Cellaruary: Beer is meant to be consumed, not collected. (2024)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Feb 1, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Another year, another generation of forgotten beers in your cellar (or wherever you send your beers to die).

Yes, Cellaruary is back! Like 2023 and 2022, the tl;dr is the same: drink your beer cellars dry and share your experiences with this thread throughout the month of February. Especially all of you Dry January nerds. It's time to suck it up and undo any of those gained benefits.

As for me, I was forced to drink and giveaway my entire beer graveyard dating back many decades as I couldn't ship any of it to Finland. But I'll search the Alko beer shelves here in Helsinki and hopefully find something past it's prime so I can join the fun.

Anyway, LFG! :beers::heavymetal:

#Cellaruary: Beer is meant to be consumed, not collected.

Few beers actually improve with age. Most will end up being drain poured or deemed "interesting" as our brains struggle to process the wasted time, money, and emotions. Regardless, many of us are probably holding on to beers that should've been enjoyed months, years, or even decades ago.

[​IMG]

So, henceforth, February will be known as Cellaruary. Raid your beer cellar! Close your eyes and grab a random bottle. Crack open that beer that's been waiting for that special occasion that'll never occur. Go ahead. Do it. Throughout the entire month. Cellaruary gives you permission to drink your beer cellar dry! Because beer is meant to be consumed, not collected.

And hey, we're in this together. Share your #Cellaruary journey with this thread and all the socials.

Cheers! :beers:

2. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

3. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,073) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thank you @Todd for kicking off the annual Cellaruary event. I will be posting some reviews in our year round Cellar Review thread which I hope you all have a chance to join us whenever you would like to share your latest cellar success.

I reviewed this batch and offering two months ago in the 2023 thread, so will not post a formal review in the 2024 thread to avoid near duplicate treatment. My cellar goal this month is to enjoy up to 15 cellar offerings, and my goal in 2024 is in part to enjoy my remaining 35 Revolution cans with the old design featured below (Jan 2022 and prior), leaving only the past two years in my cellar.

Revolution Supermassive Cafe Deth (2021)

[​IMG]

Can Notes:
    Canned 6/30/21, 12 oz, 14.3% ABV.

Link to my December 7, 2023 review of the same batch held under the same conditions (refrigerated since purchase during the release).

Looks the same as a few months ago. Getting some pepper and oxidation aroma notes but otherwise it has mostly held up well. Barrel and base take a step back to the massive dark roast coffee aroma wise throughout.

It bursts with flavor, without the aroma flaws noted above. Nice creamy rich decadent chocolate fudge. Getting excellent flawless coffee, more so than Cafe Deth, but still well incorporated. Mouthfeel still wonderful, like fudge on a hot sundae cooled down, and a few espresso top offs. Drinks light and easy at the first portion, but hits me about 3-4 ounces in.

Bottom line, this was a great offering, this still is a great offering, and if you have kept your cans refrigerated hopefully they have held up as nicely as this one!

Cheers!

4. papposilenus

papposilenus Grand Pooh-Bah (3,208) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There was a study done many years ago concerning the correlation between delayed gratification and subsequent success later in life. Children were given a marshmallow and told that they could eat the marshmallow now or save the marshmallow and and get a second marshmallow later on. Or something like that. Then researchers checked in on the children years later and compared how successful they'd been.

Personally, although I think that I've been only a qualified failure in life, I was always an eat-the-marshmallow-right-the-fuck-NOW sort of kid and, as an adult, I've never been able to hold onto a bottle of beer for longer than maybe a week.

All of which is to say that I will not be participating in your Cellaruary event. Besides, it sounds a lot like me trying to say 'celery' after a long night's kalsarikännit.

[​IMG]

5. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,081) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Huzzah!

Let's Go!

I know I have beer fridge lingerers/loiterers. I'll be joining in the fun at some point this month!

6. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Dear Lord, I am WAY too prepared for Cellaruary.:grimacing:

7. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What were the best and worst bottles, and which bottles were you saddest to part with?

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

To hell with saying celery, I want to hear you say kalsarikännit. :wink:

9. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Happy to say my cellar is down to about a dozen beers from about 55. B4 crisscrossing the country i held a “ stout bout “ and gave about 40 of the beers away. I had several 2010 stouts and Belgian beers ,but must were in the 2015-2019 era. Happy to actually only have about a dozen left, and will never buy the way i did during those years . If i buy a 4PK/6PK now like ( Deth’s Tar/Willittized i try to drink them or drink what i buy sooner than later.

10. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Heck yeah! Thanks for kicking things off, @Todd ! My cellar is too full and I once again welcome the chance to chip away at it.

11. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,149) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

you and me both brother

12. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Grand Pooh-Bah (3,200) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You and me both. I'd challenge you to who can get the most out of their cellar this month but I don't think that would be healthy for either of us!

13. Whyteboar

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@Todd - while I generally bow to your encyclopedic knowledge of all things beer, I personally believe that a great number of beers age well. And even more that don't!

Anyway, this has been my favorite annual thread and I greatly look forward to it. I hope to eliminate at least 10% of my cellared beers that have been there for a year or more.

Cheers and let the fun begin!

14. Whyteboar

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ooooh, good question!

15. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Grand Pooh-Bah (4,676) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Cellaruary! A clever target @Todd and bookended right after that lousy anti-beer January (for some). Clean house! Back in 2023 I had a couple of beers with whiskers but I enjoyed them prior to Xmas. Currently I have 2 or 3 stouts that could potentially/easily be forgotten 'til Cellaruary '25: six Bell's 2023 Black Note, five SN Narwhal, two Founders KBS 2023 Blueberry, and a single can of (R.I.P) Lakes & Legends Salted Caramel Stout canned 1/11/23. I'm sure other offerings will probly eek their way into the beer fridge this year. Today's executive decision, per the thread, is that it's time to enjoy the single 385 day old L & L can right now. Cheers! Skull!
    [​IMG]

16. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,133) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My most regretful cellared beers were the 4pak of 2013 BCBBW I drank over the last few years. .Fresh it was the best barleywine ever tasted by this old hippie (Alpine Great #2) Two of the four were badly sedimented and had developed off flavors, one was just a sad, faded reminder of former greatness, and one aged brilliantly, so 75% failure rate.

I have my February beer in the fridge, a FW 15 Anny, and we will find out if it held up as well as the 14 I opened some time ago. Planning to pop it today, but we'll see how today goes. Cheers to Cellaruary!

17. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We all have to believe in something...

18. elNopalero

elNopalero Grand Pooh-Bah (4,568) Oct 14, 2009 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I started early this year with a nice run through some big beers during a stretch of short days and cold nights.

Of course, like the Hydra it seems every time I drink one I end up picking up two more!

19. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,133) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Geepers you let that stout age for a whole year? I hope it hasn't developed off flavors and spoilage since waayyyyy back then :grin:

20. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Perfect time for this @Todd

I would love to kick at least 30 beers from my cache of beers. I know I have bottles of 2012 DFH 120 and maybe a few older bottles. I also have a BCBS 2012. All these old beers sit as I say “not tonight”. I am a collector at heart and unfortunately I started to collect beer, not on purpose.

I will be breaking my beer fast tonight with something in my fridge. I wanted a 60 minute but someone consumed it. I have a few Oktoberfest sitting as well as a BA spiced Bigfoot. Will see how I feel at 11pm after work.

should be a fun thread and I want to contribute a good deal.

Enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.