Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Cheers to a true BA: Hoptologist

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by draheim, Aug 21, 2013.

1. draheim

Beer Trader

A few weeks ago, I posted this post, basically saying that I'd love to try Bell's Black Note someday but given my geographic location and the limited availability of this beer, I don't expect to get that chance anytime soon.

Well, generous Michigan BA Hoptologist voluntarily decided to rectify the situation. Last week, out of the blue, I received a message from him saying he was sending to both the OP of that thread and me a bottle of Black Note. I don't know Hoptologist and don't think I've ever had any forum exchanges with him before. Package is on its way and should arrive Friday.

So I just wanted to take a moment here to give a shout-out to Hoptologist, and thank him again for this kind and unexpected gesture. He only asked that at some point in the future I "beer it forward," which I'd already planned to do with some tasty Washington brews but now will try to redouble my efforts. I ask each of you to consider doing the same at some point. It's what this beer community is all about.

I'd also like to ask Hoptologist to submit a quick post in this thread so everyone can give credit where credit is due. If I do get him to post in here, please shoot him a "Like" for this act of generosity.

Cheers!

2. VegasBeerMan

Way cool.

As a side note, he'll be the only "optologist" of any kind that will get a "Like" from me.

Auslander and dedbeer like this.
  3. RBassSFHOPit2ME

Diamonds in the rough...

4. AlienSwineFlu

Beer Trader

There should be a sticky for recognizing generosity of BAs.

5. hopsputin

Cheers dude.

BA'n at its finest

6. Jules11788

That is awesome

7. sleuthdog

Beer Trader

This is what this community really should be all about. True generosity and helping each other out when possible.

xxcarpxx and smutty33 like this.
  8. calidelphia

Every once in a blue moon ( no pun intended), you get a glimpse of what this site should be like, sans drama. Nice to hear.

9. Hoptologist

Beer Trader

Wow, well thanks, draheim. I would like to encourage everyone to "beer it forward." This is a site about the love of beer and has made me appreciate beer more than I could have imagined. I hope everyone that reads this post thinks about "beering it forward" at some point. We are all advocates of great beer; I have been fortunate enough to try beers from across the country (thanks to this site), live in one of the finest beer states in the world and am happy to beer it forward when I can.

Man, that is some emotional beer talk (thanks to a kind advocate for sharing a few I've not had before tonight and to Larry Bell for delivering a 6'er of always great 2 hearted.)

Also, some recognition from a dude with an OSU icon is almost unfathomable for a MICHIGAN person, so thanks everyone.

10. MordorMongo

A 2012er pulling a 2008 up in this piece. Well done, sir.

cbeer88, tehzachatak and Lognar like this.
  11. claaark13

Beer Trader

Being the world's first hoptologist is better than being the world's first analrapist.

AnotherImperial and Bluecane like this.
  12. bman_85

Dope had done the same for me a while back. Since then I have been been fortunate enough to do the same in honor of his kindness. Keep up the sharing.... cheers

13. EvilAsh

Beer Trader

Nice work, this is awesome!

14. draheim

Beer Trader

Just a quick follow-up here. I received Hoptologist's package today, and not only did he send me Black Note; he sent me a bottle of Backwoods Bastard as an extra! This beer has also been on my Wants list for a long time.
    Thanks again brother! Beer karma will be good to you! Cheers!

[​IMG]

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe