Central Waters BBS

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Ri0, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Ri0

Ri0 Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

And the wait begins...:D

Drew26 and psychotia like this.
  2. psychotia

psychotia Jun 27, 2009 Minnesota

Put me down for a couple cases!

3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Solid brew...but with BCBS being so available this year, I personally do not feel the need for multiple four packs, like in previous years.

pschul4 likes this.
  4. founder26

founder26 Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

and lets not forget BBpt5th!

5. MarcatGSB

We already have to put up with those line cutters from Chicago, do we really need the Wisconites taking the ferry across?

founder26 likes this.
  6. ppohio

ppohio Aug 5, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is this something that is relatively available in Chicago?

7. mobius387

mobius387 Dec 5, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

not for me. BBS is half the price of BCBS and drinks almost as well. in some circumstances, i like it better since its more drinkable. that, and it holds up very well. i will be buying my regular case and more if i need some extra for trades.

8. Darwensi

Darwensi Sep 7, 2007 District of Columbia

any word on BBBW?

Atlas1977 and da_bulls like this.
  9. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

It's half the price because its half as good and half as flavorful. Ill get a 4 pack, it's a decent brew but let's not say crazy things.

JPortillo, dman5400, ajzy and 3 others like this.
  10. mdmusch

mdmusch May 5, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Yeah I enjoy this beer just as much as BCBS with all things considered. You have to wonder though when they'll start raising their prices on brews such as this. With the explosion of craft beer craziness I could see these packs get a $2 to $3 hike.... Even with that its still cheaper than most.

11. mobius387

mobius387 Dec 5, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

crazy things like saying half as good? so by that logic, it deserves a 2.2 rating on BA huh...

or, we could just agree to disagree and decide not to pick fights with people who have different opinions???

tourdot, burica2020 and Drew26 like this.
  12. Bay01

Bay01 Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

This, although I had a 2011 last week and I thought it had improved a bit from fresh.

13. Drew26

Drew26 Nov 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

BBBW hit in late Jan./early Feb. last year.

Darwensi and da_bulls like this.
  14. Ri0

Beer Trader

Meh, don't let the BCBS fanboys get to you. More for you and I to enjoy.

15. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

Sorry, I saw the packers logo and my eyes filled with rage. Agree to disagree but central waters isn't as strong though, it's 9.5% vs 15% so there's a reason it's cheaper if you simply look at the malt bill.

jebsinger, nicnut45 and mobius387 like this.
  16. averagejake872

averagejake872 Apr 19, 2011 Illinois

I am openly a BCBS fanboy. That being said, I really enjoy CW's BBS and BBBW. Really looking forward to them both to be released again this year.

Cheers!

17. BakeBisBife

BakeBisBife Mar 15, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Something about the avatar and precise response make this extremely credible.

18. incutrav

incutrav Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

Love the 4pks from CW-hopefully Peruvian turns out better this year. Impossible to beat the 10.99 price tag on all , and they are readily available too- at least in MN.

71gto likes this.
  19. harrylee773

harrylee773 Aug 8, 2010 Illinois

No idea how available it's been traditionally, but I found it by accident in a 7-11 that carries very little craft beer last year, and was able to get multiple 4 packs of it.

20. Drew26

Drew26 Nov 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

LOL! ok, so I might be a bit of a fan of it... :rolleyes:

gpawned, Mscarpen and nickapalooza86 like this.
  21. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Central Waters has the most under-rated barrel program in the country.

I love to have BBS sitting around as an alternative to some of the big, huge bruisers (like BCS). BBBW is one of my top 3 beers to age, absolutely love it.

Can't wait until the Anniversary Party!

22. Mjmoser

Mjmoser May 6, 2012 Illinois

I like BBS, but it can't compare to BCS. That shouldn't be taken as a knock on CW, but BCS is the bar that has been set for amazing bourbon barrel stouts. Nothing truly compares, IMHO.

It will be good to have to fill the cravings, but it can't replace what is world class.

Finatic and tinypyramids like this.
  23. misterid

misterid Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

every year at the Anniv party i believe. which is the week before the Super Bowl.

24. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Yes. I saw it on shelves for a couple of months last year. Now the BBBW is a different story.

25. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin

My all time favorite Big Beer

Drew26 and Ri0 like this.
  26. atone315

atone315 Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Y2K (non -bal barely wine) generally gets released with BBS, right around the next few weeks....CW BBBW and Peruvian Morning get released late Jan/ Early Feb as has been mentioned already....

27. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Cant wait to try it

28. BYOFB

BYOFB Dec 11, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I'm still sore over the fact that Peruvian Morning went sour...

29. Ri0

Beer Trader

Does that mean you won't be buying any BBS?

30. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Funny. That's one of my wife's top 10 beers, & she hasn't noticed the souring yet. Down to a few bottles, so at least they didn't go to waste!

31. stayclean

stayclean Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

She, or you, or both, or WHATEVER, should consider herself/yourselves/WHATEVER lucky.

maximum12 likes this.
  32. lurpy1

lurpy1 Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Who cares if this is as good as BCBS? Its still a good beer, easy to get, price point is great. Fill er up!

33. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Dec 13, 2008 Illinois

Love this northern WI brewery and curious about this beer.

beergurujr likes this.
  34. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Apr 2, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

It's not BCS, but what is, right? Their BB Stout, BB Barleywine, and Peruvian Morning (most years) are simply amazing. Props to Satin Solstice and Le Petite Mort as well!

35. MarcatGSB

I'm sorry about what I started. It's a great beer, I do enjoy it very much. Didn't mean to dis CW or this beer, I think they are both great. Peruvian Morning is an amazing brew, one of my favs, and BBBW is right there as well. Bourbon Barrel La Petite Mort, my god. Awesome.

stayclean likes this.
  36. BYOFB

BYOFB Dec 11, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Not at all! I'll be buying plenty of BBS. The 2011 is drinking great right now.

37. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

It seems like every time someone starts talking about a BA stout release from a brewery BCBS comes up. Some people are sorta dicks about it too. "Oh well (blank) is good but it's not bourbon county". "I will take one 1 case please". When did we decide every BA beer has to be BCBS clone?

skawars1 and chanokokoro like this.
  38. FrankenBrew

FrankenBrew Sep 21, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I love CW BBS so much! Can't wait!

39. Ri0

Beer Trader

It is Sunday and I am really, really ready to seek this out in a couple of days. I've never had it.
    I've never had BCBS either, but I have one 2012 bottle waiting for me that I am going to drink on Xmas.

40. JmH

JmH Jun 6, 2012 Illinois

anyone know how long they age this for? also, what kind of barrels do they typically use?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe