Cellar inventory apps / sites

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Skwalk47, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (243) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I know this has been covered in the past, but wanted to get a fresh take since apps and sites are always being updated (or neglected). What are you guys using to keep track of your cellars? How do you like it?

2. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Disciple (336) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

I use inMyCellar. I like it, pretty straight forward, and easy to use. You can sort by name, cellard date, or number of bottles. The only downfall is there is no "cloud" back up, so if your phone takes a shit you're s.o.l..

Skwalk47 likes this.
  3. geodonnokepyo

geodonnokepyo Devotee (466) Oct 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

I use inMyCellar as well. I like it too. It doesnt have everything, but it seems to be the best cellar inventory app out there, atleast in my opinion. I have tried others and been very dissappointed

Skwalk47 likes this.
  4. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (243) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Does it scan barcodes? I am going to give it a try.

5. BigIslandfarmer

No barcodes, it's pretty basic

6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,486) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

:astonished: I'm soooo old. I use masking tape and a permanent marker.

7. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Crusader (704) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm a fan of cellarhq. It's had some major issues in the past but runs very smooth for me ever since they made major upgrades to their platform. No bar code scanning though.

8. BigIslandfarmer

That must be an iPhone only app as I can't find it on the Play Store... edit: not an app, a website. Just signed up and trying it out. Looks promising so far...

#8 BigIslandfarmer, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    VABA likes this.
  9. BigIslandfarmer

I liked Cellarhq at first but you can't add beers from a brewery not in their database. I have a bunch of beers from my local brewery that I can't add...

VABA likes this.
  10. BigIslandfarmer

Nevermind, I'm an idiot, I figured it out...

11. CoreyC

CoreyC Aspirant (267) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I use beercellar.me and really like it. It's a website, so I can access it on my computer, and it also has a mobile version so it works from my phone as well. You can sort by type, storage location (different cases or however you organize), bottle date, quantity, etc. but most importantly by "drink by" date that you put in.
    I'm a big fan.

Rfro5 and CyberMonk like this.
  12. Samlover55

Samlover55 Defender (617) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure a fellow BA is behind it

13. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (393) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I cannot seem to find any of these in the Apple App Store. A Man i crazy?

Really want an app for my phone over something on my computer.

14. phildow

phildow Initiate (181) Jan 6, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I just use Google Sheets as it's always available, assuming you have an internet connection. I think that technically counts as a "site." :stuck_out_tongue:

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,165) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I use a shelf.

prg and Bruno415 like this.
  16. CyberMonk

CyberMonk Initiate (62) May 18, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Guilty as charged. Site now found at cellar.beer BTW (formerly beercellar.me).

17. skeevn

skeevn Initiate (127) Sep 25, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

i use excel :slight_smile:

ericwo likes this.
  18. kylenabilcy

kylenabilcy Initiate (148) Aug 10, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

The slow demise of Brew Vault -- not a perfect app, certainly, but one that had pretty much everything I wanted -- has really been bumming me out.

I need an app that I can import to and export out of, one with some form of authority control so beer and brewery names have some sense of internal consistency. A friend pitched me http://haveyouseenmycellar.com, which will at the very least give me a good way to reintegrate all of my data -- if Brew Vault's servers come back online so I can export my existing cellar data, that is.

If someone made a good app that took metadata from somewhere like Untappd, enabled import/export, and didn't have a ton of wasted UI space or big candylike buttons, I'd be over the moon.

sharpski likes this.
  19. CyberMonk

Beer Trader

cellar.beer offers (I think) what you're asking for, including import/export and a centralized database. Something to check out.

I like http://haveyouseenmycellar.com/ as well--not what I'm after, but good for those who want a non-centralized, anything-goes cellar manager with support for a lot of organization modes.

#19 CyberMonk, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    sharpski likes this.
  20. kylenabilcy

kylenabilcy Initiate (148) Aug 10, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

So, as a librarian by day, I very much appreciate the accuracy of your service's brewery name database. HYSMC abbreviates the names and it drives me kind of batty.

Two questions, though. 1) I'm not seeing a Date Added or Acquired Date or anything in cellar.beer, and 2) Any chance there would be a way to group beers by brewery, which could be shrunk or expanded to save scroll time? The grouped-by-brewery thing might be my favorite feature of Brew Vault that isn't successfully replicated anywhere else.

CyberMonk likes this.
  21. YoDude

YoDude Initiate (178) Nov 21, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

22. CyberMonk

Beer Trader

Per-brewery filtering for https://cellar.beer is imminent, and other metadata additions are planned with no set date.

kylenabilcy likes this.
  23. beerthiefdotca

beerthiefdotca Initiate (100) Nov 19, 2017

Has anyone heard any new news about Brew Vault? I tried to find the app creators to see what's up but no luck there.

24. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (282) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Has anyone else had an issue with CellarHQ the past few days? When I try to visit the site I get a warning that "the connection may not be private".

kkleu357 likes this.
  25. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Are you on Comcast?

26. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (282) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Yes, apparently their SSL certificate expired Thursday.

27. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

There's been a number of local issues with Comcast for me on this front. All, as far as I can tell, isolated to NO browser, but always to Comcast, regardless of location accessing certain websites from. (Tech support for these sites have then verified this.)

28. Hinda65

Hinda65 Aspirant (203) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Beer Trader

here's my attempt at keeping track...I was doing good for a while crossing stuff off, adding new beers, but then I got lazy. bombers on the left/12oz on the right
    [​IMG]

29. CyberMonk

Beer Trader

Their SSL cert actually has expired, so this isn't a Comcast issue. Most modern browsers will throw a warning with an expired cert.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  30. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Good to know. Just saying that I experienced this exact issue with OTHER websites that did not have any cert expire but it was indicating that it was due to a Comcast issue.

CyberMonk likes this.
  31. kkleu357

kkleu357 Crusader (752) Apr 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

CellarHQ still seems to not be working for me. I get an error that says "CredentialsException". Might be time to try a different tracking system.

32. comoxlandia

comoxlandia Initiate (27) Sep 15, 2016 British Columbia (Canada)

For those who use Untappd, have a look at the beerxchange app. Integrates with Untappd so it's easy to find beers and manage inventory when things get drunk. I've just switched to it from beercellar.me

kkleu357 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  33. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I use (used?) it. I have a hard time remembering to update it when a I acquire or trade things. I suppose this is to be expected just like wth any app. However, I think I might have more success if I just kept a paper sheet.

34. comoxlandia

comoxlandia Initiate (27) Sep 15, 2016 British Columbia (Canada)

Yeah, a perpetual problem for me too. Well, problem is wrong word. More like reality. Ofttimes just enjoying pulling out beers etc takes precedence over keeping the inventory accurate :wink:

35. Rifugium

Rifugium Poo-Bah (5,663) Mar 2, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Since I can't seem to find any other info on this, I guess I'll ask here.
    Is CellarHQ officially dead? Just want to know if I need to start recataloging my entire cellar or keep waiting it out. :grimacing:

36. kkleu357

kkleu357 Crusader (752) Apr 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I'm guessing it's dead. Probably switch to an online excel doc or something.

37. sharpski

sharpski Champion (865) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Just imported my cellar from HYSMC (easy .csv import and exception resolution was handled well). Dig the UT integration, their database is more relevant to me than any other and the ability to edit cellar qty. at check-in is golden.

38. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (443) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I use a custom excel spreadsheet. The problem is it's hard to keep up to date. Have to add beers and subtract beers. And every 6 months or so I print it out and "audit" the inventory. Can't access it on my mobile device though.

39. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Devotee (463) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Beer Trader

No masking tape but I also prefer the old school way.. These make me BEHAVE in case I get in the mood of cracking one open before the inscribed year :grin:

[​IMG]

40. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I love that!

I wish I had more space where those would be easily visible for me. In my case, I'd have to pull it out of the box just to be able to figure that out.