Central Waters Releases and Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by WI-Beer-Man, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just_in

just_in Initiate (187) Apr 24, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

I look forward to comparing with one from 2014.

2. Barrelagedbatman

Barrelagedbatman Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Wisconsin

I don't really see people worshiping it but that's an opinion. Secondly it hasn't been around long enough to know whether it's enduring. Cult status is usually labeled many years after the fact, it's just been in the last couple of years it's happened in our society that whenever something gets popular quickly that started with a small fan base it's called, "cult status" because people are trying to be sensationalist. I can't speak for the people at CW but I don't think they'd really appreciate that term being used.
    I'm guessing you didn't use the first google return because it didn't fit what you were trying to say because:

"A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a work of culture. A film, book, musical artist, television series or video game, among other things, will be said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fanbase." -wikipedia. The rest of the quote is even better really.

While I would have agreed with that assessment several years ago. At this point I would call it GENERAL POPULARITY. It's really tiring when people throw around the words, "cult status" so loosely. It's a misappropriation of the term. It may feel like cult status to you but it's just a hobby to a lot of people I know. People who would easily call that Cult status might also call a large cheese burger EPIC! It's hammfisted and generally wrong. I don't really see people calming waiting in line twice a year for a beer as crazy devotional. That or someone has changed the definition of devotion behind my back. I can't stop you from calling it that if you want it just sounds ridiculously silly in this context. But the whole beer "game" has gotten pretty out of context at this point.

Bshaw22 likes this.
  3. atone315

atone315 Champion (893) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

Well, someone has some thin skin...

Back on topic, BBBW is just about perfect this year with just the right amount of heat. And Eighteen? DAMN. I only have a couple bottles left, I better chill on drinking these!!!

HighWine and jRocco2021 like this.
  4. macewank

macewank Initiate (189) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

@Barrelagedbatman I don't want to drag on what's ultimately a semantics argument, but wanted to reply since you specifically called out my definition of cult status... For what it's worth, your definition of cult still seems pretty accurate. I would not feel "wrong" saying that Central Waters' barrel program has, to quote, "a small but very passionate fanbase". Myself? I drive 4 hours (each way) to buy these bottles, and specific to CW18 lined up 2 hours before the event started (and was still about 150 people deep) just so I could get a sip of Cassian Sunset. If that's not passion/devotion, I'm not sure what constitutes proper use of the term.

And yeah @atone315 .. Gotta sit on some of it! I'm down to 6 myself (gave 2 to a friend) but planning to hold at least 4 back for side by side's with the remaining 17's I have in the cellar.

atone315 likes this.
  5. kkleu357

kkleu357 Crusader (784) Apr 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

6. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Zealot (500) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin

7. kkleu357

kkleu357 Crusader (784) Apr 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Sorry, tap menu in general. Maybe this has been a thing for a while, but I didn't know about it.

8. BSiegs

BSiegs Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

Chicago BAs, just stumbled upon BBBW at Binny's Grand today. The shelf was still full, not sure if they had more in the back.

Pretty excited because I wasn't expecting to find any!

dtjager likes this.
  9. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It seems like all the major shops got it this week finally. I got mine at Binny's Lakeview yesterday - they had it in back, so you had to ask for it.

10. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

Just thought I'd throw this out there. In early February did a CW anniversary vertical 16, 17, and 18 with my dad and brother, our verdict? 18>16>17. 16 has fallen off a bit not a whole lot but, enough to give the edge to 18 (besides black gold 16 & 18 are the highlights of the series in my experience). 17 is my least favorite of all the Anniversary beers, but that's just me, of which I've tried them all. I still have a full vertical 1414-18 I'll have to drink at some point not sure when yet but I'm thinking I better do it soon lol.

#1890 jRocco2021, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  11. MilwaukeeBeerMaker

MilwaukeeBeerMaker Zealot (546) Jun 30, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

The weekend after CW18 a small group of us did the anniversary series (1414 to 18) and BG series (b1, b2, b3). It varied from person to person, but my personal ranking was 15>18>16>14>17; I totally agree about 16. It used to be my favorite but it seems like it has fallen off; didn't seem as fudgey as before. The whole vertical is a fun treat, enjoy!

jRocco2021 and sonoma01 like this.
  12. just_in

Trader

13. MilwaukeeBeerMaker

MilwaukeeBeerMaker Zealot (546) Jun 30, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

No competition; B1>B2>B3. I think in time that B2 and B3 will be just as good as B1 but age has definitely treated that beer very kindly.

14. bwelch21

bwelch21 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Wisconsin

CW just announced that HHG APA 6-packs will be start distribution in WI this week and out of state soon. On my phone so the best I can do is the link below.

Https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1251300238231216

NotHereForGold likes this.
  15. beermanben

beermanben Disciple (343) Jan 23, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

16. BasterdInABasket

BasterdInABasket Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 Wisconsin

Year round too?? Between this and Summarilo I could get by solely on CW this summer

kkleu357 likes this.
  17. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Picked up sixers of Illumination and HHG today at Discount.

The real exciting thing though is that the wife and I have been trying to figure out where to go for her birthday dinner in a few wks. Our son gave us a gift card at xmas for the American Club. LO and behold they are advertising a CW bourbon barrel dinner on their website for 3-15. There are no details per se and CW has nothing on their site but we made reservations today. They ran a similar thing a few yrs back w Three Sheeps and it was very good.

djhowell likes this.
  18. mseitz24

mseitz24 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin

I picked up a couple bottles of catastrophe ale today. The guy at the store said they had just gotten it so it's been sitting somewhere for a while.

19. KBS

KBS Disciple (325) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Rye Barrel Chocolate Porter out yet?

20. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (75) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Picked up some HHG in Madison, I thought it was very good. An excellent addition to the year-round lineup.

Also I have to say: I know Slainte isn't really a "sleeper" since it has pretty good ratings (esp. for scottish ales, which for some reason are not favored on this site)--but I think it's an overlooked gem. Every time I have it, I think "damn this is great, I need more of this." Unfortunately I did not load up a couple months ago. Oh well, gives me reason to look forward to next winter

21. Bdavie

Bdavie Initiate (107) Jul 25, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Does anyone have any details on Cassian and the Cherry BB Stout yet..... In terms of actual releases? Aside from "April"? Just wanna be prepared to get as much as I can. I'm really looking forward to them.

22. Birdrinker

Birdrinker Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Colorado

HOARD HOARD HOARD!!!!

Josholson666 and NotHereForGold like this.
  23. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Had my first HHG of 2016 and it was even better than I remembered it from 2015. What a great APA to have in WI.

24. psweendogg

psweendogg Savant (905) Jun 30, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

On my way to Central Waters right now from Toppling Goliath... beer me!

25. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,874) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

A few comments
    • CW needs to get a new date coder for their bottles. Maybe one bottle out of a sixer is legible, which I suppose in some respects might be sufficient?
    • Picked up a sixer of Illumination in WI this weekend. IL probably will not see it for another couple weeks. Something really wrong with CW distro to IL as it seems extraordinarily slow i.e., we'll get a release weeks after WI is flush with it. Hello, we're the state below you :wink:
    • Illumination tastes as great as ever. One of my favorite DIPAs. If you enjoy a piney hop punch to the face, this beer has it in spades. So good. I just wish it was available more often.

kkleu357 likes this.
  26. scream

IMO HHG is beating Illumination-no contest

27. Jaycase

Society Trader

One is a 5.3% APA and one is a 9% DIPA. Not sure there is intended to be any competition there.

egrace84 likes this.
  28. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,032) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

I was told that about a year ago that the slow Chicago thing isn't accidental. It won't come as a surprise that the Chicago distributor isn't easy to work with, and they will often try and order truckloads of BB Stout or the other special releases (that sell themselves), but then won't take much of the regular line of beers and don't push stores to stock Central waters prominently.

At least around me, most of the Binnys have Central Waters on the bottom or second bottom shelf toward the back of an isle, and usually only stock about three of the year round beers, not the full line. Not great placement to get casual purchasers to pick up a 6 pack and try their beers. The distributor rep is the one supposed to be pushing stores to stock the full line, talk it up to customers and display prominently.

I was told that Central Waters doesn't get enough love, so they basically let Wisconsin make two rounds of orders for all the special releases (first release, then a re-stock) before they let the Chicago rep take the rest. They get much more love from Wisconsin on their year round beers, so they make sure Wisconsin is awash in their special releases. That is why we now get stuff late, and in really small quantities compared to years past. Could all be utterly made up, but that is what I was told by a buddy who was a buyer at Binnys.

29. Jaycase

Society Trader

Interesting. Certainly lines up with what is seeming to take place around here re: CW. Thanks for the info.

pagriley likes this.
  30. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,032) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

Well, you know how beer rumors go - could be utterly made up, but it makes a certain amount of sense.

31. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Initiate (171) Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

This lines up with what I see downstate Illinois as well......a few stores down here carry the full line and it is given great shelf placement. Lo and behold....8 cases of bourbon barleywine dropped two weeks ago. I don't think I saw 8 cases of that barleywine total during the years I lived in Chicago.

pagriley likes this.
  32. Ri0

Society

Hello, anyone out there? I NEED this beer!

SourAddict, Wiscobeers and PseudoBen like this.
  33. RyanFindlay

RyanFindlay Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2007 Wisconsin

Yes. Soon.

Yohann, jnich2424, Al_Fresco and 2 others like this.
  34. wisconsinbeer1

wisconsinbeer1 Aspirant (224) Nov 11, 2004 Wisconsin
    Trader

Soon. The worst four letter word in the beer industry.

35. scream

better than never !

36. just_in

Trader

I believe you meant nevr.

Duff27 and dtjager like this.
  37. Swannyku

Swannyku Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin

Has anyone seen 6 packs of HHG in the north Milwaukee suburbs? I can't find it anywhere.

38. Al_Fresco

Al_Fresco Initiate (54) Mar 15, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

It's sold out most places, although one of the guys at Ray's told me they expected more this week.

39. Swannyku

Swannyku Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin

Thanks for the info. It's been driving me crazy, I could not figure out if the stores just didn't get any in or if they were really going that fast.

40. Ri0

Society

I must say that I prefer HHG over Sue after having both back to back. Unless it is the original Sue brewed in IA, that stuff was fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.