Chester VT

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by BiffWoodentree, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BiffWoodentree

BiffWoodentree Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2013 Connecticut

Morning,

making a last minute trip to chester vt christmas evening for the weekend, leaving sunday. Wife and i are contemplating spending another night in vt somewhere. I know most of the breweries are going to be closed monday. Can you guys recommend bottle shops around the area of chester ? we wont have too much time to drive around on the weekend but we are looking for some local spots or bars we can get some good beer. I checked a bunch of the brewery sites hoping they might have some holiday hours and openings the following week but look to be out of luck there. Really wanted the wife to check out hfs and lost nation. anyways, thanks in advance!

2. ricknelson

ricknelson Devotee (445) Feb 20, 2010 Vermont

Right in Chester VT is a really great bottle shop Meditrina Wine & Cheese; great selection of beers.
    Also there is MacLaomainn’s Scottish Pub in Chester; good brews and great food.
    Along I-91 north you will pass Whetsone’s Brewey in Brattleboro, Harpoon Brewery in Windsor
    and you could swing over to Long Trail in Bridgewater, VT. In Woodstock, VT, check out
    Woodstock Hops & Barley; great beer store Tell Matt Rick sent you; also next door is the
    Worthy Kitchen; great beer and food.

3. cmurphycode

cmurphycode Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2010 Massachusetts

Meditrina Wine & Cheese is worth a stop. You're a little far south to get the Vermont big names. Foley Brothers should be easy to get, and Fair Maiden, Pieces of Eight, and Prospect are definitely worth having.

Stop in Moon Dog Cafe for food, I think it's a very charming shop and the food is good.

4. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Initiate (180) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Pizza Stone in Chester is a must stop IMHO. Great pizza and a decent tap list.

In Ludlow there is Brewfest Beverage, they have 3 or 4 taps for growler fills and a decent bottle selection.

5. Robert_OdinsveFarmVT

Robert_OdinsveFarmVT Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2015 Vermont

^Ditto regarding The Pizza Stone, beats MacLaomainn’s, hands down for beer selection and friendliness. After that, Harpoon Brewery in Windsor (exit 9 I-91N) for the requisite growler fills will fill out your weekend nicely, tell the 'tenders that the "Drinking Horn guy" sent you, heh. Then, heading back south, here's a convenience/beer store w/a great selection, it's run by a couple of Lebanese brothers, a no-name place..easy to get to tho, just hop off exit 3 S from I-91, follow Rt9 West (to NH, state line is right there at that point across to the river), cross the bridge and it's the *1st* lot on the R, next to the post office- less than a mile from I-91. Can set your GPS to the NH State Liquor Store in West Chesterfield (another 500ft past), just take the 1st R into the lot that you can, after crossing the bridge. For a nondescript packy it sure packs a wallop and actually is the best, selection-wise, beer store, closest to the MA line, off the highway.

Enjoy!

6. BiffWoodentree

BiffWoodentree Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2013 Connecticut

Thanks very much for the replys! I appreciate it.

We stayed about half a mile from the pizza stone so that was dinner Saturday night and everyone was pleased! Pizza was great , good tap list and pretty good band played and they were not too loud , just right.

Sat afternoon we stopped at meditrina as planned. she was pretty picked over but had a few ba biscotti breaks she was putting on the shelf. So I bought 2 of those and a bunch of lost nation cans so that was our drinks for Sat evening.

Lunch we had maclomains(?) That was the crowd pick, beer wasn't my thing but the food was so good. Then we hit up the local antique shops was over all a great trip and was happy to leave with some solid ipas and the biscotti.

Sunday wife and I stayed an extra night in bennington, not alot to do there but from Chester to bennington we had plenty of shops to stop at. Sunday night we pulled over to put in our hotel to the GPS and my wife looks over and says oh Madison brewing co. So we decided to go on a whim and boy were we surprised!!! Milk stout brats with maple butter were amazing. Their beer as well was delicious. Fresh cut with pine needles and maple ba porter was incredible. We stayed for a few, took a growleer of fresh cut to our hotel and finished The night.

I love vt , first time for my wife and she fell in love as well. The food the people the atmosphere...was perfect. Again thanks for the recommendations

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.