Chicago Beer Suggestions

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Bfairhurst74, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (151) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina

I am traveling to Chicago July 3-6. We are staying at the paper house in downtown. Any suggestions on bottle shops and beer bars? Special releases to look out for? Thanks

2. rarapacz

rarapacz Aspirant (231) Mar 2, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

3. Bfairhurst74

4. F2brewers

F2brewers Champion (820) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society Trader

5. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

My guess is that there won't be any special releases (or at least limited releases) available by time the holiday weekend rolls around. I don't know of any off the top of my head over the next couple weeks, but Pipeworks usually comes out with new beers every week that tend to have something interesting. This week has Spotted Puffer, but that will most likely all be gone by time you get into town. You could probably pull a trade off for some if you are interested, though.

6. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Going to guess you mean the Palmer house?

I would suggest setting up trades. Bring lots of goodies up with you, and you'll have no problem at all.

Take a cab to a Binnys and have at it. You will be kind of in the middle of two of them.

Lots of good info in this thread, http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/chicago-availability-help.282808/

Side note, watch your belongings on the street outside there. My wife and I are no rubes. Yet she was still able to get pick pocketed right outside of the hotel. We went to the corner bakery, which is underneath it, and back, and someone snagged her wallet.

7. KeithE

KeithE Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Illinois

Jmorey, That's interesting about losing your wallet here. Sorry that happened but..... I've lived in Chicago over 50 years and no one has snagged my wallet yet or my wifes or kids. it's not like this is Spain or something, just a typical US city. Oh I once lost my wallet in Wrigley Field when i was 10 years old but I'm pretty sure it fell out of my pocket when i was chasing a foul ball.
    Bfairhurst74 A good way to chase beers here is by using beer menus. https://www.beermenus.com/chicago/places?order=recent

8. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Just throwing it out there. Keep your eyes on your stuff. I was there for a conference in May and I saw more beggars and people harassing others for money etc. than I have ever seen in the city. Oh and at the same conference a coworker had her purse stolen at dinner that night, after I had told them what had happened when we were there previously.

I've been in cities all over the world, only place we have been robbed yet.

9. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think you just need to make it a point to watch your stuff whenever there is a large number of people. Don't worry about it here in Chicago - I'm not questioning Jmorey's experience, but I'm pretty sure you could find stories like that with any large city. Chicago is a great place, and you should have a wonderful time and drink great beer.

I've seen more beggars/homeless people in plenty of other cities...and never felt threatened in those cities either.

As someone else mentioned, bring some local beer from NC, and you can work some good trades to get local stuff that may not be on the shelves when you're here over the holiday.

10. ahq514

ahq514 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

Warehouse Liquors is not too far down Wabash from Palmer. Small, but well curated selection. You will find plenty of local goodies there. Talk to Armando if he's around.

Miller's Pub is right next door, they have a couple of great Chicago breweries on tap. Pazzo's Bar & Grill (the downstairs bar), a couple of blocks away as well, has a good selection.

There are plenty of amazing Chicago bars, breweries, and bottle shops to explore. These three are just within a few minutes of walking from Palmer.

11. Bfairhurst74

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am flying in and not checking bags so I can't bring much. However, I'm always up for trades. If anybody wants anything in particular let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.