CCB Growler Tuesday Thread

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Mangbus, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mangbus

Mangbus Aug 25, 2014 Florida

Just figured I'd create this to talk about some of the more interesting creations they've put out lately via their Growler Tuesday.

I have not had a chance to get anything on a Tuesday (since I live in Orlando) but I believe I did get some of the Dark Woods when it was a Tuesday offering since they made a ton of it and it lasted for several days.

Anyone make the trip at lunch every Tuesday?

Some of the more recent ones were:

12/02/2014 - Peppermint Brown Ale
    12/09/2014 - Cuvee de Fromm #1 (Blend of Bolita / Warmer Winter / Puppy's breath - aged on rum soaked white oak.)

2. BrewerB

BrewerB Mar 5, 2008 North Carolina

I wonder if some folks do make it there every Tuesday. Not I, though I do go up there when the offering is enticing enough. Was definitely curious about today's release but had other obligations.

gjoker321 likes this.
  3. Gatorwalt

Gatorwalt Jul 31, 2013 Florida

Do you know if it is posted anywhere what the growler fill is each Tuesday? I remembe someone mention they saw it in the El Catador section, but I'm a member and have never seen it.

4. Zhillsgator

Zhillsgator Jan 10, 2014 Florida

They will post it on social media, but not until Tuesday. El Cat members generally get a heads up a little earlier than the general population, but not more than an hour or so before they open and sometimes less than that.

5. mjmcdonough73

mjmcdonough73 Feb 8, 2014 Florida

I usually go every Tuesday. Have only missed a handful of them in the last 6 mos.

Pinball_Guy and velcrogrip like this.
  6. velcrogrip

velcrogrip Mar 2, 2013 Florida

Growler tuesday turns into bottle share tuesday most weeks.

7. wiltznucs

wiltznucs Jun 27, 2013 Florida

I've been doing Growler Tuesday for almost two years. Missed only a handful in that time.

It's fun and occasionally you do get treated to something amazing.

pmangold and Mangbus like this.
  8. Hopzilla

Hopzilla Dec 4, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Spoken like a man who's slayed a few six-point bucks in his day.

p.s. I'm diggin' the overpriced glassware you were drinking out of!

9. wiltznucs

Lol, now I get to connect the Untappd/BA usernames...

Hopzilla likes this.
  10. Hopzilla

Trader

Untappd/BA/Instagram

But you'll never find out!

11. wiltznucs

Lol!

12. Mangbus

I'm kinda glad I don't live / work near the brewery because I'd be there every Tuesday just to see what they come up with.

Anyone care to share their favorite so far (not named Huna!)

gjoker321 likes this.
  13. velcrogrip

Best one i've ever had was a toss up... Penultimate Push and Gates of Hell. Both were awesome. Rum Zhukov also made an appearance, but I missed that one. Life is Like... was also one, and i think but may be wrong that Good Gourd Almighty might have been the same day, but don't hold me to it.

Oatmeal Raisin cookie is always a winner. White Oak Peach Jai Alai was awesome. Habanero Peach IPA was one I liked.
    One of the better off the wall ones was Red White and Blue IPA. it was Red Oak aged, White Oak Aged, Blueberry IPA, made for Independence day. really liked that one.

They are usually creative and half the time pretty cool and 1/4 of the time i could take it or leave it, and a few times just not my thing. Smoked Marzen comes to mine... wasn't terrible (although some would disagree there), but i don't like smoked beers.

gjoker321, Hopzilla and Mangbus like this.
  14. wiltznucs

Lately for me its closer to half of them that I'm indifferent to. There are some rare gems but there have been as many that are vile/drain pour material. That Smoked Marzen being one of them plus White Oak Citrus Punch and the recently released Dark Woods being another that come to mind immediately. Nobody bats a thousand and that's part of the fun of it.

As for the best? Rum Zhukov, Life is Like, Good Gourd Almighty and Hunahpu have all hit in the past year. If you like Maduro variants and IPA treatments then Growler Tuesday is for you. After attending most Growler Tuesday's for the past two years I'll admit that the routine does become a bit stale. There are several brews that seem to pop up regularly i.e. White Oak Peach IPA, Key Lime IPA, Granola Brown Ale, etc and at some point you begin to feel like you've had them all.

Lately I've found it hard to motivate myself to go.

Hopzilla and velcrogrip like this.
  15. velcrogrip

Be motivated next Tuesday. :wink:

16. Hopzilla

Trader

I just want to say thank you to @Bartos for hooking it up in the past.

Bartos likes this.
  17. Bartos

Bartos Mar 8, 2013 Florida

Today's Growler/Crowler Tuesday is Blueberry Pancake Brown Ale

18. Bartos

Here's a list of the recent Crowler Tuesday offerings...

08/05 - Lime Session Berliner
    08/12 - Blueberry Ginger Saison
    08/19 - White Oak Key Lime IPA
    08/26 - unknown
    09/02 - White Oak Lemongrass Pale Ale
    09/09 - Coffee Cherry Almond Black Lager
    09/16 - Hunahpu's Imperial Stout...then...Vanilla Maduro Brown Ale
    09/23 - Swordfight IPA (IPA aged on Spanish Cedar and White Oak)
    09/30 - Humidor Series Smoked Märzen
    10/07 - White Oak Peach Experimental Pale Ale
    10/14 - Granola Brown Ale
    10/21 - The Dark Woods Imperial Porter
    10/28 - Key Lime IPA
    11/04 - Blueberry Muffin Brown Ale
    11/11 - White Oak Peach IPA
    11/18 - Rum-soaked White Oak Coffee Vanilla Double Nut Brown Ale
    11/25 - White Oak José Martí India-style Porter
    12/02 - Peppermint Brown Ale
    12/09 - Cuvee de Fromm #1 (Blend of Bolita / Warmer Winter / Puppy's breath - aged on rum soaked white oak.)
    12/16 - Blueberry Pancake Brown Ale

19. Hopzilla

Trader

ISO

iong516 likes this.
  20. gjoker321

gjoker321 Dec 26, 2007 Florida

Just FMI, Why do you have this list? It's awesome that you do but just seems rather tangent.

21. Bartos

It's kind of just building off of what Mangbus listed in his original post and what velcrogrip and wiltznucs were saying about their favorites and how CCB gets into a routine (common threads - white oak treatments, maduro treatments, etc.)

I didn't "have" this list. I just put it together real quick by browsing the El Catador facebook page (slow day at work). Hence the reason is only goes back to August 5th (which is when El Catador FB page purged all the members for the new edition) and why one of the weeks is missing

22. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Do you have to be and El Cat member for the special Tuesday release and is it one per person?

23. Mangbus

Tuesday is one growler or crowler per person. First come first serve.

Hopzilla, velcrogrip and HeartofMiami like this.
  24. gjoker321

Slightly off-topic but might as well ask it here. So how long do people find crowlers stay good? If kept cold and still? I picked up a blueberry pancake brown ale crowler and want to take it to Funky Buddha day (three weeks), will it still be good?

25. velcrogrip

I've had growlers and crowlers for various lengths up to 4 months (unopened) w no problems (non-hoppy beers)
    Three weeks should be fine w a crowlered brown.
    Maple is subtle so that may fade.

gjoker321 likes this.
  26. gjoker321

Thanks @velcrogrip ! Should be an interesting experiment. I think I saw your name on the FB forum so see you there!

27. velcrogrip

No problem. Will be curious of your results. I haven't opened either of the last 2 crowlers yet.

won't be at the FB share. I wish I was. Definitely going to be in the hunt for MBCP.

gjoker321 likes this.
  28. basto

basto Mar 7, 2014 Utah

I saved a crowler of Dark Woods for about 5 weeks. It was perfectly carbonated and delicious but it had lost the citrus hoppiness that made it so good. I am sure the Blueberry Pancake will still be perfect by then.

gjoker321 likes this.
  29. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

Do they tap them at noon?

30. Mangbus

They will usually be available when the tasting room opens that Tuesday at 11am.

31. joshodonn

joshodonn Jan 21, 2011 Florida

There may be some confusion in previous question and this answer.... Crowlers for the standard growler-able beers are available from the minute the doors open at 11am. The special 'growler Tuesday' beer doesn't get tapped until 12 pm, and it's not unusual for there to be 30-40 growlers/crowlers lined up by the time they actually start pouring.

Mangbus likes this.
  32. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

Thanks for clarifying

33. Bartos

Today's growler/crowler offering...White Oak Fireball IPA

gjoker321, powpig2002 and Mangbus like this.
  34. powpig2002

powpig2002 Jan 26, 2012 Florida

Interesting

35. gjoker321

I'm assuming cinnamon makes it 'fireball'?

36. joshodonn

joshodonn Jan 21, 2011 Florida

I think they soaked the white oak spirals in Fireball whiskey

gjoker321 likes this.
  37. iong516

iong516 Jul 4, 2013 Pennsylvania

Refilled a well cleaned glass growler with Swordfight, brought to a share a week later (kept cold) and it held up great.

38. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Forgive my vulgar display of ignorance....what is a crowler?

gjoker321 likes this.
  39. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Trader

32 oz can filled and closed on site. Look at my post a pic of your latest haul for examples

TonyLema1 and gjoker321 like this.
  40. LADEDA

LADEDA Jul 29, 2014 Florida

While show and tell is in session, can a Cat member post a pic of the 16 oz container they received? That would be a great serving size for those in the Fogeys' Beer Club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.