1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Central Iowa Beer News & Releases 2019

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ECOBOOSTINST, Jan 2, 2019.

1. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (213) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Figured since the 2018 thread locked I would kick off the 2019.

Any sign of Firestone Walker XXII still?? Was 9ut of town when bottles hit.

Chantzrodriguez likes this.
  2. kanderna

kanderna Initiate (120) Sep 8, 2009 Iowa

This is a 2018 topic :slight_smile:, but was there a 2nd King Sue drop? I was at Waukee around 1:00 yesterday and there was a lone 4pk sitting up by the register. I asked about it and the cashier said it was the last of a couple cases that they started the day with. Dumb luck, as I missed the Christmas Eve drop.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  3. Disc_n_Beer

Disc_n_Beer Initiate (77) Mar 20, 2015 Iowa

Saw both in Ames today

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  4. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (473) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Happy 2019! I've had the flu for the last week or so, so I have a fridge full of Confluence 1000 and a few things like that waiting for me! :confused: :wink: :grin:

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  5. dragonaut

dragonaut Aspirant (276) May 29, 2005 Iowa
    Society

Snagged freebie bottle of Orange Gose from Peace Tree anniversary party New Year's Day in East Village and really enjoyed it. Presume it's hitting shelves this week, bottled as OG. Natural orange elevates it, and seems to gel with our warmer winter temps so far.

6. bufante

bufante Aspirant (248) Jun 28, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Barntown has a new batch of Pulp Non-Fiction, a favorite of mine from them. Also they have a new beer, West of 63rd-a hazy pale I guess. I haven't had that one yet. Both are available in crowlers.

ToddSoonerFan and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  7. dragonaut

Society

DAF, Sleek, and a Pineaplle/Vanilla/Lactose hazy IPA from Surly all in-stock at Prairie Trail Hy Vee. Also got Sumo. Saw they had Mozee. Also King Sue available on growler station.

ECOBOOSTINST and ToddSoonerFan like this.
  8. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Initiate (41) Dec 11, 2010 Iowa

Is Blushing Monk out yet?

9. kanderna

Noticed BCBS is on the growler station at West Lakes if anyone didn't get their fill.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  10. ECOBOOSTINST

Trader

Central Waters takeover at El Bait last night was awesome. Glad I got the chance to try BG and XX.

Also as an FYI, it looks like El Bait no longer allows outside bottles to be brought in to share. Stinks as it was part of the reason I have been able to try some very tasty out-of-market brews, but I understand it from a business perspective....

11. dragonaut

Society

I figured this was a when, not if change. There were times where I'd have my hands on a rare bottle on my way to EBS and my wife would talk me out of it, suggesting I just enjoy what's there and reminding me of the risk of having too much there and the business it takes away from a place we're lucky to have. It was fun while it lasted, but won't keep me away. I hope we are still able to trade there, I remember one time Keg Stand being quite awkward about me having an exchange/gifting a bottle to someone I brought in that I had no intention of opening but was many years back.

Has Hopslam or Blushing Monk hit shelves? I hurt my foot, so haven't been to stores recently.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  12. ECOBOOSTINST

Trader

Yea they said trading is fine on premise.....will report back on the Hopslam, going to check Hyvee after I pick up my daughter after work.......Keg Stand kicked me out a couple months back....Wife dropped me off to watche ISU football game while she went shopping across the street. Came back and had our daughter in her arms. Bartender promptly asked us to leave...ahahaha

13. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Initiate (41) Dec 11, 2010 Iowa

Figure I’ll chime in here.

I‘m on the board of the Des Moines Chapter of the American Outlaws that organizes the big US soccer watch parties at Keg Stand, been great working with them since before the 2014 World Cup.

Kids were not an issue until they were reclassified as a bar instead of a restaurant years ago. Ever since then it’s been tricky. Doesn’t matter the age, they are strict about it. Unfortunately, minors are excluded from our matches that will draw smaller crowds since it’s bar/game room only. For big games we also take the party room and they are fine as long as they stay back there.

It sucks but it is what is. It’s not like you just got unlucky or caught them on the wrong day. No privileges for anyone.

I know you aren’t complaining. Just figured I share the details for all.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  14. dragonaut

Society

I have had this issue, as well, but Keg Stand has always read more as 'bar' than restaurant/bar hybrid like EBS/High Life. My daughter actually asks to go to those places, and Firetrucker or 515 because she thinks they're fun and knows they're kid friendly, at least mid-day on the weekends. The classification does matter, but folks out west deserve to have nice places. Not sure if Wine Styles is similar but would suspect not. I have only been out to the one by West Glen once.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  15. Disc_n_Beer

Anyone seen Dino smores around the metro? Looks like it is making an appearance in Eastern Iowa...

16. stuncandy

stuncandy Initiate (53) May 5, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Gateway Market had Dino S’mores and the Coffee Dino S’mores 2 packs this afternoon.

Disc_n_Beer and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  17. dragonaut

Society

Did anyone catch dates on these? Some of the other Off Color offerings were quite old, and I couldn’t find it on Coffee or regular Dino S’mores at Prairie Trail. They usually appear on the bottom of 4pks and their case boxes.

18. Disc_n_Beer

Hopslam and Bell's "Larry's Latest Flamingo Fruit Fight" cans dropping today.

ToddSoonerFan and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  19. Disc_n_Beer

Any fresh TG 4 packs in the metro? I haven't seen anything date stamped within the last 45 days+

20. ECOBOOSTINST

Trader

Not that I have seen. Did see that Blushing Monk has dropped though

21. LumpkinBrews

LumpkinBrews Aspirant (253) Aug 30, 2013 Arizona
    Trader

Still ISO??

22. ECOBOOSTINST

Trader

I did find a couple...thank you though

LumpkinBrews likes this.
  23. BeerGuy8315

BeerGuy8315 Disciple (340) Apr 29, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Seems like TG is trying to offload a bunch of inventory with their discounts recently and from what I can see a lot of their stuff isn’t moving off the shelves very quickly based on the dates I’ve seen. Guessing were not gonna see fresh stuff until some of that starts disappearing.

24. Disc_n_Beer

Agreed, I've been enjoying the nimble series from single speed for my hops and been working through some big stouts I've had sitting around. Would buy fresh Pompeii, nugget or sue if it was available, but not really interested in the October November backlog I see sitting on the shelves.

TeeJep, bufante and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  25. Disc_n_Beer

Big Grove Hazepocalypse Vol. 2 'Duck and Cover' and 'Survival Kit' mixed 4 packs at Prairie Trail for 14.99; Also FSW Mind Haze 6 packs dated 1/18 for 8.99

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  26. ECOBOOSTINST

Trader

You should break up a 4/pack of the Hazepocalypse so I can snag a single after work....:stuck_out_tongue:

Disc_n_Beer likes this.
  27. Disc_n_Beer

Sorry, that's gonna be a no for me dog. :grin:

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  28. kanderna

Anybody know if there are any still hanging around anywhere?

29. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aspirant (295) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

It was at Ankeny PT this morning. I passed. Think it was $16. Don’t quote me. I thought about buying, but I’ll take November Pompeii instead.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  30. ToddSoonerFan

I will also agree on TG. Pseudo Sue is inconsistent. Pompeii has been great. Golden Nuggett has had 1 bad batch, but has been really good, otherwise. Would like to see Psuedo Sue get dialed in. When it’s on. It’s great.

hunttj likes this.
  31. Popwilleatme

Popwilleatme Initiate (40) Nov 29, 2016 Iowa

Still some at the Windsor Heights Hy-Vee as of yesterday morning.

32. spark66

spark66 Initiate (52) Jan 30, 2017 Iowa

Hy-Vee Mills Civic has Mornin' Latte on at their growler station $12.99 for 32 oz.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  33. ToddSoonerFan

Picked up Peace Tree Cold Coffee stout. It’s outstanding.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  34. ToddSoonerFan

Discovered some bombers of TG Galaxy Psue and some Mosaic Psue at Johnston Hyvee. I’m sure they’re at other Hyvees. Bottled on 2/11 and 2/12. Gnug, Pompeii, and Sue are getting long in the tooth. Not saying they’re not tasty. I’m just saying

35. NickTheGreat

Trader

I grabbed some of that too. Was really surprised to see it in Johnston! I think they had Hopsmack too, and not terribly old?

36. Disc_n_Beer

Hopsmack cans? Cause it's latest release was in cans.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  37. ECOBOOSTINST

Trader

yea I grabbed a couple that I broke out of a 4 pack at Prairie Trail Hyvee.....think they were dated 02/05/19 I believe

38. NickTheGreat

Trader

Yep, cans. I thought the canning date was in February, but not sure.

I also got some stuff in Ames this weekend. Hopsmack might have been there?

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  39. Hookstrat

Hookstrat Initiate (129) Jan 15, 2006 Iowa
    Trader

Wow, where did everyone go? Don't tell me Facebook...

Haves: Finally, tried some fresh cans from Big Grove. Easy Eddy and Polecat Porter both tasting great and will definitely enter the regular rotation. I still have yet to see any of their special releases though.

Wants: Where is TG FSM? Are we getting any of the new batch?

Chantzrodriguez and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  40. NickTheGreat

Trader

I'm still here. I grabbed some batch 1041 from Confluence yesterday. Haven't tried it yet. And some Double Dry Hopped DSM IPA. Exicted for that as well.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.