Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

chicago on saturday // desination help please // near s. michigan downtown and also schuba's

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by robwestcott, Jan 8, 2014.

1. robwestcott

Beer Trader

greetings. coming up to chicago this weekend.

stopping at 3 floyds on the way up on friday and then staying downtown near 600 S Michigan Ave.

going to schuba's on saturday night and looking for somewhere near the club (3159 N Southport Ave) with good beer AND the Colts / Patriots playoff game on a big screen. would like to be fairly close to the club given that the game starts at 815p and the show will be directly thereafter.

thanks for any and all tips.

also, bottle shop tips near the blackstone hotel would be appreciated - is there a binny's nearby by chance ?

anything special on tap at half acre or revolution this weekend that i should try and grab a growler of ?

cheers

2. kodt

The best taplists near Schuba's would be Northdown Cafe & Taproom on Lincoln and Sheffield's Beer & Wine Garden on Sheffield. Northdown I don't think has any big screens, so it would not be good for watching the game. Sheffields might work though.

Bottle shops near your hotel:

Warehouse Liquors (its like a block away from your hotel and has a great selection)
    Printers Row Wine Shop (also walking distance, great shop)
    South Loop Binny's (you would need to take a cab or drive there, but only about a 5-10 minute drive really)

I think a bunch of of the barrel aged Eugene variants are on tap right now at Revolution, making a stop at the Taproom would be a great idea. (they won't do growler fills on these though) You could probably get a bottle of Bean Gene as well.

Half-Acre Big Hugs may be possible to find as well.

robwestcott and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  3. jermy

Beer Trader

^^ best suggestions. Southport Billiards (few blocks north of Schubas) generally has some decent beers available too

robwestcott likes this.
  4. robwestcott

Beer Trader

thanks guys. great tips.

have a message out to sheffields inquiring about their TV / game situation.

and if anyone else has a good beer game viewing location near schuba's, i'm all ears

5. DooshBagalow

Beer Trader

Schubas. And it's not a club.

spicoli00 likes this.
  6. a_l_e_x

If your going to Schubas for a concert or show then that is in the back of the building. Up front sepredated by doors is a bar with TV's. Schubas has decent beers available.

7. jtg5678

Beer Trader

:rolleyes:

Anyway, @kodt did a nice job tailoring it to your stay. If you're going to hit up Half Acre, I'd recommend checking out a shop called Bottles & Cans, which is right down the street. And if you find yourself with some free time and/or want to get outside downtown a little bit, let me suggest Local Option, Map Room, and Small Bar Logan Square.

Cheers and have fun!

8. nucmedmario

Beer Trader

9. StoutItOutLoud

Beer Trader

nucmedmario likes this.
  10. nucmedmario

Beer Trader

DAMMIT. Wrong weekend, both events are for the 18th. Sorry about that.

11. spicoli00

I know you didn't ask for recs by your hotel, but the printer's row Hackney's has a great beer selection as does Kasey's which flank the Printer's row wine shop kodt mentioned. Hackney's has awesome burgers if you need a hangover cure or if you need something to keep you busy during the day. kasey's has tv's, hackney's has one, but kasey's doesn't have food (but let's you bring in outside food, order some malnati's).

http://www.beermenus.com/places/1147-hackney-s-printers-row
    http://kaseystavern.com/beers/internal-beer-list

12. steveh

The Vulgar Boatmen? Sweet -- didn't know they were still around. :)

Beer Mapping is your friend.

13. michman

Go up the street to Southport Lanes. 3300-3400ish north Southport. 32 great taps. they will have all games on. better taplist than sheffields or northdown IMO. and they may even still have some zombie dust left unless i get to it this week! cheers. http://www.beermenus.com/places/3331-southport-lanes-billiards

14. robwestcott

Beer Trader

uhm. ok. thanks.

note to self: no apostrophe, and its a tavern, not a club.

got it.

thanks. the tavern was the first choice, but i took a look at the bar taplist online and it looked like anti hero, two hearted and matilda were the only craft-y choices available.

its been several years since i've been to the tavern, and i'm cool with anti hero, but perhaps there are other choices not listed online.

thanks to all you fine chicago BA folks for helping me out. much appreciated. i think we're good to go now.

cheers !

15. jermy

Beer Trader

Btw if you pick up some great brews or wine downtown (or near schubas), there's a lot of pretty good byobs in that area

robwestcott likes this.
  16. Redrover

Subscriber

I'm glad to see Schubas has some decent options. My 9 year old daughter is playing a show there on 2/15. Her School of Rock is doing a Petty, McCartney, Ghrol tribute show.

robwestcott likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe