Chicago Stout Releases

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by HawksBeerFan, Dec 2, 2016.

1. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (183) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Are the bottles still available?

2. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (365) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yes. Everything is available.

PhilBallins likes this.
  3. croush

croush Defender (661) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I'm skipping it as well, but I'm blaming it on Mikerphone.

4. Wowzors

Wowzors Initiate (81) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Has BA Ten Fidy hit the chicagoland area yet? I was in Nebraska last week and picked two up for 11.99 a pop, kinda wish I picked up more as I really like it.

5. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,080) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

and! AND! their pricing structure. Remember, just because Mikerphone came after many of the breweries charging high prices, they are still to blame. Call it retroactive blaming.

Abraxas price/per ounce divided by bottle format multiplied by enjoyment factor and then taken square root of waiting in line time plus searching for a bottle just doesn't make sense. It's basically garbage.

Chuckdiesel24, FBarber and Coons like this.
  6. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (201) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

All excellent points. However, I will remind you that this very forum decided a year or so ago that Abraxas is definitively superior to BA Abraxas.

Chuckdiesel24, eppie82 and FBarber like this.
  7. kodt

kodt Zealot (572) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

To be fair, Mikerphone is in the middle of nowhere industrial park suburbs and charging downtown Chicago bar prices on draft pours. But hey, they can get away with it...

ECOBOOSTINST and Coons like this.
  8. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (24) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

Found Hailstorm Lumberjack Breakfast Stout at Binny's today, quite the awesome surprise, especially considering the price. May be the highest ABV 4pack 16oz. cans around the area (13%)? I can't think of anything higher?

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  9. Coons

Coons Initiate (74) Mar 23, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

ah but searching for a bottle time to the power of having never had said beer before generally approaches infinity and the square root and waiting in line becomes negligible. enjoyment factor has never deviated from the avg 7 as one wise man had said,

" its beer, guy"
    -one wise man

and then it was.

eppie82 likes this.
  10. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (365) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I’m not gonna disagree. (Even if I could do the math without my head exploding)

Abraxas is amazeballs, but for $30+ after tax i just can’t do it. I’d rather buy a killer bottle of wine or a bunch of BCS.

PhilBallins likes this.
  11. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Savant (910) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I love that beer from when it last came out, which was two years ago - but don’t know if I can justify more stouts. Even in a great format.

12. NNN

NNN Initiate (84) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Abraxas is overrated. $30 for a non ba cinnamon stout? Pass.

13. kodt

kodt Zealot (572) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

Who is charging $30? I saw it for $23

Ferocious and FBarber like this.
  14. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (63) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

$30 in what universe? I'm pretty sure I paid $24 and change out the door at Binny's the other day, and it's a 750mL.

Coons likes this.
  15. NNN

Trader

Regardless, it’s the most overrated stout people line up for in these parts.

SeanBond likes this.
  16. ChiPez66

Trader

I don't think anyone is lining up for it, though. I walked in Binny's, grabbed it, and walked out.

17. NNN

Trader

Binnys and BT had lines last year

18. ChiPez66

Trader

This year isn't last year. :wink:

19. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (52) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

there are cases at binny's LP, 23.99.

while that number is an affront to the traditional pricing model for non-BA stouts, at the end of the day, it's a very good beer.

we're lucky to have an amazing selection of stouts to choose from, but there are plenty of cheaper BA beers that pale in comparison to Abraxas.

20. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (948) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

That's true, but for what it is, I'd just go with Xocoveza or Malevolence instead. Hell, BA Xoco is like $20 a bottle (I think they're slightly smaller than bombers, though), and I like that beer way more than Abraxas.

It's a great beer, but like Darkness, it's getting hard for me to justify that sort of price on a non-BA bomber.

GuyFawkes and ChiPez66 like this.
  21. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (289) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

Abraxas is one of my favorite stouts. Gladly pay $25 for it.

22. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (116) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

Odd Side Rye Hipster Brunch Stout on the shelf at Binny's Grand. Limit of 1 per person.
    Sadly no Abraxas yet, Maybe today.

23. BegyleBrewing

BegyleBrewing Initiate (47) Jul 6, 2014 Illinois

We're releasing 2 different bottles of our barrel-aged Snooze Button (Russian imperial stout) tomorrow, 12/7! One aged in Buffalo Trace rye whiskey barrels and one aged in Buffalo Trace/Heaven Hill bourbon barrels. There will also be some single barrel draft only options (including Koval 4-grain whiskey barrel-aged) in the taproom.

Limited bottles, but not "wait-in-line-in-the-cold-and-spend-your-whole-paycheck" limited. :grin:

24. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Defender (674) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Absolutely!

25. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (193) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

If Abraxas came out in like July, then I'd probably pull the trigger. With the volume of releases now, I can't justify it.

26. jmk

jmk Initiate (78) May 8, 2008 Illinois

Benthic is on at Ironside.

27. NNN

Trader

Ok so $23.99 + local/federal taxes = ~$27.60. That's closer to $30 than $25. Point stands.

Coons likes this.
  28. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (52) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

you seem fun

RGP23, toolbrew, PhilBallins and 2 others like this.
  29. DryHoppedUrMom

DryHoppedUrMom Initiate (46) Aug 15, 2015 Illinois

I bought it at Binny's Bolingbrook yesterday and it was $25.63 with tax. I've never had it before, so I'm glad not everyone was chasing after it this year. I finally get to try it.

30. ChiPez66

Trader

10 cents closer.(maybe in Cook County) You win.

If you don't want to spend 27.60 on a bottle of beer don't. But why criticize others for it?

dukeandduke likes this.
  31. ChiPez66

Trader

Same place I got mine.

DryHoppedUrMom likes this.
  32. ravens_wood

ravens_wood Initiate (33) Dec 21, 2017 Illinois

Is BA Xocoveza different than Xocoveza Charred? I just bought a bottle of Xocoveza Charred as I was curious how it'll be different than the normal version. Xocoveza is one of my favorite low-key stouts. If Stone went with the scarcity model and banged up the price it'd have so much more hype (luckily it doesn't! :grimacing:)

33. HawksBeerFan

Pretty sure they are the same

Unfortunately charred didn't do much for me

34. P739397

P739397 Initiate (51) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed. I haven't been in stores as much lately and was struck by what was just sitting on shelves. Benthic, Abraxas, Darkness, Dino Smores, Cafe Deth, all the Baptists, Dosvidanya. Pick what you want and how much you want to spend, there seems to be all kinds of options.

BuffaloBill12 and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  35. ravens_wood

ravens_wood Initiate (33) Dec 21, 2017 Illinois

rats. i'll keep an open mind but if it's no different than standard stuff at least it was *only* 14.99 at binny's grand rather than 20.

36. HawksBeerFan

I actually like non-charred more but I know others love charred. Hopefully you like it!

37. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (948) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

My bad, yeah, Ba Xoco = Charred here (I think they did a Cali-only BA version at one point, but I have no idea). It's a more subtle barrel than a lot, but I think it's really tasty. Then again, I don't like peppers in my stouts, so any barrel-aging that will drive down the presence of that sort of thing is very welcome.

Regular Xocoveza is excellent as well.

38. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (137) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Ironside on my way to Bub City sounds like the move after work now

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  39. cmjohst

cmjohst Initiate (35) Dec 19, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks for the tip, grabbed Rye Hipster and Im drinking it now. Im admittedly a sucker for maple but it is a very solid beer.

FBarber, GuyFawkes and TigerDriver91 like this.
  40. Juicer

Juicer Initiate (129) Apr 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Prairie Bomb is not too shabby either. I prefer it to Abraxas, readily available, slightly better price point per oz. Different strokes

FBarber likes this.