Central Iowa beer news and releases

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Sep 22, 2016.

1. DriftlessFarmer

DriftlessFarmer Initiate (70) Dec 15, 2016 Iowa

Thoughts on Wet? I think it kind of sucked again. Not a terrible beer, but pretty malty and sweet and in no way worth the price. I'll finish my current 4 pack and that'll be it.

2. errantnight

errantnight Savant (972) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Trader

The last time I remember Wet being really good is a distant memory at this point

mmmm5393 likes this.
  3. bufante

bufante Aspirant (248) Jun 28, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

I haven't bought Wet in years...glad I passed on this batch as well.

4. DriftlessFarmer

Yeah, I think I'm going to pass in future years unless I hear really good things.

5. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (465) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa

I bought some Wet at Urbandale last night after work. I drank it that night so it wasn't as cold as the other three will be.

But I thought it was good. I really like sweet, malty hoppy beers, though. I'll admit it probably wasn't as good as the first batch I had 2 or 3 years ago.

I'd like it a lot more at half the price. I think it was $17 there?

6. stuncandy

stuncandy Initiate (52) May 5, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

They're going 375ml for the flagships now. Which makes me much more likely to buy them, if they're priced accordingly. The 750s are usually $15, so if these are $7-$8 each, I'll probably pick them up more frequently.

ECOBOOSTINST and Disc_n_Beer like this.
  7. Disc_n_Beer

Disc_n_Beer Initiate (75) Mar 20, 2015 Iowa

I thought it was considerably better than last year, but at the price point it will be a one off for me, prefer the Chasin Freshies though I wish they'd bring back the all Amarillo version.

8. DriftlessFarmer

Isn't that a Deschutes beer?

9. skunkmark23

skunkmark23 Initiate (52) Nov 29, 2015 Iowa

Xocoveza (in cans!) showed up around the metro yesterday. Picked up a sixer at Mills Civic for $17. Tasted great last night.

Really looking forward to Born Yesterday hopefully landing in the next day or two. Looks to have the same hop combo as 2016, and that beer was outstanding.

ECOBOOSTINST, spark66 and BeerGuy8315 like this.
  10. Disc_n_Beer

Correct, hit distro this week in Iowa, 10.99 for a six pack of 12 oz bottles in Ames. They have changed hops each of the last five years (at least), this years is strata.

DriftlessFarmer likes this.
  11. Disc_n_Beer

How much heat from the chilies this year?

12. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (93) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

Did IA even see Wet before the "break" in 2014. Some really stellar batches back then.

I always thought the 2015 Simcoe version was underrated. The last couple versions were definitely underwhelming....

13. skunkmark23

skunkmark23 Initiate (52) Nov 29, 2015 Iowa

I only had one can last night, but there wasn't a ton of pepper heat IMO. Would say it was more cocoa/cinnamon with the pepper on the finish. If anything, it was maybe a touch thin. But I'll be buying more.

Disc_n_Beer and ToddSoonerFan like this.
  14. kanderna

kanderna Initiate (118) Sep 8, 2009 Iowa

Was there quite a bit of King Sue that went around, or was it pretty limited? I haven't had the chance to get out and grab some yet.

15. Disc_n_Beer

From what I've seen its been pretty limited, I got the last 4 pack at cyclone yesterday and North Ankeny Blvd only had 4 4 packs left up at the counter unless they had the rest stashed elsewhere.

16. mmarinko22

mmarinko22 Initiate (17) Sep 5, 2017 Iowa
    Trader

Prairie Trail only had 12 4-packs when I stopped over lunch today. Too bad they aren’t distributing larger quantities

17. BeerGuy8315

BeerGuy8315 Disciple (329) Apr 29, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Urbandale only got 3 cases and they usually get the most in the DSM area, so I’d say very limited.

18. errantnight

Trader

No idea, wasn’t in Iowa back then, but yeah, somewhere 5ish years ago was the last one I thought was great

19. dragonaut

dragonaut Aspirant (274) May 29, 2005 Iowa

Chasin' Freshies has always used different hops, but I agree. Strata hops are really unique, but impart a witbier-like quality to the flavor and aromatics.

King Sue was indeed quite limited this round…Prairie Trail only got a couple cases, which is a shame because this batch is phenomenal.

For those who like bourbon, the single barrel Knob Creek at Prairie Trail is superb, and an excellent value, as is the Elijah Craig small batch single barrel at Waukee. Ryan and Jon will have a Blanton's single barrel arriving shortly, too! If anyone west-siders can let me know when it arrives, I'd appreciate it, though I hope to bring the fam out for Barn Town's Oktoberfest on Saturday.

ECOBOOSTINST and ToddSoonerFan like this.
  20. dragonaut

dragonaut Aspirant (274) May 29, 2005 Iowa

I think it's cool to see Mason punching up at a time where most breweries are racing to the bottom on price, and doubling down on what Madhouse is best known for…but I will really miss Hopburst and Honey Pilsner as a local go-to when out and about.

stuncandy likes this.
  21. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (465) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa

I still am skeptical that King Sue has ever been put in cans and brought to Des Moines. I hit a few HyVee's semi-regularly and have yet to see it . . . :wink:

cotxia likes this.
  22. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aspirant (288) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

Xocoveza is tasting just as good as last year! Is anyone hitting Barntown on Saturday? Looks like they they are pulling out all the stops. Should be interesting

23. Foxman27

Foxman27 Initiate (176) Nov 21, 2015 Iowa
    Trader

The King Sue is probably out in MA and CA. Also if I’m counting correctly has Boston had more MD tappings than Des Moines?

24. BeerGuy8315

Trader

Des Moines has had two. Little Giant and Iowa Taproom. How many has Boston had? Either way that’s kinda bs that those markets are getting as much as local markets.

25. Disc_n_Beer

I've heard there will be a second drop of this batch of King Sue, should go out today or next week. Boulder taphouse in Ames tapped MD yesterday, 13.50 for a 5 oz. pour. Anyone got deets on born yesterday?

26. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Initiate (173) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Heading to Confluence 6th Anni party first and will head over to Barntown probably around 230ish.....

ToddSoonerFan and stuncandy like this.
  27. BeerGuy8315

Trader

I feel like that is way overpriced, but who am I to say anything I guess. Should be like $10 max imo. LG was $5 for 3 oz I think (I actually got more like 5 oz too). But I do remember the days when I hadn’t tried MD already and would have easily paid that, so don’t blame those that do.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  28. Disc_n_Beer

I should have noted that it included a Boulder tap house glass...I don't disagree that it might be overpriced but it certainly didn't seem to keep anyone away. If you work out the per ounce cost it works out to a $59.40 for a 22 oz bomber. The nose on this batch is insane, could smell the maple as my pour arrived to my seat at the bar.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  29. kanderna

kanderna Initiate (118) Sep 8, 2009 Iowa

Born Yesterday hitting Eastern Iowa today. Hopefully same around here.

30. Disc_n_Beer

Has landed in at least one metro Hyvee.

31. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (613) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

As of yesterday afternoon, there were cases and cases (14 I believe) of Born Yesterday at West Lakes HyVee. I picked up a 6er and it's great this year. I also had it on tap at Keg Stand yesterday and it's nearly identical to the bottles. Zero haze this year, but it's tasting great. Probably my favorite wet hopped beer each year. Bottled on 10.8.18.

32. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aspirant (288) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

Imo. Yes, Imo. Born Yesterday was very good. But. The last drops of TG Sue, Pompeii, King Sue, Sosus, and Imperial Golden Nugget have been better. Just 1 man’s opinion.

33. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (613) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

The 10/5 cans Golden Nugget that hit the DSM metro area this week (along with round 2 of King Sue) are tasting fantastic. Glad to see GNug is back to the quality that it was in that June and prior time frame and hope it stays now.

34. threedjmay

threedjmay Initiate (69) Apr 27, 2014 Iowa

I agree.. best GN I've had in a while.. wish I could have found the King Sue in DSM at same time.

35. errantnight

Trader

Gotta make sure they take care of their core Massachusetts market, first.

I'm moving soon, and I will not miss having the best local brewery be huge jackasses (please note I'm sure they employ many lovely people and they brew stellar beer I always have some on hand of).

Don't tell me if the best local brewery in the DC Metro are also jackasses, please.