Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

'cellar' in a wine fridge? what stouts/porters to cellar?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Hdredfern, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

ok can I cellar/age a beer in just a normal wine fridge? or does it have to be standing up right in your opinion (i have already read this sites instructions, i just wanted some peoples personal opinions and stories about this)
    and second of all. what are some easy to get stouts or porters that would be a good cellar? i was thinking rogue Shakespeare oatmeal stout, black beut porter, and stone irs. Are those good ideas or are those just to common to and not what would be thought as a good idea.

p.s. sorry for the bad grammar.

2. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 New York

I cellar all of mine upright
    Stouts, Porters , Barleywines all should age fairly well
    Anything higher in alcohol usually is a sure bet to age gracefully

3. stupac2

stupac2 Zealot (518) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

There's no evidence whatsoever that bottle orientation matters for aging. (Believe me, I've looked, for a long time.)

I personally don't bother much with cellaring anything besides lambic, but you can feel free to try whatever you want. Stone IRS is often cited as a good one to age. I personally don't believe the Rogue deserves any of my money, so wouldn't go with them (if you want to know why just google "rogue brewing business practices", I'm sure the results will be explanatory).

4. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

Yeah, I definitely want to do the Stone IRS as I already love it. As for the Rogue comment, if it doesn't have anything to do with me then it doesn't bother me. Everybody chooses there own jobs.

5. grumpy

grumpy Disciple (368) May 24, 2005 Missouri

"ok can I cellar/age a beer in just a normal wine fridge?"

Yes, it's an excellent approach. Steady, cellar-like temperature range.

Hdredfern likes this.
  6. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2008 Texas

Wine fridges work just as we'll, if not better than a regular fridge.

The stuff in Austin that I've bought to throw in my "cellars" are Bigfoot, Old Rasputin, Old Stock Ale, Brooklyn BCS, Brooklyn Monster, Old Foghorn, Stone IRS, Old Guardian, and Courage IRS. These are all relatively cheap and do really well with 2+ years on them. I prefer 12oz and smaller bottle now though because they're easier to store in my chest freezer and less of a commitment to a big beer when I'm by myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.