Central Waters Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by WI-Beer-Man, Nov 18, 2014.

1. atone315

atone315 Savant (933) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

1414 and 15 were one batch of beer, split in half. CW was still relatively flying under radar for 14th party....until everyone tried 1414. Then they blew up, creating problems for the 15th. 16 has been in abundance, I'm sure they over compensated after 15th party. Maybe this year will be just right?

2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (351) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I knew 1414 and 15 where related but CW clearly didn't know what they where getting themselves into and how could you predict that if you brew a brand new beer two years in advance for an event you've never done before. The problems stem from our end really, not CW's. They do their best I think to strike a balance between what's reasonable for them to do and what we expect but that's not easy especially with craft beer "enthusiasts".

funhog likes this.
  3. atone315

atone315 Savant (933) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I agree. Maybe that explains why tickets (allocations) are already sold out? It might not be an indicator of total bottles at all.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  4. jRocco2021

Beer Trader

We can only hope.

5. AstraXtreme

AstraXtreme Initiate (188) Mar 21, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

There's really no reason why they wouldn't brew just as much 17 as 16, or maybe even more. It gave people a good reason to make the trip to the brewery to hang out and pick up some bottles. I did that a few times this year, whereas I may not have if I wasn't able to get 16. That beer really gained them a massive amount of momentum this year.

Having a world-class brewery-only beer available all year will be a huge money-maker for them. I think it would be a terrible business decision to scale it back.

PseudoBen, funhog and RyanFindlay like this.
  6. JulianC

JulianC Aspirant (203) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yeah I'm not saying they made less 17 than 16, just with their new space they were able to sell enough allocations/tickets to sell out of 17 at the event, because of excessive nerdery that has grown exponentially this year.

Again, only my speculation, but after seeing the Goose release this year grow by what I think is 6-8x in demand, I wouldn't be surprised.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  7. jRocco2021

Beer Trader

I was at LP Binnys I got there between 2 and 3 am same as last year. In 2013 I was #12 this year I was #186 so 15 times as many people where there before me.

We'll just have to wait until January and see what CW has in store for us.

Duff27 and JulianC like this.
  8. Engy

Engy Initiate (110) Aug 12, 2014 Minnesota

Does CW only sell bottles on Saturdays and Sundays when the taproom is open? I'll be making my way from the Twin Cities to Menasha for Christmas and would love to pick up some 16.

9. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Defender (649) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Yes, you can only buy stuff from them when they're open. They don't have a separate bottle sales store that abides by different hours.

10. Vinithing

Vinithing Disciple (366) Feb 21, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I would call or email them. I had the same question and they said I could stop in pretty much anytime to get bottles to go. They were very helpful.

11. Mitchell57

Mitchell57 Disciple (328) Jan 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Subscriber Beer Trader

My response wasn't at all the same though unfortunately. I emailed back and forth with someone once or twice and got no indication of flexibility in regard to that. They are open when they're open and that was it for me....

12. jRocco2021

Beer Trader

CW makes most of their money (like many breweries) on their 6 pack offerings and rotating seasonals. The anniversary beers are a labor of love more than a business decision. It generates buzz and all that which may increase business but a lot of people still don't drink BA imperial stouts. So while it might make business sense from your perspective, it might not necessarily from theirs. Sourcing barrels and the added steps in brewing come with a lot of risk. It's a huge investment up front that also occupies a lot of equipment and space that could be used for other things that might make them more money. What I'm getting at is that if they made less for some reason I doubt it was a pour business decision.

#92 jRocco2021, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    Ri0 and kodt like this.
  13. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Aspirant (270) Jul 12, 2012 Utah
    Beer Trader

When do they typically announce what the beer actually is? I know it'll be a stout but I mean the stats like how long it was barrel aged, etc.

14. mykey120

mykey120 Initiate (188) Aug 13, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

According to CW facebook post,

"The Beer - 17 - and it's details...
    Once again, we will be selling a limited amount of an anniversary beer, this year called 17. This beer is a blend of different barrel aged stouts, with a mixture of bourbon barrels ranging in age from 12 years old to 25 years old!"

imfrommichigan likes this.
  15. Engy

Engy Initiate (110) Aug 12, 2014 Minnesota

So it seems like experiences have differed. Looks like I'll be reaching out to CW to see what the deal is when I'm headed that way. Thanks!

funhog likes this.
  16. Mitchell57

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah, I mean if you can get there when they are open, perfect. If not, maybe there will be some flexibility, but nothing guaranteed.

17. BigBadBeerSnob

BigBadBeerSnob Aspirant (256) Jul 31, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Not sure if everyone is taken care of, but if anyone needs a proxy for the event, myself and the 2 people i'm going with would be able to help you out. Message me if you need someone.

Also, I'm staying at the Econolodge in Stevens Point, so if anyone wants to get a bottle share going the night before/after the event, hit me up too.

ThreeTens likes this.
  18. KBS

KBS Disciple (319) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Emailed them today and they said you could purchase bottles to go Mon-Thurs from 8am-4pm and Friday from 7am-10pm

doublevision likes this.
  19. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (168) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have stopped there a couple times during the week. They have a big cooler loaded with beers togo. Last time I was there in November the cooler had at least 60 bottles of 16 in it.

20. KBS

Beer Trader

They said they have a "limited supply" of 16 left. Going there on December 26th to try to get some so hope they don't sell out before then for Christmas presents. Not sure what "limited" means.

21. mykey120

mykey120 Initiate (188) Aug 13, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

It means they only have so much of it and they cannot guarantee you it will be around when you are there.

22. robear

robear Defender (676) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

If it helps, they've had a limited supply for about a year now. :wink:

elkabong likes this.
  23. Mitchell57

Subscriber Beer Trader

That was the response prior to the Black Gold party...not sure if the limits are still 6 or 8, but it has to go sometime. It still could be a bit though.

24. KBS

Beer Trader

That makes me feel better. If it's not sold out by the Anny party, I'm sure it will be on that day. Will get my allotment next week if still available. Can't wait to try it, hope it's as good as everyone says.

25. iong516

iong516 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Pennsylvania

Umm, if there's still a lot of 16 floating around... ISO? Had no idea.

26. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,064) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Check out the ISO:FT forum. Probably can get an ISO there. Cool stuff happening there. Good luck.

27. iong516

That forum frightens me. Perhaps I will make my first successful BA trade..

Mitchell57 and Jaycase like this.
  28. wisconsinbeer1

wisconsinbeer1 Aspirant (207) Nov 11, 2004 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Let me help you out. Copy and paste this- FT- Cigar City, ISO- CW 16

TastyDelicousness likes this.
  29. iong516

Taken care of, thanks!

...oh and they have 'like 20' left according to an employee

30. KBS

Beer Trader

Oh no, sounds like I'm going to be SOL on the 26th when I go. That sucks!

31. KBS

Beer Trader

Confirmed...they sold the last bottle of 16 this past weekend. Looks like I am only picking up the BBA stout. Sucks! Looks like I will try to get 17 a lot earlier in the year.

32. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,408) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Hmmm... New bottle filler? Will this mean fewer bombers? :slight_smile:
    [​IMG]

33. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Devotee (465) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

6 bomber releases for 2015 says a reliable source...

Duff27 and hey5hitgoose like this.
  34. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,408) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Do you know how many there were in 2014? I'm not sure if 6 is more or less. :flushed:

35. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Wisconsin

LIMITED:
    Sixteen
    Black Gold 2014
    River Run (which I think is psy-mon sez or something like that now)
    Chocolate Rye Porter

DISTRO:
    Le Petit Mort
    Y2K Barleywine
    Headless Heron

can't remember if Brewhouse Coffee Stout came out in 2014

perhaps more?

36. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Devotee (465) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I should have clarified...6 planned for distro in 2015.

Not sure exactly how many were in 2014, but I think the list above is accurate and I thought Brewhouse Coffee was early 2014.

37. Mitchell57

Subscriber Beer Trader

I don't recall ever seeing brewhouse coffee on the shelves. Last time I had it was summer/fall of 2013. It was around for awhile then

Duff27 likes this.
  38. Wiscobeers

Wiscobeers Initiate (146) Jan 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure the two bottles I have are from early 14 but will need to confirm when I get back home.

39. Drew26

Drew26 Aspirant (215) Nov 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Dont think we saw brewhouse in 2014

Mitchell57 likes this.
  40. keehankevin

keehankevin Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

My wife just surprised me for Xmas and got me a ticket for the shuttle leaving from Madison. Anyone that has done this in the past please bm me as I have questions. Just want to get a feel for how the day plays out. Thanks. Look forward to seeing you all.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.