Cellaring Hanssens Krieks

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Sourkehd, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sourkehd

Sourkehd Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2012 Massachusetts

So i've got a stash of old (old label) Hanssens Krieks from the depths of my liqour store. The wine guy said that they are about 5 years old. They are very dry and of course very sour. There is also a fair amount of sediment swirling around in these. His advice was to drink them all now as they are "peaking" and will only get worse from here. Does anyone have these older than 2007 vintage that can speak to their capabilities over time? I did have a much older Oud Beersel Kriek that was amazing but the two are very different from each other fresh.

2. cpferris

cpferris Initiate (51) Jan 22, 2008 Indiana

I've opened a couple 90s bottles and really enjoyed them both. Very funky...I think I still have one old one left. If you are looking for fruit, then don wait an longer. Personally, I enjoy aged fruit lambics by many here do not.

3. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (4,002) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

If they have the old label they're probably older than 2007. I bought a bunch in 2008 that have the same label they use today. Also, I'd drink them if I were you.

4. kaips1

kaips1 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Kentucky

if you want more sour than they have now, age them even longer, Hanssens is good about making sure their blends dont fall off after such little time.

5. Sourkehd

Sourkehd Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2012 Massachusetts

Thanks for the input guys. Ill probably drink most of them now and see if a couple will get to mind numbing sourness in a few years.

6. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

In general, krieks tends to hold their flavor longer than other fruit lambics. The cherry seems to have more staying power. That being said the longest I've had a Hanssens Kriek in my cellar is probably a little over a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.