Central Waters 15th Anniversary Party

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dactrius

Dactrius Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I wasn't able to make it until 5:30 so I knew there was no way I was getting bottles which really helped me not be too disappointed with the event. We immediately got in the enormous line for 15 on tap despite believing there was no way they weren't going to run out before we got to the front of the line. Surprisingly they actually had a decent amount available and we got some which we proceeded to share as much as possible with our friends who arrived earlier and were pissed about getting shut out on bottles.

The tap list was great, the staff I dealt with was friendly, and the food was way better than expected. The buzz kill was that out of the 15 or so people I talked with every single one had been shut out on bottles and was pissed off about the way it had been handled. Maybe by the time I got there most of the people who got bottles were already long gone, maybe I just randomly only chatted up the unlucky, but it seemed like a horrible ratio.

It seems like the problems with the bottle sales have been well discussed so I'll just add the one complaint I haven't seen written about yet - even some of the people on the first shuttle failed to get bottles. Obviously there are other ways to be responsible and get there earlier but it's not cool when the most obvious and well advertised way to be responsible resulted in you missing out. I'm hoping changes will occur next year on a variety of fronts so that it's not an issue, but it should definitely be possible to both take a shuttle and buy bottles next year.

2. misterid

misterid Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

fuck that. you nerds have ruined this for each other, even.

the sense of entitlement that CW should have enough beer for everyone who wanted the 15, that the setup should be exactly perfect for your needs, that you all should get special treatment above and beyond the special treatment you already get... that's ridiculous.

stop showing up at these events hours in advance. be a part of the solution rather than the problem.. then maybe these problems will die down some.

instead you've got a brewery full of cranky nerds sniping about line cutting, not getting their fair allotment (fair??), the lines being too long, whining that CW should have anticipated this kind of crush and made more 15 so that BA's didn't get shut out, etc. you all are doing this to yourselves.

i'm fine with not getting the 15. that wasn't my goal that day anyways. did i want some? sure, i'd like to try it. did not getting it ruin my day? my week? my month? not hardly. i got a day away to enjoy time with friends, drink a bunch of awesome beer and party with people who i like. what more can you ask for?

i've been going to CW for years.. will continue to go for years more.. but will absolutely adjust my arrival time to later after the insanity has died down, the congestion has cleared and the hoarders have left so that there's more room to move about. by 6 o'clock it was back to a relatively normal state minus the agitated geeks who were making it hard to move, being rude to regular people who were just there to have a Honey Blonde and listen to bluegrass.

you all are acting as though CW owes this event and its beer to you, specifically. forgetting that they have been around a lot longer than you have been drinking their beer or going to their events.. and that whole time they have been serving their loyal customers.

are BA's and the hype that they create important to drive sales and get the word out? yup. and for that you're awesome. help get the word out that these guys are making great beer and putting on a cool event.. but let's not get crazy and think that it's YOU who made CW what it is and think that you deserve to be treated as such.

there's no reason for this to "jump the shark" like Dark Lord has where it was once beloved and now almost universally reviled because everything about it isn't perfectly catered to fanboys.

i'm thinking it's the sense of entitlement that needs to be adjusted.. cause, really, who wants to go to a place that's crammed full of people whining about how much it sucks... when your aim is to go there and have a good time?

this is a small brewery in the middle Wisconsin.. the way i've heard it said they should have had 300 volunteers on site making sure that BA's got the velvet rope treatment.

what did you expect?

3. Mjmoser

Mjmoser May 6, 2012 Illinois

Are you moving to WP?

4. misterid

exactly this. bums me out that people come and complain that it sucks... this is not just a house party with 20 friends.. this is a huge event put on by a small team.

there are going to be "imperfections".

what it is is a good time, with great beer, good music and tons of friendly people. it has expanded and changed every year i've been there.. for the better to accomodate the increasing popularity.

a crystal ball and unlimited time + funding to make this the perfect event for everyone would be awesome. unfortunately, that's not reality.

keep doing what you guys are doing. it was a great time. the heated tent was great, the separate bars were smart, the food truck was great.. the beer was incredible. thanks for opening up your workspace and second home to us and letting us trash the place.

5. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

There were maybe 30-40 people that showed up 2-3 hours early (I was there at 2pm - 1 hour early). If you would have gotten there 30 minutes earlier you would have gotten 15, so that's on you not people that showed up a little early.

By ruining this for locals (assuming your a local then), I would think you would have been in with the VIP's like most of the rest of the locals (and retailers, distributors, etc.).

6. misterid

i'm sure they immediately went home to complain about the brewery failing them and missing out on their deserved allotment

OH THE TRAGEDY OF IT ALL

those people will come back and support the brewery.. just as they always have.. they aren't going to bitch to their closest iFriends that the brewery is shit and to stop patronizing it because of missing out on one beer. one. beer. not a life saving heart transplant.. a single beer.

7. xsists

xsists Dec 31, 2007 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I got shut out of bottles maybe 20 people back when they ran out (also didn't get any BA night train at O'so). I got shut out at the tap line maybe 30 people back and I still had an AWESOME time. The other beers on tap (Exodus practically all night? Rye bourbon stout?) were incredible and the crazy music going on was enough to make me happy. Sure I was bummed and a little disappointed they didn't change the bottle limit when they were running low, but it didn't deter me from having a great time. I'll go again, regardless of bottle sales.

MarcatGSB, jegross2 and atone315 like this.
  8. atone315

atone315 Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Well, this thread has definitely taken a turn for the worse since Saturday....I kinda felt that was going to happen, since the 2nd post-

In summary: This sense of entitlement is lame. People bitching about Central Waters, after they threw a free party w/ a ridiculous tap list and had FREE shuttles, all night, are lame. All this bitching is lame.

When I throw parties at my house (free, no shuttle and no amazeballs taplist) and I hear people bitching about my food, or my beverages, or the way I have it setup....I simply do one thing the next time I throw a party.....don't invite those douche bags. So, I guess next year people will be complaining that it's a ticketed event and "they didn't get THEIR ticket" or "how come they didn't do things the way I want them to" or just complaining about whatever CW does to make their event better next year. It's kind of a no win situation for the brewery as people are always going to bitch.

Cheers to CW for throwing what sounds like one hell of a bash, I will make sure to not miss it next year!!!

p.s. It's Fifteen people, not 1515!!!

Mista, Duff27 and misterid like this.
  9. misterid

i got there at 3 after having lunch and spending time shooting the breeze with friends at O'so. we all wanted 15. none of us was crestfallen to have missed it.. mostly because i got to drink Peruvian Morning, Rye Bourbon Stout, BBBW, BBS, Coffee Stout, etc. on tap.

what's not to like about that?

and i'm not local. not even close. also, i go there well more than once a year for the anniv party.

10. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

What the fuck is right...I think you need to look in the mirror as far as entitlement goes. "The sense of entitlement" that you should have your own space on YOUR day because you met your buddies there, etc, etc, is as staggeringly blind as the beer "nerd" that barely missed out on 15 and may have made a comment or two about being bummed and you took as being "cranky" and "sniping".
    IMO, the reason breweries brew beers like Dark Lord, 15, BA Plead the 5th, is for the "nerds" as you say.

It seems to me, you have a great solution, and I think it's a good one. If you want to not deal with the "hysteria", and you want to drink Honey Blonde, then don't come until later in the evening after it calms down. You can still drink as much Honey Blonde as you want that day, or the next week, or the week after that, just as I can. CW is a great brewery, and they are part of an enormously fast growing culture. 1414 winning gold medal firmly placed them in the forefront of every beer centric person from Minneapolis to Detroit...and that's alot of beer people.

There isn't much you can do about it. You seem like you had a good time after all, then why such a negative attitude on the forum? I don't think either one of your lengthy posts as been productive, rather very destructive, and you are only going to make these "nerds" show up earlier, just to spite curmudgeons like yourself.

Cheers man.

11. jegross2

jegross2 Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

A lot of the above can be summarized as "wah wah wah wah wah wah"

I had fun. Anyone complaining they got shut out on the taps for 15 and 1414:
    a) Didn't plan ahead, and that's your own fault for feeling entitled for some and not waiting in line when there was clearly a huge line forming for the taps at least 30 mins prior to tapping

b) is being narrow minded. This year's peruvian morning, coffee stout are amazing. Exodus was also drinking sublimely. You coulda just drank those 3 all night

^^^ this is the right attitude.

12. jegross2

Beer Trader

No man, someone in a kia soul rented all the apartments :(

13. jegross2

Beer Trader

I dont know. I heard St. Louis is no longer drinking any beer because one guy got 7 bottles.

14. Mjmoser

Mjmoser May 6, 2012 Illinois

I was concerned about my property value ;)

jegross2 likes this.
  15. jegross2

Beer Trader

!!!!!

16. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

Wow, just stumbled in here. How about we alleviate these issues and make everything ticketed from now on to avoid this stuff. Remember people used to camp out for Aerosmith tickets outside for days/hours, then ticketmaster moved to a lottery system for tickets at their outlets and eventually everything was an online ticket. I know it sucks and only a certain amount of people will get tickets but its gonna make it easier and have far less bitchin. Its gonna kill the great line hangs & sharings (and meeting a ton of you nice folks) but maybe we can monthly rent out the back of some place and do that on our own (or for chicago'ans go to WLV). Three Floyds did it, Founders did it, and it looks like now everyone should do it. (((Full Disclosure, I'm an idiot & am just blabbering. I just wish that BA was full of less complaining but then again this event looks like it went pretty bad.)))

ppohio likes this.
  17. jegross2

Beer Trader

Cheers!

18. eyemustard

eyemustard Apr 5, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I missed out on Fifteen as well, but was immediately consoled by the extra BBBW and PM I was able to buy. My only complaint, however, are the guys who have the balls to head straight to the back of the line and try to scalp bottles. Can we come up with a non-violent and/or violent way to deal with these pricks?

biglobo8971 likes this.
  19. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

For those who got shut out of Fifteen and will be going to Hunahpu Day in March or DLD in April, shoot me a BM as we get closer to each event. I'll be outside both events with a tasting table set up and we'll do a side-by-side with Fourteen Fourteen and Fifteen. I'm going to assume I won't be the only one with these bottles, so if you got shut out, I encourage those to just mingle with other BAs at these and other events coming up. I guarantee you'll have several opportunities to try this and many more beers with a smile and an empty tasting glass.

Cheers!

20. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Apr 4, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Just wanted to put a last quick post up regarding this event and me calling out Mista. Throughout the VIP party, while I and many others were in line, we did see people sneek in as VIPs. I actually had a few people admit so much to me as they were putting the beer they had just bought in their car. That being said, I have no such proof and, therefore should not have made an accusation, that Mista was one of the people that did in fact sneak in.

I guess what it comes down to is that I felt that certain people took advantage of the trust CW put in its patrons and, on Saturday night, I felt that Mista was one of those people. If I was wrong about that, I apologize.

I would also just like to say thank you to CW. While there were certainly some negatives to the night due to the amount of people that showed up and the fact that they might not have been fully prepared for such a turnout, the intentions CW had in throwing this party were in the right place. They opened up their business and facilitities to a bunch of beer nerds and we should thank them for that. They sold us a beer that took them 26 months to produce for $15 a bomber bottle. As far as them not having the necessary protections in place to make sure some people didn't take advantage of the system is concerned, this is likely due to the fact that in past years, the overwhelming majority of the people that attended their parties were trustworthy and fair. Now that they know that will probably never be the case again, they'll have to put the necessary protections in place for future parties.

CityofBals likes this.
  21. jegross2

Beer Trader

Are you sure they snuck in to buy beer? I needed to use the restroom, so I walked in, gave the bouncer my wallet, and was back out a minute or two later.

22. cptnspeed1

cptnspeed1 May 20, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Overall, a great event. Like others have mentioned, even though some jag bags jobbed the system, if still I only have to get there a half hour before doors open to get bottles, it doesn't seem so bad. Most people that didn't get bottles assumed based on last year it would be easy. If CW had assumed everything would have been as easy as the 1414 sales, no one in line would have gotten any bottles. They worked with the info they had. Next year will be better organized, but I'm sure new problems will arise. That's what happens.

To everyone who wishes this was more like Darkness Day, have fun camping out in Amherst in late January. Its apples to oranges, especially with the city's open container ordinances (making bottle shares illegal). Keep in mind that bottle count for Darkness is 8 times more and that they are operating almost exclusively with their staff, whereas many releases in larger cities have a volunteer crew that doubles, triples, quadruples, whatever, their workforce.

To put it in perspective, here were last year's biggest problems:
    -Too crowded
    -Getting the rare taps was difficult to impossible
    -BA room was way to packed
    -Bathrooms were few and far between
    -Not enough food

What did CW do?
    -Added a tented section to accomidate more people and move some of the sales out of high traffic areas
    -Made a separate bar for rare taps
    -Moved the BA room to a larger area, yet kept the BA bathroom accessible
    -Added port-a-potties to the tent
    -Brought in a food truck with excellent food; some awesome, fantastic, marvelous, sensational BA made some great cupcakes for the Jensen Center booth.

Have faith that this event will be even better next year, and be constructive in your criticisms, because Paul and the guys do listen and will work to make as many of the malcontents happy as humanly possible.

Brad

Ssstraub, DemmBonZ, Oshy and 9 others like this.
  23. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Apr 4, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Yes, they each had two bottles of 15 and said they just walked in with a group of VIPs that had just gotten off of a bus.

24. jegross2

Beer Trader

Understatement of the century! Those Peruvian Morning cupcakes were amazing dude!

25. CityofBals

CityofBals Sep 12, 2012 Illinois

I think more focus needs to be given to the two years this beer spent in barrels, and that CW charges $15 for a bottle that is the father to a GABF Gold medalist son. Raise a glass to them, and look forward to next year, rather than bitch and moan.

Ssstraub, Oshy, Mscarpen and 13 others like this.
  26. Bildo

Bildo Jan 24, 2013 Minnesota

I had a great time at the CW event. I was a NOOB(for brewery releases) for some heavy beer collectors. drove 4.5hrs each way for the event. we arrived at the brewery at 10am. went back to steven's point grab a bite and score some beer we can't get in our home town and back to the brewery @noon. stood in line for the 15. meet some great people in line, and enjoyed fantastic beers......nearly perfect day

Penguin3200 and biglobo8971 like this.
  27. funhog

funhog Mar 8, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That's one expensive piss!

28. jegross2

Beer Trader

Lol, they gave it back. Had to do something to convince them I was really just trying to use the bathroom!

29. Weebay

Weebay May 14, 2010 Ontario (Canada)

Where else are all the Craiglist mule's going to live? :)

30. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

ppl should post them anyways so i know what i had, dont remember it all.

31. steebo777

steebo777 Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Like a boss!!!

32. gwulterkens

gwulterkens Apr 5, 2012 Wisconsin

From Central Waters Facebook page

Thank you to everyone for a great event! It was a long week getting ready, and a long day for us here, but we sincerely appreciate the support from everyone who was here, dealt with the long lines and crowded environment!

All of that said, allow me to address a few issues here. We certainly noticed some problems that we need to fix at future gatherings, we appreciate any constructive and positive criticisms, and welcome them, but negative comments, spamming our page, degrading comments about our customers or staff will not be tolerated here, and personally I feel don't have any place in any environment, however if you feel you would like your grievances addressed, send us an email through our website and we will respond directly.

We were completely surprised by the turnout we had here, and obviously unprepared for a few problems that developed as a result. Last year, we had the same amount of 1414, with no limit, and everyone got some bottles. This year we did 4 bottle limits, and a lot of people missed out on 15. We sincerely apologize to everyone that missed it, our sole intention here is to make sure everyone could try it, but we simply did not have enough beer. I know some of you traveled far for it, our deepest apologies for that, hopefully you still had a good time and took advantage of the availability of the numerous other rare beers we put out for sale! Knowing the turnout we had, the beer we brewed for next year, which has already been aging for a while, is in much greater supply, so making sure everyone gets some will be easier. We will likely do tickets for bottle purchases, so people in line know they are going to get the beer they are waiting for. We have some really fun and rare releases to offer next year, and we WILL fix the problems that developed this year. We were not aware of people line skipping or re-buying until after the fact, we will fix that.

We also know there was some problems with the shuttles, and that caused some angst, particularly as the night wore on. We doubled the shuttle space over last year, but now we see it isn't necessarily the shuttle space but the timing that was a problem. We WILL fix that too. I think getting a shuttle here every 20 minutes or so will alleviate these problems. That being said, please know that we pay for these shuttles so you can have a free and safe ride. If you had to wait an hour or so for a shuttle, or missed one because it was full and waited longer, that was a hell of a lot easier than being arrested, harming someone else or yourself or having to blow into a tube to start your car for the next year, so, your welcome.

Yes, we run what is being called a VIP for a few hours beforehand. These people are actually our wholesalers, their employees, bar owners, restaurant owners, liquor store owners and their employees, etc. It provides them, the folks that make this beer world happen, the opportunity to tour the facility, meet us, try some beer and purchase the offerings we have before the madness starts. We owe them that at least, without them, I don't have a business and you can't buy my beer, we all owe them a thanks. We did limit them to 2 bottles of 15, we know some ended up with more, but as stated earlier, we were not prepared for the crowd that arrived. We WILL fix this as well, making sure only the people we intend to be here early come early, and no one sneaks in unfairly.

So, problems? Yes. But easily fixable. A good time? Hell yes! We will reconvene as a group on our end shortly and revise how we handle these in the future, I am confident that the future releases will be worthy of your time, you will be able to know that you will get what you are coming for, you will get transported safely to your final destination at the end of the night, and we will all continue to have a great time doing this!

Again, a sincere thank you to EVERYONE! We were completely overwhelmed by the showing, the support and gratitude most of you showed for our hard work and dedication to our craft! From a very tired and weary crew, we couldn't do this without you, we appreciate your support, and we are gonna knock your socks off with the level of beer coming out of this place in 2013!

Cheers!

Paul and Anello

33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

World class response from a very classy brewery. Thanks for taking the time to address some of the issues people had, I have no doubt next year will be another great event! Thanks again!

Ssstraub, woodchopper, iadler and 7 others like this.
  34. misterid

we're all entited to opinions. unfortunately too many of them are bashing CW. the problem is right here amongst the "fans". all of them? not hardly. many of them? yes.

these things tend to turn in to runaway trains of blame the brewery/the beer sucks/i won't go there ever again. this one was/is turning in to that.

i don't go there expecting anything more than a few taps, good time with friends and to hang out at a place i enjoy. successful day by that measurement. i heard a great suggestion from someone in the know while at CW.. maybe the 16th will be in tents outside.. spread the crowd out more.. have a clearer separation for the hardcore from the mainstream.

i welcome that possibility

cheers

MarcatGSB likes this.
  35. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Look on the bright side guys, every time an event has issues, it causes subsequent ones to improve. Every time a limited beer sells out and people miss out, breweries make more the next year.

ppohio and hailster like this.
  36. CityofBals

CityofBals Sep 12, 2012 Illinois

BUT THIS DOESN'T HELP US NOW!

There are a lot of old people around.

37. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Apr 27, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I've kept up with this thread pretty well and I don't think there were many people bashing CW. I think a lot of people these days don't know how to take criticism and they project that inability onto things they like. Most of the so called "bashing" of CW seems to be constructive criticism and advice for the event going forward... Or maybe I'm blind.

Dactrius, nharres and pk18 like this.
  38. Diotima

Diotima Jan 9, 2013 Wisconsin

I hope I can say this without anyone jumping down my throat, but I did not enjoy this event. The atmosphere was harsh and unwelcoming, and it was hard to even get a beer at the main bar. The brewhouse coffee stout was good but so cold! I picked up some peruvian morning and bb barleywine, but those are shelf beers for me, anyway. Here's to next year! Cheers.

39. Diotima

Diotima Jan 9, 2013 Wisconsin

The highlight for me was seeing someone walking around with a box that had the infamous pink bomber sticking out. For comedy's sake I hope he traded a 15 for that.

40. Bay01

Bay01 Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

If nothing else this thread has given me a great new euphemism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!