CCB Humidor Series IPA in Florida

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Stugotzo, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

It's out and about. Picked up some last night at TW St. Pete - $8.99/4-pack less $1/ea. with a coupon. :sunglasses:

jcb7472 likes this.
  2. TheChef18

TheChef18 Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Florida

That's a really good price considering the brewery charges $11 a 4 pack. That honestly frustrates me they aren't the most reasonable with their own product.

jmm380 likes this.
  3. Stugotzo

I can't opine on their business practices, but....

I worked for Kodak (corporate) back in the '90s when it was still a very viable company. We had a company store on the premises. They sold film (regular old 200 speed color film) for something like $7 a roll. Meanwhile, 3 miles away there's a Wegmans that sells it for $9 for a 4-pack. I asked why it was so much more expensive for employees to buy our own products, and it was explained that it was for emergency situations only, and Kodak didn't want to drive away business from our own customers and distributors, who create a market for us.

Probably something similar with CCB and their distributors, but not quite to that extent.

4. TheChef18

No, I completely understand. You're absolutely correct. While I am fine with them not undercutting businesses I do believe they shouldn't be 20% more expensive.

5. chardlogic

chardlogic Aspirant (238) Feb 18, 2011 Florida
    Trader

I think there's a law on the FL books that states that they can't sell it at a lower price than their distributors.

Also... any sightings in South FL?

Barhoppin13 likes this.
  6. Barhoppin13

Barhoppin13 Aspirant (231) Oct 6, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I love this beer. My favorite from CCB

7. Stugotzo

Last night was my first taste of this beer. I do like it, but prefer regular Jai Alai. This had a bit too much cedar bite... for me, at least. Then again, it was just bottled on 11/6/13. Maybe if I give it another week or two, it will mellow out a bit more to my liking. Still, glad to have gotten it and tried it... finally!

8. HopsJunkiedotcom

HopsJunkiedotcom Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Florida

The cedar treatments CCB does are always palate wreckers.

9. TheChef18

As a cigar lover, I really enjoy the cedar treatments.

Barhoppin13 likes this.
  10. gunhaver

gunhaver Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Florida

cracked open a Humidor 750 from a few years ago recently. the cedar flavor was not mellow at all, so it's going to take more than a few weeks

Skrypt, HopsJunkiedotcom and Stugotzo like this.
  11. jeg518

jeg518 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2013 Florida

TW in Boca had it yesterday. I love the cedar bite in this, it works so well with the hops.

12. Stugotzo

Thanks for the feedback. Still good.... just my preference is more for the regular Jai Alai.

Now.... if only I could find the White Oak Jai Alai when it comes out. :angry:

13. HopsJunkiedotcom

HopsJunkiedotcom Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Florida

For those who dig cedar treatments, I recommend Jester King's El Cedro. It's hoppy, cedary, brett goodness

305BEER likes this.
  14. 305BEER

305BEER Initiate (52) Jan 4, 2011 Florida
    Trader

El Cedro is the only cedar treated beer I have enjoyed. And about mellowing this one out... not gonna happen, I've tried after buying more 4 packs than I can finish. I ended up giving it to some cedar fans who loved it.

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  15. Stugotzo

I'm having a tasting next month. Will probably open a couple bottles for that.

16. blamethemovies

blamethemovies Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2012 Florida

As a heads up, was talking to folks at the Total Wine at Millennia (Orlando) and they said they'll be getting it on Friday if it's not already there. It's probably behind the counter per usual.

17. jcb7472

jcb7472 Zealot (537) Jul 13, 2011 Florida

I picked up some last night and enjoyed it. I think I might like the White Oak Jai Alai just slightly better, but this one is still really good. Agree that the cedar blends nicely with the hops.

18. gunhaver

gunhaver Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Florida

there are two 4-packs remaining in the tasting room.

19. Stugotzo

I think I'd enjoy the beer more if it was aged with Connecticut wrapper instead of cedar. Maybe even some rich Nicaraguan filler. :wink:

TheChef18 likes this.
  20. flag8r

flag8r Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Florida

Snagged a 4 pack today at TW Jax. Such a fiasco, now there are two places they set aside beers at that location. One person said "we definitely don't have any" after looking around the front. There was a 4 pack on the counter apparently held for someone. After asking another manager, he looked in the same place and miraculously found some. Come on TW, get it together.

21. Stugotzo

I just went to TW Clearwater around 1:30. They had some on the shelves next to the "regulars" of CCB. Surprising. Usually, the seasonals or limited releases are only on endcaps or in the "seasonal" section.

I did pick up some Sugar Plum. Looking forward to trying yet another new one (for me). :sunglasses:

22. flag8r

IMO the Sugar plum is kinda meh. Humidor is on deck.

23. Stugotzo

Figured that from the reviews, and also from feedback from friends at work. Still, I'm game to try everything once.

24. flag8r

The Humidor smells and tastes like a humidor. I realized tonight that I'm a much bigger fan of White Oak Jai Alai followed by Jai Alai, followed by Humidor.

jcb7472 and Stugotzo like this.
  25. chardlogic

chardlogic Aspirant (238) Feb 18, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Anyone getting a sharp almost sour nose on their Humidor IPA's? Don't recall that flavor profile being on them...

26. cyrushire

cyrushire Defender (691) May 25, 2012 Florida

I personally lean the opposite way. White Oak tastes too much like dill to me.

27. Brewing_Rob

Brewing_Rob Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Florida

I agree, not a fan of White Oak unless it's the Rum White Oak. The rum aging really mellowed the oak and complimented the Jai Alai. Otherwise I still enjoy the Humidor more that the standard Jai Alai or White Oak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.