope you all get the chance to taste it before the brewing team here drinks it all!

The second is the result of an 8-year long experiment we've been carrying out with the madeirization of beer, and a working title of simply "24." Everything you're taught about brewing says oxygen bad and so are heat and sunlight, so we figure "what the heck, let's abuse some beer!" This involved three beers (Arquebus, Blunderbuss, and Biere de Miel), all first barrel-aged. Other beers were initially employed as well but did not make the cut. Some of each batch of these three beers, eight years ago, was racked from the barrels and into carboys and demijohns. Then each summer these vessels were carried up out of the barrel cellar to the CBC patio and alley beside the brewery, where they were allowed to become lightstruck and would heat up during the day and cool during the night whebn carried back downstairs. This also drew in fresh air as the expansion and contraction caused these carboys to "breathe." Individual carboys tasted like excellent sherry or madeira or banyuls wine. Out of less than 50 carboys we chose just about two dozen to blend together, back into two oak barrels to marry before being sent into our new barrel-cellar-beer-only tank. With just a hint of carbonation, this is an interesting one and we hope you'll like it. Less than 100 gallons total on this.

Now I'd like to ask those of you who are feeling creative to offer some suggestions for naming these two new anniversary beers. "24" worked for me until several people asked if we named a beer after a Kieffer Sutherland TV show, and that just won't do. And as we are not a lambic brewery in Belgium I wish to respectfully refrain from calling our other creation a lambic beer.

If we like your suggestion and choose it as the name for either of these beers, we'll do something nice for ya.

A couple links to event info:

Thanks for your continued support of CBC for 24 fantastic years. Hope to see you on Saturday!

Stormfield, Pahn, BrittEBurke and 7 others like this.
  2. Stormfield

Stormfield Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Will be there for sure!
  3. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

How about a Cambic... Cambridge lambic-style beer?
    NTLOPE likes this.
  4. emannths

emannths Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Learned a new word today. I thought it could have been a urinal.
    NTLOPE likes this.
  5. Woody1180

Woody1180 Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Considering the year/time frame etc someone should be able to think of a way to work in Boston Strong, not sure if you want to go that route but its an idea
  6. halfshell

halfshell Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts

"24" - was going to go for Recess to reference the trips out to the schoolyard to get some air, but not sure if that is obvious enough, so then thought Resident might work to reference the thinning of the ranks over 8 years, but maybe Middle School might work better to roughly cover the years and still get on the recess bandwagon.

Squatter or House-Sitter for the "Golden Lambic".
    NTLOPE likes this.

Heard a rumor that Boston Beer Company/Samuel Adams has trademarked that one.
  9. Woody1180

Woody1180 Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sounds about right...
  10. emannths

Applied for TM, said they'd let any brewer use it for free if they donate the profits to charity:

NTLOPE likes this.
  11. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

damn, sucks i'm going to miss 24. sounds crazy (the lambic sounds amazing too).

YEMS, ozymandias, cerise cassee... so good. enjoy the event if you can make it.
  12. jlordi12

jlordi12 Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was planning on going anyway but this write put me over the top
  13. pjl44

pjl44 Oct 3, 2008 Massachusetts

While I've enjoyed the Phish and Dead nods over the years, I would love to see some Pink Floyd worked in.

For the lightstruck anniversary beer - Let There Be More Light or Fat Old Sun
    Golden sour - San Tropez ("Digging for gold in the hoe in my hand") or the more literal The Gold It's In The...

Whatever they're called, I'm really pumped for that draft list and the pig roast. Supposed to be a gorgeous day, too. Should be awesome!
    NTLOPE likes this.
  14. halfshell

halfshell Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts

Hey, brewers, leave those kegs alone (barrels would've been more apropos, but didn't sound quite as good).
    Another keg in the patio, obviously.
    NTLOPE likes this.
  15. AdamP

AdamP Mar 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

How about a Mel Brooks inspired name: Young Funkenstein. I think it's especially relevant since you brought the beer from death (lightstruck and oxidized) back to life (for the 24th anniversary beer).

A bit more of a mouthful, but I'd say 'Funkelstiltskin' has a nice ring to it too.

Can't wait for Saturday!
    NTLOPE and FrankLloydMike like this.
  16. AdamP

AdamP Mar 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

And if I can throw one more ticket in the hat, let me propose 'Oakstradamus' for the lambic style beer.

Yes, I'm a sucker for puns.
    NTLOPE likes this.
  17. jlordi12

Beer Trader

I have a name for the second beer, XXIV
    NTLOPE likes this.
  18. lostsurf24

lostsurf24 Nov 13, 2007 Massachusetts

My name..."Contrary"
    NTLOPE likes this.
  19. Rekrule

Rekrule Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

As for the name of the lambic, you used a good beer name in your description of it. Call it "Subtle Funk" Af for the beer you are calling "24", you have exposed it to everything you possibly could, I would call it "Unshrounded"
    NTLOPE likes this.
  20. dunix

dunix Jan 26, 2011 Vermont

It just so happens my first trip to CBC ever will be this Saturday. Going to try every beer I can :D
    NTLOPE likes this.
  21. lostsurf24

EAT! haha
    dunix likes this.
  22. emannths

I read the description of the beer formerly know as 24 and I think of the family dog: follows you around, in or out, hot or cold, wet or dry, curls up on your feet in the (barrel) cellar, and it still by your side 8 years later. So something like bowser, rex, lassie, fido, rover, etc.

Alternatively, given that it's survived 8 years of hard "training" in all conditions, with only a little making the cut, a nod to the special forces, like SEAL Team CBC.
    NTLOPE likes this.
  23. Omegajayy

Omegajayy May 11, 2005 Massachusetts

Maybe "Golden Fleeced" for the golden LAMBic and since MIT is close by 4.9 squared (looks better in scientific notation) for "24". Either way, I look forward trying both and a few others. I will not be attempting to taste all twenty four. The 15th anniversary disabused me of attempting anything like that again ;)
    NTLOPE likes this.
  24. sfrank5000

sfrank5000 Mar 26, 2005 Massachusetts

How about 'Smart Tart' for the lambic in honor of the intelligent people in the neighborhood, except call it 'Smaht Taht'?
    NTLOPE and jbart like this.
  25. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

Hurray! I will be there, but not til the evening, so I hope there is some of the "24" for me to try.

Regarding the name, after some thought, I suggest that you change the name from "24" to "3rd Stone from the Sun". :cool:
    NTLOPE likes this.
  26. lucas1801

lucas1801 Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

I will be there and really looking forward to the Golden Lambic and to see how ozymandias has aged as well.
  27. Patrick

Patrick Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Ozymandias was delicious at EBF (pretty sure I had it there), so it is aging just fine.

Will, will beer be left Sunday through the week? It sucks I'm out of town this weekend, but would love to try the golden lambic and 24 (and all the others).
  28. lucas1801

lucas1801 Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

I am sure it aged great, I just can't wait to taste it again lol. There is usually plenty of beer left on Sunday and diminishes through the week.
  29. NTLOPE

Several of the special and vintage kegs will undoubtedly kick over the course of the day. We have about 100 gal of the (soon-to-be-no-longer-named-) 24 and 200 gal of the (see-previous-parentheses-)Golden Lambic though, so they'll both be on for a bit.

30. NTLOPE

Thanks everybody for the fun and creative recommendations for beer names! Sometimes the words come before the melody, sometimes the music comes before the words.
  31. jlordi12

Beer Trader

Is the event somewhat family friendly? I was thinking of bringing my son along for a day in the city
  32. averagjoe3

averagjoe3 Jul 9, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

same here haha
  33. emannths

Yep. It'll probably be crowded, at least during prime times, but it has a very neighborhood-y vibe.
    jlordi12 likes this.
  34. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Apr 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

There goes my Saturday.... 2010 Heather is all that was needed...
  35. Longstaff

Longstaff May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

RF In City for the cambic
    Fail Not for the O2 beer
  36. lostsurf24

Are the names being announced soon?
  37. NTLOPE

Our two new beers, to be released in honor of our 24th Anniversary will be called "Mellow Gold," a barrel fermented American sour inspired by Belgian lambic, and "Shadows and Light," an 8-year long experiment in madeirization of beer. Read about them now, and come check them out on Saturday! http://cambridgebrewing.com/beer/seasonal/
    Thanks for all the great recommendations, you guys really gave us some great ideas!
    Mbrown44, Boomblaze and lostsurf24 like this.
  38. Janeinma

Janeinma May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I am suprised no one has mentioned this. The 2013 Run-Walk to Home Base will be happening on Saturday the 4th and will shut down parts of memorial drive and cause traffic congestion. You might want to consider this when thinking of how long it will take to get there and what parking will be like.
  39. DonFrap

DonFrap Feb 27, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A few members of our tasting group will be at CBC today. If you see a tall dude with a Boston strong shirt on come say hi.
    ptrc and lucas1801 like this.
  40. SABERG

SABERG Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts

Very much looking forward to this.
    Coming from some live music to the event
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!