Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Chile Beer Tasting: Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by birchholz, Feb 7, 2013.

1. birchholz

I'm hosting our tasting group in a couple weeks and I'm trying to come up with a theme. We've hit most of the major styles over the years, and I'm thinking about doing chile beers as something a little different.

I have access to a decent range of options. No Hunaphu's or Cognac de Muerte DL, but I can do Abraxas, several moles (Ska, New Holland, New Belgium), Stone Smoked Chipotle, Rogue Chipotle Ale, VE 11.11.11, 5 Vulture, Chocolate Sombrero, and a few others.

My question is if this is actually a good idea. I'm afraid that after a couple of these our palates would be too fatigued and the chiles would eventually overwhelm all the other flavors. Has anyone ever done a tasting like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. reverseapachemaster

It really depends on how much chile flavor and heat is in each beer and how much the people like chile. Personally I can drink a lot of chile beer before I get tired of it because I love the stuff as long as it isn't too spicy but some people really aren't that big on it and don't care much for the style. I'd bug your potential guests for their input.

3. loafinaround

I would imagine too much chipotle (smoke) causing fatigue faster than just chiles.

4. stealth

Beer Trader

I love hotness and spice, but have yet to have a brew that offered any significant amount of heat, especially to the point where I would be fatigued from drinking a lot of it. If someone doesn't like hot peppers, though, that shit will get old fast.

Tangent: I'd love to have a hot pepper beer that fatigued my palate like an extreme sour can. Anything out there?

5. ramnuts

6. jimmyr78

Beer Trader

Skip VE 11.11.11 - no bueno. That said, it has a decent spice to it, but like most of the Stone verticals, not a good beer. IMHO

Some nice beers in that lineup, though.

7. GeezLynn

Next time you make it up to Duluth, hit up Fitger's. I'd bet that you're not going want more than a couple of Wildfires.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1169/23991

stealth likes this.
  8. El_Zilcho

I had Twisted Pine's Ghost Face Killah recently, brewed with ghost peppers among other peppers. Its pretty freakin hot, but at the same time not bad. It was surprisingly good, I went back the next day to get another one.

stealth likes this.
  9. stealth

Beer Trader

Thanks guys! I will try to get my hands on both :)

10. aasher

Beer Trader

Tyranena Benji's Chipotle Smoked Imperial Porter was just released again. GREAT beer!

djsmith1174 and misterid like this.
  11. UCLABrewN84

This sounds like a tasting I would love to attend. You should probably be fine if you keep the spiciest beers towards the end. I suggest ending the tasting with Ghost Face Killah if you can get a bottle.

12. TheBishopco

Beer Trader

Weston Brewing makes a Hot Pepper Ale brewed with serranos and jalapenos. It's listed as retired, but I still see lots of it around here. There's also the infamous Cave Creek Chile Beer. Another one too look for would be Sierra Blanca's Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza. It's over the top green chiles, and I really liked it.

13. birchholz

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm in the Chicago area and don't do much trading, so I have to go with what I have in my cellar and what I can get off the shelf.

I think I'm going to focus on the beers that emphasize the chocolate/chile combo, especially since I've got the Abraxas. I'll probably experiment with some moles and dessert pairings to go with them.

14. dumptruck81

Beer Trader

If it were me I'd want to have a palate cleansing beer(I'm thinking ipa or sour) here and there to get some contrast. As others mentioned definitely go for the spicier ones toward the end(ve 11.11.11). Then again you may want to finish with the best(abraxas).

Sounds like a tasting I'd really enjoy. Most of the ones you mentioned aren't really too spicy IMO.

birchholz likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe