Central Waters Releases and Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by WI-Beer-Man, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue-dream

blue-dream Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Imma go with no on that one.

2. Barrelagedbatman

Barrelagedbatman Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Wisconsin

So it's cheaper to store Rye barrels?

3. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Zealot (500) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin

Depends on the vintage, I guess...

4. cl3

cl3 Disciple (339) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Rye. Only 3 letters. Doesn't take up as much space.:wink:

fondyball20, JJ_17, sembo and 8 others like this.
  5. mpm262

mpm262 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2012 Wisconsin

Just got here and the line is about 150 deep, if you are heading here from Illinois I would turn back now :slight_smile:

WI-Beer-Man likes this.
  6. MilwaukeeNintendo

MilwaukeeNintendo Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Wisconsin

I got here an hour ago. The line is as long/longer than the 19 anniversary

7. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,746) Apr 23, 2012 Netherlands Antilles
    Society Trader

8. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (156) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

Good, get all the hypsters out of the way so us casuals can just pop in and grab some bottles tomorrow. :slight_smile:

bound4er, sonoma01 and WI-Beer-Man like this.
  9. mpm262

There were really only 75-100 people in line by the time they opened at 3pm. There was plenty for everyone who arrived by the time I left around 5pm. They were being sneaky however with how much was left. Every time I checked the distribution table the pallet was only stacked one case high and they would replenish that first level. They also would not tell anyone how much they had.

Someone who is there later into the night can probably give a better report on status for tomorrow.

10. just_in

just_in Initiate (187) Apr 24, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Did anyone ask if the Rye on tap was the same as the bottles?

11. stone4789

stone4789 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Had plenty left when I left around 5:30. Just kicked on tap before 8 apparently.

12. KBS

KBS Disciple (325) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

So, how does it taste?

13. stone4789

stone4789 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Reminded me of Ryeway To Heaven but not as thick. Awesome, but not like it's Black Gold or anything.

KBS likes this.
  14. Rydro17

Rydro17 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio

Rye sold out per facebook

15. mpm262

IMO based on CW beer I have had ...

BG > Anniversary > Rye Stout > Cassian > Rye Chocolate Porter > BA BW > BA Stout > BA Scotch > BA Cherry... but all are great.

Duncan83, Dehnc2, KBS and 1 other person like this.
  16. JJ_17

JJ_17 Aspirant (206) Apr 22, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

I thought it was very well balanced. It was drinking great fresh. Mouth feel was there but not a huge stout (not that it needed to be). I prefer Rye barrel to bourbon Barrel beers and this was everything you would expect. Personally enjoyed!

Duncan83 and KBS like this.
  17. Foxman27

Foxman27 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2015 Iowa

Rye is gone. Sorry to the tomorrow people.

18. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

19. RyanFindlay

RyanFindlay Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2007 Wisconsin

My apologies, I missed the "store" part. However, that leads me to ask, why would you think it would cost more to store different types of barrels?

20. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I feel like you're both (unknowingly) messing with my head. For someone who knows nothing about all this (and doesn't have Ardea or Rye Stout), why would one stout aged for 3 years cost so much more than another stout aged for 3 years? Is it the base stout being different? Is it the type of barrels? Is it the vintage of barrels? Is it a combination of them all? Am I dumb for wondering all this?

I also don't expect CW to specifically give an answer to this, as all businesses have proprietary information, but since it's been brought up, I figured I would pose the above questions.

fondyball20 likes this.
  21. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (170) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think what he was getting at was that since the rye stout barrels sat for 3 years they were taking up space that could have been turned around 3 times over for things like Brewer's Reserve releases. Hence a potentially higher price due to the 'real estate' they were using up.

scream likes this.
  22. just_in

Trader

I'm sure bottle count has something to do with it.

23. croush

Trader

I'll ask another semi (or fully) ignorant question...would bottle count really be the reason for the large price gap? Again, I'm not saying either one is priced over/under where it should be (whatever that even means). I'm just wondering.

24. just_in

Trader

Would? Most of the time.
    Should? Dunno.

I try not to overthink it and just enjoy the beer.

25. KBS

KBS Disciple (325) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

20 year old Bourbon barrels are definitely more expensive than fresher bourbon and probably even more so than Rye. Enough for that price difference, seriously doubt it. The only other thing could be serious loss on the Ardea which was made up in the price.

I was glad to see the price of the Rye Stout, CW has always been on the fairer side of the price range with all their beer with one exception and I'm sure you could argue both sides of that one. Glad they did no ticket and allowed for more locals get it too.

Drew26 and JJ_17 like this.
  26. RyanFindlay

RyanFindlay Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2007 Wisconsin

Combination.

The base beer for Rye Barrel Stout is a much less expensive beer to brew than Ardea. It was also aged in much less expensive and more easily accessible barrels.

stevegoz, Dehnc2, sonoma01 and 4 others like this.
  27. croush

Trader

I appreciate your answer. As I said, I didn't expect CW (or you as a rep) to need to answer and provide that kind of detail. I have neither of the beers, but am sure they are tasty based on other CW BA beers, so it's interesting to hear your insider knowledge.

28. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,324) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Trader

Can't believe it's gone already. I wonder how many mules people brought.

29. ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin Initiate (0) May 8, 2011 Wisconsin

I think at the end of it the price difference is due to supply, demand and marketing. While I'm sure there are some differences in base beer costs and the cost of the barrels, I have no doubt that CW could have marketed this as a much bigger deal, charged $30/bottle with a limit of 2 and sold out over the weekend. With the way the market is right now, people are paying incredible sums for "rare" (pun intended) beers.

The supply of world class barrel aged stouts (or NE IPAs or Sours) hasn't met the market demand. And even if supply has met the market, it takes time for a reputation to be built. Breweries like CW or TG can charge as much as they want for one off beers and people will pay for them. One of my favorite beers I had last year was Four Fathers Barrel Aged Wheelhouse. I didn't stand in any line for it, I walked into a random liquor store, thought it sounded interesting and bought it. Slap a different label on it, charge 2x the price and it's untappd score is .2 higher. People want whales. There is a self fulfilling prophecy that goes along with it. When a brewery gets into the club, they can charge $200 for 3 beers and a wooden box. And the price doesn't even come close to eclipsing the demand when the markup on the secondary market is 10x that.

My theory (hope) is that CW was using this release as a beta to assess doing more brewery only releases. They can cut out distribution costs, as well as distributor and retail markup. It's a more efficient and cost effective means of getting their beers into the consumers hands. If they distributed this beer, those who purchased it likely would have been paying $15-$20/bottle. There aren't too many breweries out there selling 3 year aged barrel aged stouts for $10. I applaud CW for that because they could have charged a lot more. They'll hopefully work out some kinks for those of us who work 9-5s have a chance to buy some next time. Maybe half released Friday half released Saturday with a lower limit?

30. Neverdie7

I didn't get any either. I think they should just stick to the 2 bottle limit so more people can get some. I heard some people were walking out with 12+ bottles last night. Thanks for screwing the rest of us whoever you are.

31. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,324) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Trader

Yes that is correct. One guy on Facebook said his friend doesn't drink beer so he bought his six. What is frustrating is I live locally to CW. But of course I work on Friday and just shortly after I finish work it was sold out. So living in close proximity of the brewery means nothing.

32. Neverdie7

Same here man, 12 miles away but I work out of town so I planned to go out there today at noon, but oh well. Maybe next time. Disappointing.

33. Vitacca

Vitacca Zealot (560) Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Trader

Is the Rye Barrel Stout the same as the one on tap at the 17 anniversary party?

34. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Zealot (500) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin

Wow.

fondyball20 and FBarber like this.
  35. flat_lander

flat_lander Meyvn (1,000) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Yeah, and those same people are probably the ones closing trades on ISO:FT of 6 Rye Stouts for 1 VR. I don't live anywhere near CW, but I'm a big fan and feel bad for local folks missing out on a release like this. Bummer.

JMN44 likes this.
  36. bmony26

bmony26 Initiate (123) May 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

They posted what time it went on sale and with the popularity of their Barrel aged beers I showed up 30 minutes early and got had no problems getting my limit of bottles. Knowing the popularity of their barrel aged beers you take a risk of not getting any the later you show up. No matter the limits they set their will be people that miss out and complain. I would show up earlier next time they do a release like this to increase your odds of getting the beer.

37. fondyball20

fondyball20 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin

Showing up earlier and earlier for each release really isn't an ideal solution. It just shifts the problem.

The op made a good point. 6pp seemed high when it was first announced and obviously that was reinforced by the fact it sold out in 4-5 hours. Lowering the limit allows more people to get bottles. I can only guess that CW didn't want the bottle sale to get drawn out over multiple days.

I'm all for this type of release over an online lottery. 1000x better

38. bmony26

bmony26 Initiate (123) May 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

I dislike the online lottery. Having releases like they did on Friday I can control my chances of getting the beer based on how early I want to get there. A lottery it's all chance and I have no control. Get there earlier if you want a better chance to buy the beer...problem solved.

39. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (75) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Not trying to be a smart-ass here, but... I would think most of us here are aware that showing up earlier would increase our odds of getting the beer.

40. just_in

Trader

I just read a future article from the year 2023 that mentioned camping out for no less than 2 weeks for all CW beer releases and they quoted this exact post as the reason things had gotten so out of hand.

Also, from the looks of things in the picture they posted, neckbeards have also gotten worse... even the women sport them. :slight_frown:

cl3 and NNN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.