Cellar Worthy: STOUTs

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Rollzroyce21, May 15, 2012.

1. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I think it'd be interesting to gather some hard data on what the BA community has actually aged, tasted, and thought some age on a particular STOUT is definitely better than it being fresh.

If you experienced this with a stout listed below, then copy/paste the list and +1 to each stout you experienced. Let's consider "aging" to be at least a year old in the appropriate environment.

Feel free to add a stout if not listed, but you experienced it to be cellar worthy.

If you disagree with any listed, then just simply disregard. We'll let the numbers tell the truth.

STOUTs

(1) Stone IRS
    (1) Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti

2. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (502) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

*Same as the bwine thread.

Stone IRS- fresh it is ok, after several years (I've a few 08s) it gets thinner and starts to fall apart a bit. Decent but I'm not too crazy about it.

Yeti- this one is fantastic both fresh and aged, the oldest I've had is 2yr old and it was great and smooth like velvet. That reminds me that I need to pick up a few...

Abyss- great no matter what, however I feel the 07 is peaking way pad prime and lacks the character of the Abyss that I like most, 08 is either getting there or will be there soon. This is the beer that got me cellaring in the first place.

Triple Bock- not technically a stout, but this will put hair on your chest.

Huna- I prefer it fresh, 1 year old lost a lot of the cinnamon, chocolate and graham I liked fresh.

3. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,005) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I recently had both 12 and 11 Stone IRS on back to back nights, and I felt the 11 was better and smoother. Difference were noticeable and at this point I am waiting about a year before I touch any 12.
    I have not had a fresh Oak-Aged Yeti but did have a year old bottle that was very good.
    I have heard World Wide Stout ages very well, it has been a long time since I have had one, but thinking of doing an 06-11 vertical this summer.

4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,566) Mar 18, 2010 California

I had a growler fill of 2005 Stone IRS direct from Stone's archives and it was amazing.

5. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2010 Illinois

Expedition Stout cellars fantastically.

Mongrel, Jag237, gopens44 and 14 others like this.
  6. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (60) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Stone IRS is one of my favourite beers to age. It's a damn fine brew fresh, but out of this world with a year or more on it. I actually just bought a case of it (the first beer I've ever bought by the case) to age. I think Abyss ages well, but it's hard to say, as there's so much variation year to year. I did a vert this past Winter, and the 2010, for instance, was way better than the 2011, but I think a lot of that is that it was a better beer fresh than the 2011 rather than the age adding much to it.

7. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

Count so far...

STOUTs

(4) Stone IRS
    (1) Great Divide Yeti
    (1) Bell's Expedition Stout
    (1) Deschutes Abyss (btw, agree that both fresh and aged tasted great and couldn't tell which I preferred better, which is why I couldn't count it in myself. I figured someone would.)

8. muletrane

muletrane Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2006 Pennsylvania

Expedition Stout
    Stone IRS
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

9. muletrane

muletrane Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2006 Pennsylvania

Founders Imperial Stout

10. gshak

gshak Zealot (540) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

1. Dogfather
    2. Avery Mephistopheles
    3. Avery The Czar
    4. Dogfish head Palo Santo Marron (they call it a brown ale or whatever, but for my money it is a stout)
    5. Ten Fidy

11. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

Count so far...

STOUTs

(5) Stone IRS
    (2) Bell's Expedition
    (1) Great Divide Yeti
    (1) Deschutes Abyss
    (1) Brooklyn Black Chocolate
    (1) Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
    (1) Avery Mephistopheles
    (1) Avery The Czar
    (1) Founders Imperial Stout
    Not sure if we should list the Palo Santo here b/c of it's listed style on BA, but if another member mentions it, I suppose we can include it.

12. EricCioe

EricCioe Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 Montana

Stone IRS and Expedition Stout are ones that I can vouch for, bigtime.

13. Extravadanza

Extravadanza Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2011 Ohio

Thirsty Dog Siberian Night
    Great Lakes Blackout Stout
    (Currently aging Stone IRS, Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti, and Brooklyn Black Chocolate so glad to see them on the list)

14. Deshon2688

Deshon2688 Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I'd also call Palo Santo Marron a stout tbh, not sure why it's classified as a brown.

15. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,664) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Because that's how Dogfish classifies and brewed it, as a Brown Ale.

Caterwaul and Jnorton00 like this.
  16. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Caterwaul likes this.
  17. nawset

nawset Initiate (148) Mar 19, 2011 New Hampshire

Victory Stormking is better with some age on it. Too hoppy fresh imho.

18. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

Count so far...

STOUTs

(6) Stone IRS
    (3) Bell's Expedition
    (1) Great Divide Yeti
    (1) Avery Mephistopheles
    (1) Avery The Czar
    (1) Brooklyn Black Chocolate
    (1) Deschutes Abyss
    (1) Founders Imperial Stout
    (1) Great Lakes Blackout
    (1) Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
    (1) Thirsty Dog Siberian Night
    (1) Victory Storm King​

19. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Aspirant (272) Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'll give my vote to Abyss as well, I think it actually improves with age. Surprised nobody has mentioned regular BCS? I've found 2008 was drinking amazing and 2007 had mellowed a little bit back when I did vert. around New Years. For my tastes the peak seems to be around 3 years. My 2007 experience at four years was still excellent, but a little too smooth for my tastes, I like a bit of heat/bite to it myself.

Ted

eppie82 likes this.
  20. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

GD Yeti
    Stone RIS
    Brooklyn BCS
    Sam Adams Imperial Stout
    GI BCBS
    DFH WWS
    FD Gonzo Imperial Porter
    Old Raspy
    Old Raspy XII
    Stoudts Fat Dog
    Bell's Expedition
    Bruery Black Tuesday
    Southern Tier Oat/Choklat/Mokah
    Weyerbacher Tiny
    Black Xantus
    Big Sky Ivan the Terrible
    Smuttynose Imperial Stout
    Weyerbacher Heresy
    Zywiec Porter

21. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2005 Texas

I'll throw in a few votes, as my cellar mostly consists of imperial stouts. Most bottles listed below were aged between 1-5 years, with an average of ~2 years cellaring time.

Here's what has aged exceptionally well:
    Founders Imperial Stout
    Thirsty Dog Siberian Night
    Bells Expedition Stout
    Stone IRS
    Hoppin Frog B.O.R.I.S.
    Firestone Walker Parabola
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
    North Coast Old Rasputin

Here's what has aged 'okay':
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    Big Sky Ivan the Terrible
    Deschutes Abyss
    Founders KBS
    Weyerbacher Heresy
    Terrapin Wake 'n Bake
    Brooklyn Black OPS
    Sam Adams Russian Imperial Stout

Here's what has aged not so well:
    Oskar Blue Ten Fidy
    Victory Storm King
    Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti
    Saranac Imperial Stout
    Boulevard Dark Truth

22. tut2528

tut2528 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

+1 GI BCS

23. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,728) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Bell's Expedition and Founders IS age extremely well.. so do all of Hoppin' Frog's stouts. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is another good one that ages well. I've had aged Silva Stout and it's the best stout I've had, to date..

24. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Michigan

I'd put my vote down for Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (though with the caveat that it needs at least 5 years of aging).

Bell's Batch 9000 isn't listed as a stout on here (it is on RB) and I'd say it's closer to a stout than any other style. If it counts then it's on my list too. I couldn't stand the stuff fresh but it's actually pretty good at this point. I think it's still got a lot of life left in it.

25. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

To shorten list, only including those w/ 2 nods or above. Still keeping track of the rest.​
    STOUTs
    (8) Stone IRS
    (6) Bell's Expedition
    (5) Goose Island BCBS​
    (4) Brooklyn Black Chocolate
    (3) Founders Imperial Stout
    (2) North Coast Old Rasputin
    (2) Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S
    (2) Dogfish Head World Wide
    (2) Great Divide Yeti
    (2) Thirsty Dog Siberian Night
    (2) Deschutes Abyss

26. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

Did you find these to be just as good, if not better, than fresh?

27. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2005 Texas

A few of them, yes. Notably black ops and the sam adams. But most I found were better when fresh.

28. halo21

halo21 Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2004 New York

Brooklyn BCS
    North Coast Old Rasputin
    Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (6-10 months is all it needs. Mellows out the burnt notes, which I do also enjoy. Just different).

Not a vote, but I hope the Victory Storm King smooths out a bit. Not hot, maybe just too hoppy. We shall see.

29. RWNewhouse

RWNewhouse Initiate (118) Feb 14, 2011 Montana

I'll put a plug for Widmer's KGB '11 RIS. I've couple a couple of sixers from last year that are quite good now!

30. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Poo-Bah (2,505) Jan 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Abyss
    WWS
    BCBS

31. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 California

Put me down for another Abyss and Bourbon County. In fact, with Abyss, I feel like it needs a year on it to even taste like it's supposed to (label even gives a best after date, usually one year from bottling). It's like they're asking us to do the bottle-aging it needs on their behalf.

32. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2011 Texas

BCBS is amazing aged, had 10, 8 is still (somehow) not been drank yet, but if it is nearly as good then vote twice for them, it is amazing.

33. Bobheed

Bobheed Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Texas

Parabola, KBS, Abyss

34. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

STOUTs

(8) Stone IRS
    (7) Goose Island BCBS​
    (6) Bell's Expedition
    (5) Deschutes Abyss
    (5) Brooklyn Black Chocolate
    (3) Dogfish Head World Wide
    (3) Founders Imperial Stout
    (3) North Coast Old Rasputin
    (2) Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S
    (2) Great Divide Yeti
    (2) Sam Adams Imperial Stout
    (2) Firestone Walker Parabola ​

35. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

You know, I'm not sure this list is useful. Reason being, after opening 16 bottles of Parabola over the course of the year I feel pretty strongly that it ages very poorly. I think we're getting confirmation bias in these polls. Ask long enough and enough people will be pooled and every stout on the planet may very well be voted for.

Having said that, and I know this is a bit late, but I think asking the opposite, "What stout do you think ages poorly" in a seperae thread is useful as well. Maybe then make a master list of everything that gets 2 or more votes either way? So, with my -1 for Parabola you'd have something like:

(2) Sam Adams Imperial Stout
    (2 for, 1 against) Firestone Walker Parabola​

or

(2/1) Firestone Walker Parabola​

...just a thought.​
    Edit: You could even get more precise, and ask 3 questions: Does it get better, stays the same, or worse with aging and then show the data as (A/B/C) without any +/- signs, just how people voted.​
    Ted​

36. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

Hi Ted,

I had those same thoughts and almost went in that direction you stated. Actually, when I listed Parabola I knew someone would say something because I heard it doesn't do better with age.

But the main reason why I didn't is because the numbers themselves should reveal this if analyzed correctly.

Let's say we had 50 members share their stouts that they've experienced were better than fresh, if not just as good, and we had something that looked like this:
    (45) Stone IRS
    (42) GI BCBS
    (37) Bell's Expedition
    and towards the bottom we see Parabola at (4). This should tell us the "cellar worthiness" of Parabola is questionable. I agree with you that where this list stands right now isn't doesn't reveal much truth, but should gain more strength and value once more data is collected.

Though right now I'd definitely liked to try some Brooklyn BCS. Never had it, aged or fresh.

37. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

I'll try and add the "n" value from now on. I should've included that from the beginning.

38. Rollzroyce21

Beer Trader

Oh, and while I was contemplating including the minus value, I thought it would've invited too many questions like, "well, did you actually cellar that correctly? or did you happen to find that vintage sitting in a store..." that I didn't want to litter the thread with. And what if someone aged a particular beer too long before tasting and deemed it not worthy? I didn't know how to incorporate that in. If you happen to figure out another system that doesn't get too complicated, let's try and do that. I just couldn't figure it out.

halo21 likes this.
  39. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

True, if we get enough feedback the ones that there is consensus on that age well should bubble to the top. Let's hope a lot more people chime in here.

On it getting complicated, yeah - the more I think about how to poll this the more complicated it gets. I tend to over-think things...! :stuck_out_tongue:

40. goosewhisperer

goosewhisperer Initiate (0) May 28, 2011 Colorado

+1 for Parabola and Stone IRS.