Cheapest bulk grain

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PeprSprYoFace, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeprSprYoFace

PeprSprYoFace Savant (938) Feb 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Ive been checking around the various well known online homebrew shops and it seems like its cheaper to buy grain by the pound then by the 50lb sack because it costs $45 to ship it. I just bought a barley crusher so I'm lookin for some sacks of grain to save money on my brews. Where do you guys get your grain? I'm sure getting it from my homebrew shop would be a little cheaper than an online spot because of the shipping but my local spot sells them for about $55 which is only a few cents a lb cheaper.

2. suprchunk

suprchunk Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2012

If you can get in on a group buy from North Country Malt, that would be about the cheapest. They used to sell to homebrewers, but no longer do. Ever since that happened it seems the price for bags got jacked up significantly. I used to buy from AHS for just a couple bucks more than NCM, but their bag prices are up around 60-70 dollars now. Not sure how far you are from More Beer, but they seem to be decent. If you go and pick up a bunch at a time it would probably be more beneficial than having it shipped. Of course the better prices are on domestic malts.

3. inflatablechair

inflatablechair Aspirant (245) Dec 31, 2003 Idaho

Maybe talk to a local brewpub owner/brewer? It seems reasonable that they could easily add an extra bag or two to their order.

4. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Disciple (339) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

In a previous life, I would routinely by 50# of grain by the pound from various online shops. These came with free or flat rate shipping. The would invariably ship a 50# bag. The price was significantly cheaper than the 50# bag shipped, but by no means cheap. My LHBS sells domestic 2-row $45. Cheap enough for me, especially when you include the samples of store brewed beer and the conversation that comes with it.

5. Agold

Agold Defender (635) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

Trying that, it seems like it is much much more expensive. The markup for buying in smaller quantities is much higher than shipping. Unless they would send you a 50# bag, change the price, and not charge you the extra shipping?

@OP Just buy it at your LHBS or a local brewery who is willing to sell you grain. Or buy in bulk with a homebrew club or something like that.

6. ryane

ryane Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2007 Washington

7. cracker

cracker Disciple (306) May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

Shipping nails you. Your best bet is to buy at your LHBS (hopefully yours is half decent). Although you pay slightly more than some online places, you don't pay the crazy shipping costs which can be $20-$30 a bag.

8. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Cracker666 likes this.
  9. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (2,059) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Society

North County Malt Group still sells to homebrew clubs that were "grandfathered in" prior to the policy change. If you have a local homebrew club in your area you should join regardless, but ask if they do group buys. My club recently did a group buy and I paid $33 shipped for a 55# sack of Canadian 2 Row.....

10. bum732

bum732 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2008 Lesotho

11. ororke5000

ororke5000 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Ohio

if you have a local brewery around or have any friends that work in one it might not hurt to ask if you could buy some from them. they might say no, but they might say yes. worth a shot.

12. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (749) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/products/Rahr-2%2dRow.html

If you have a grain mill and can't/won't collaborate on a group buy , then this seems to be reasonable (if they aren't out of stock) if you aren't buying enough other stuff to get free shipping from other on-line retailers...their 1# Apollo hops are enticing also.

13. kjyost

kjyost Meyvn (1,223) May 4, 2008 Canada

I was going to point that out. Malteurop is $59 (I have to drive across the city to get this for $40 from the maltster), Fawcett MO is $76, Simpson's Golden Promise is $79 ($62 at Midwest)

14. PeprSprYoFace

Trader

Looks like im going to have to call up some breweries. The brew brothers sacks look like you can get them for about $50 a piece shipped so i might have to check them out.

15. beefbologna

beefbologna Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2009 California

go to more beer in riverside 36$ for a sack of 2-row

16. PeprSprYoFace

Trader

cool. next tim im in riverside visiting the rents i will do so. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.