Chicago brewery indoor service shut down effective Friday 7/24

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ChicagoJ, Jul 20, 2020.

1. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,292) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/7...o-bars-restaurants-gyms-restrictions-pandemic

This is disheartening, because breweries are operating responsibly, and yet the bars with food licences in by me and elsewhere in many instances are not. Bars serving food or operating with large groups of people at the bar, not a single person wearing a mask (bartenders, servers, people milling around in groups of 15-20).

These same bars operating irresponsibility will be allowed to continue to operate in the same irresponsible manner solely because they serve food. Meanwhile, responsible breweries like Revolution, Metropolitan, Spiteful and other breweries meeting/exceeding all proper service and distancing guidelines are shut down.

2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,421) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I don't understand the point of waiting almost a full week to shut it back down ... like if you're going to shut it back down because its a problem, then why give people 4 full more days?

eppie82, croush, chrismattlin and 6 others like this.
  3. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (913) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I agree, but all I can think of is maybe they wanted to be fair to people they scheduled into work hours or to use up food stock they ordered?

I just don't know how a place that's livelihood rests on them being open and having customers in doesn't enforce the heck out of the guidelines so they can stay open. I get not liking the guidelines or not believing they are effective, but if it's the difference between being opening or having the business going under I'm going to follow every guideline.

eppie82, pudgym29, GuyFawkes and 2 others like this.
  4. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (138) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Didn’t revolution just open today?

5. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

The BrewPub, not the taproom. The taproom has been open since 7/10.

6. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (309) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I think this past weekend, yeah.

7. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (768) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

This is the epitome of TIWWCHNT. Hell, even the police officer in the opening photo of the Sun Times article doesn't appear to have a mask on or be 6 feet away from the table full of people they are talking too, who also aren't wearing masks.

I feel for businesses that have been doing their best to follow all of the recommendations and this is what they end up with.

I work in the public school system. We desperately want to get back to in person work and get kids back into schools, including my own personal children. EVERYONE needs that to happen. That is not going to happen if people continue to be selfish and do dumb shit. Just stop. Everyone. Please and thank you.

8. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,292) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

The same restrictions should be in place for all dining/drinking indoors. She has inspectors, send them out to actually perform work and shut down the places not operating by guidelines. Breweries are operating by the proper guidelines, yet those without food or outdoor seating will be shut down.

One of the bars by me has been open this entire time (March - July), with the same 6-10 regulars perched in the same stools they will likely die sitting in drinking every day, March, April, May and June, and then after places legally reopened. I walked past last evening and there were 25 people in two different groups at the bar, nobody wearing masks including the bartender and barback.

Their brewpub did reopen today and can remain open (at least for now), since they have a food license. Their brewery, however, will not reopen (F-Sun), at least based on the latest dictate, despite the fact they were operating with all proper measures in place.

#8 ChicagoJ, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    FBarber likes this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,907) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It makes some sense as a reaction to the numbers of new cases, etc, but when the suburbs are not affected, well there's no sense in that.

pudgym29 and ChicagoJ like this.
  10. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (132) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

Giving three days notice was OK to me, because it let the bar deplete its beers on draft.
    As far as borders go; yes, there's nothing preventing patrons from heading to Madison Street in Forest Park, or on the west side of Harlem Ave. in Elmwood Park. :rolling_eyes:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  11. HawksBeerFan

Trader

How is Chicago supposed to restrict service of bars in Lake County?

Oddly, Chicago's numbers are actually looking pretty good. It's the rest of Illinois that is more concerning.

FBarber likes this.
  12. flat_lander

Society Trader

Someone told a friend of mine down here the other day that they chose to not to wear a mask. Instead they chose, "Positivity and hope." We're doomed.

13. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,411) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

The COVID fight is over, and we lost. People are so f***king inconsiderate and stupid that the minor inconvenience of wearing ONLY a face covering, is somehow WAAAAYYYY too much to ask of people to sacrifice. Just think about. All those 'patriots' who are (allegedly) willing to die for the country, are the same ones who can't stomach wearing a mask in public for 15-30 minutes while shopping, eating, etc. to save our own people. And as for the claim that face masks don't work, I suppose all those surgeons and doctors have been wearing them for fun all these years, huh?

I grew up in a communist country (it use to be called Yugoslavia when I lived there in the 80s and early 90s), and people cannot begin to fathom what 'rights' and 'freedom' means in relation to someone looking from that perspective. My father had to work for 15 years before we were ASSIGNED a house in which we will live in, and that's what it was. The government deemed as such. So when someone tells me that the government is encroaching on their freedoms and liberties in the US because they require you to wear a face covering when shopping or going into public space, I lose it.

Sorry, off my soap box. This sucks for business that follow the rules and want this pandemic curtailed. I really feel for those people.

14. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (359) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

There’s a special place in...oh, wait, I already used that one today...

15. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

About as effective as "thoughts and prayers".

16. flat_lander

Society Trader

Your camo at DLD last year makes wonderfully beautiful sense now.

ktr5010, eppie82 and FBarber like this.
  17. HawksBeerFan

Trader

Are you saying you're against positivity and hope??

eppie82 likes this.
  18. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (913) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Can't really open the November polls if there is a pandemic and millions are dying....

19. flat_lander

Society Trader

All for it. I just save it all for the online Side Project releases. Then I put a mask on when I go into public areas.

20. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Its all well and good for side project releases, but you really need it more when trading for side project bottles.

#20 FBarber, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    eppie82 and flat_lander like this.
  21. flat_lander

Society Trader

I suppose I could be on the flip side of that equation lately. Instead, I do this weird thing where I drink them. Sometimes with friends. It's crazy.

22. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Aspirant (204) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

I would still say it's a complete over reach and I'm not some anti masker. They are not even close to being in the red as far as the resurgence criteria Pritzker laid out for this exact purpose.
    https://www.dph.illinois.gov/regionmetrics

Not to mention that all the people who were going to get drunk in these bars and breweries are going to go get drunk in a similar place that serves food. With less places open to get drunk in, there will be more people getting drunk in the places that remain open.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  23. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Aspirant (204) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

So are these places all just going to go out of business then?