Chugging Craft Beer: Why?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beer_Stan, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

I've been pretty blind to this seemingly growing trend of dudes posting content on social media of them chugging things like Cantillon, Pliny, and strong barrel aged beer. Given my background I'm confused, as I learned to cherish subtlety and flavor and all that which you cant get by chugging the contents of anything. So why do it? Whats the point? Is it a macho thing? Someone told me it was about camaraderie with other dudes who have chugged. I still dont get it.

2beerdogs, Grackos, cronimi and 11 others like this.
  2. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Devotee (445) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

I saw a video on Instagram of some guy chugging an entire bottle of Bourbon County Stout. He poured it into a glass and everything. I don't get it.

3. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,561) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

It's just to get attention on social media, nothing more.

4. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,173) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,960) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Yeah, a bit of "look what I can afford to do" mixed with dissing something others like/respect. Asshats.

If they really want to impress us, they could buy a Ferrari and intentionally wreck it. :wink:

MikeP64, hophugger, storm72 and 32 others like this.
  6. Beer_Stan

Trader

Sounds like what I suspected, essentially craft beer has an increase of craft "bros," manly men, and the like, slamming high ABV beer/expensive beers for attention and proof of their [insert non-important male social contruct here]

7. DrewLS

DrewLS Initiate (154) Oct 7, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Standard chug is weak.

Mixed chug is where it's at.

tzieser and Tdizzle like this.
  8. Beer_Stan

Trader

What even is THAT?

LuskusDelph likes this.
  9. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (185) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

It should be quite readily apparent, if you’re paying even remote attention, that this world is full of complete fucking idiots.

10. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,111) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm with you. These guys are A-list Darwin Award material.

11. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (958) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I'd prefer if these people just chose to ate an entire [Insert one of today's top 10 hottest peppers].

I just recently learned about this to. I'm dumbfounded.

12. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

Never knew this was a thing. These are likely the same people who ate Tide Pods a few weeks ago.

13. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,960) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

...or cinnamon challenge...that can kill

LuskusDelph and FBarber like this.
  14. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I saw a video of a guy chugging a 1/5th of vodka once, I'm sure he ended up in the hospital getting his stomach pumped. Or died, who knows. These guys are about 1/2 a notch smarter than that.

15. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

I'm not entirely guilty of chugging a craft beer but there are times a nice pilsner goes down in 3-4 relatively quick sips.

Sometimes I may just want a nice quick soft of buzz and a FBS will go down within 10 minutes.

In those instances, I'm not exactly cherishing every single sip. I think more craft consumers are more on the spectrum of binge drinkers than we care to admit.

I think the concept of fast consumption of really great beer stumps a lot of purists too. Some beers are better cold, simply put. Not all should be an orgasmic cold to warm defining moment. It really is just beer at the end of the day.

16. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,468) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio
    Society

Well said. End of thread.

hophugger, laketang, eppCOS and 5 others like this.
  17. Beer_Stan

Trader

Oh i'm well aware of this fact but since I don't partake in this kind of thing I wanted some perspective as to what exactly was the reason for the sudden uptick i'm seeing.

18. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,299) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

19. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Of the fucks you have to give in this life. Why give them to someone else about this?

TheeWarPig, Kemosabe, jdell15 and 3 others like this.
  20. Beer_Stan

Trader

Of all the fuck you have to give in this life. Why give them to me about how many fucks I should give about anything?

21. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (13,977) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Bizarre, but I've just run into this myself. A guy walked into the brewery I work at and sat down and said, I'm good, I just chugged 32 oz. of whatever double IPA with my buddies at band practice. REALLY???? WTF??? Water, of course, but then after that he's stayed here for almost 4 hours steadily drinking but not getting shit-faced. All I can say is WTF? Maybe he's just more responsible than other people, he seems fine, but the chugging seemed odd to me.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  22. Lahey

I've come to realize most people have unlimited fucks. I'm not on social media, but it seems as if it's a givin-a-fuck-fest

Jaycase, SudsDoctor, rozzom and 3 others like this.
  23. Beer_Stan

Trader

I get that for some people this is normal stuff but I'm not talking slamming a 40oz or guzzling a Modelo Especial or some shit. I'm talking a dude waiting in line to get some special one off can release or trading for it, getting it home and just like that its gone. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of "I just waited in line for 2 hours after hitting F5 on eventbrite for 3, so I could as quickly as possible get drunk off of this expensive well attenuated barrel aged collab between two awesome breweries"

hophugger, LuskusDelph and Lahey like this.
  24. Beer_Economicus

Trader

This reminds me of the video many years ago of a dude waiting in line in NY to get a PS3 or PS4, going outside, and in front of everyone absolutely destroying it with a sledge hammer.

I wonder how much of it is just shitting on everyone else, because that makes them happy.

Sounds a lot like internet trolls.

25. Beer_Stan

Trader

If thats the case then i guess that makes sense, in a crude way. But if its this whole mantle of "bro i just slammed a 22 of [insert high gravity beer here] because I think I'm dope for doing it" my main query is centered around why now? why all of a sudden, unprovoked, am I seeing more and more dudes doing this?

26. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I'm sure it's many aspects, one of which is as you stated. My question would be, why has anyone ever tried to take the Cinnamon (tablespoon) challenge? Or similar stupid things. Ice-bucket - that's for charity, that makes sense. All these other dumb things? I never got it. Especially when you know it can't be done. Perhaps this is just that bro thing. I did have a friend (who grew up with like 8 brothers) who was very adamant that he held the chug record in his family (1 12oz bud in 2.8 seconds). Silly to me, but I've never been that personality.

LuskusDelph and cavedave like this.
  27. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (5,110) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

jmdrpi, kemoarps, GuyFawkes and 10 others like this.
  28. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Chugging craft beer is for losers, I prefer to shotgun Tree House cans!!!!

TheeWarPig, Tamarack, nc41 and 2 others like this.
  29. Lahey

I chugged a craft beer once, but that was because my girl was too drunk and I needed it to disappear before she turned back around. So it was a good cause.

30. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,327) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Trader

Careful there, few years ago I started a thread about this article because I thought it was too funny not to share. Apparently the mods didn't think it was funny. They deleted the thread and gave me a warning. :rolling_eyes:

31. Beer_Stan

Trader

Or taking Heady to the head

TonyLema1 likes this.
  32. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,045) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

Who cares? I've learned to ignore the ridiculous nature of people that shows through online: trolls, tide pods, etc.

It's a waste of good beer and just dumb. But has anyone ever been pretty buzzed/drunk and "wasted" great beers at the back end of a session?

People are dumb and they do dumb things; when alcohol and attention is involved people will do nearly anything.

A friend of mine in college used to bong at least 2-3 tall boy cans of Steel Reserve every thursday night, he's a doctor now. I don't post videos of me drinking and I don't chug good beer. I drink through my glasses at a quick rate but I also drink a ton of water and have an oral fixation.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  33. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Wow, I may be alone in enjoying to watch folks chug.

I will admit that I never used to enjoy watching. But now that I observe with the hope/expectation of someone spilling beer on themselves, or throwing up, or both at the same time, I find I enjoy it.

I don't chug. Pretty sure I could if I wanted to, but the point of it escapes me, and it still baffles me why others enjoy doing it, or watching it. But for me it is this sardonic sort of pleasure I get from watching folks fail miserably at something silly and wasteful, or watching folks succeed at it and act as though they had just done something consequential instead of stupid.

FlintB, eppCOS, PapaGoose03 and 9 others like this.
  34. Beer_Stan

Trader

But even if the chugger was successful, wouldn't it still be in and of itself a failure. I think so from what I've gathered about it so far, I've never understood taking in craft beer at such a pace that it ceases to have a purpose in being craft. Why not just drink hard liquor if you want a buzz that fast?

PapaGoose03 and LuskusDelph like this.
  35. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,502) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Your title is a bit misleading.

I’ve chugged plenty of craft beer, just not Cantillon, Pliny, or strong barrel aged beer. I realize you are talking about beers that based on their style and perhaps cost don’t makes sense to chug, but there are many that do, especially lighter, low ABV styles, especially after yard work. Just sayin.

As for the types of beers you’ve listed above, I echo the comments in this thread.

TongoRad likes this.
  36. Beer_Stan

Trader

While I can understand that a light, lower ABV beer is easier to chug I still don't think it makes sense to do it as a whole. But you're right I am specifically talking about rare releases, hard to find beer that people are dying to try, specialty BBA stouts and the like. What is to be gained by quaffing these big, expensive, or rare beers? Who's celebrating this? Who thinks this is cool? and why am I seeing it as a rising trend amongst those of us in the craft community. Why is some guy slamming a can of hard to get Trillium or Fremont BA Darkstar?

TheGent likes this.
  37. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I am not proud I enjoy to watch others act stupidly, especially if it leads to humorous results and failures, but I am honest enough to admit it.

38. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,502) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Excess. Social Media. Shock Value. I want to believe these are folks who are newer to the craft beer community with less respect. These people are not advocating for beer. They are advocating for "likes."

LuskusDelph, bubseymour and Buck89 like this.
  39. Yellolab2010

Yellolab2010 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

Look I agree its stupid (most of the time)! I don't ever do it unless its cheap beer and hanging with buddies daring one another but I don't have a problem with guys or gals chugging expensive or high abv brews. They acquired it and paid for it so guess what...can do as they please. I understand the org post as to why people would do and to that I don't know but then again who cares? Kinda like telling people how to spend their money which isn't anyone else's business but their own.

40. Beer_Stan

Trader

No, not telling people how they should spend their money or what they should do with their beer ownership. Just looking for a logic amidst the chaos of why it being recorded and posted online, a fools errand? maybe but how else do I look for some perspective on something I just don't understand outside of assuming what i'm seeing is obvious to some (that they are idiots, meatheads, etc). I started this thread hoping someone could shed some light, discuss, and offer discourse. I care because I was curious, and that should be enough of a reason.

PapaGoose03, LuskusDelph and cavedave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.