1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Churchill's Finest Hour

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by funkel81, Mar 5, 2013.

1. funkel81

funkel81 Jan 23, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

2010 rAvg = 3.92
    2011 rAvg = 4.36
    2012 rAvg = 4.55
    2013 rAvg = 4.71

what can be deduced here? should 2010 trade for shelf beer? are people rating it higher to hype? is it falling off quickly? is 2013 so much better? has the recipe changed? discuss...

2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Apr 13, 2010 Texas

Needs more reviews.

corby112 likes this.
  3. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Jun 8, 2010 California

2010 = infection

pmarlowe, FishPondManager and Etan like this.
  4. StarRaptor

Side by side 2012 was better than 2013 and in the end the reviews will show this... if not more

5. StarRaptor

2010 BA Score = 87
    2011 BA Score = 95
    2012 BA Score = 99
    2013 BA Score = 96

libbey, cbeer88 and MarkIntihar like this.
  6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

I can say with 100% certainty that it's a grand scheme by SoCal traders to hype a beer that would otherwise completely fly under the radar. I mean, it's not like you had to be there by 5 a.m. just to get a bottle to take home...

ridglens, Hugonaut13, libbey and 11 others like this.
  7. Duffman929

Duffman929 Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

And stand in the freezing sun

8. mrbubbler

mrbubbler Jun 16, 2008 California

It's a blend first off so yes every year is different. 2010 was infected, though i have heard of people having uninfected bottles. 2012 was a fantastic year for Churchills, it was a very smooth and balanced beer with wonderful chocolate notes. 2013 is a little hot currently but in my opinion has the greatest potential out of the line up. (no i'm not hyping, i wasn't able to get any bottles of 2013)

Pecan, Callmecoon, vissai and 4 others like this.
  9. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Last year a well known whale hunter from OC decided to proclaim loudly to everyone at Churchill's to rate the 2012 vintage to all 5s in order to up its trade value. He also walked out with an entire case of said beer.

10. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

I only believe positive reviews if the reviewer doesn't live in the same State as the beer was produced

I only believe negative reviews if the reviewer lives in the same State as the beer was produced.

SkyBlueWaters and kscaldef like this.
  11. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Jun 23, 2009 Washington

Nailed it.

jglowe77, FUNKPhD and evilc like this.
  12. SubpoenaDeuces

SubpoenaDeuces Feb 3, 2011 California

someone just stumbles into a room with a fistfull of implications and zero information, this seems like a promising start to a discussion.

what can be deduced by listing 4 out of context rdev scores for a beer that is different every year? this i guess:

2010 was infected, so there you go
    2011 is a completely different blend, as is every single year, and a very good beer
    2012 is world class and delicious, read some of the 118 ratings from all over the nation. or do a quick search for what it traded for.
    2013 I enjoyed even more than 2012, some babypalates called it too hot, what can be deduced here is that there are too few reviews at this point to determine just how full of shit the self interested traders are. might as well preemptively call them out though, just in case.

should 2010 trade for shelf beer? I don't know, I am not the boss of bilateral exchanges.
    are people rating it higher to hype? not sure. why not BM the 15 people who reviewed it and accuse them directly
    is it falling off quickly? no, each year is different.
    is 2013 so much better? it has a lower BA score and a smaller rating sample, so I dont know why this question was posited.
    has the recipe changed? I guess, each year is a different blend.

what was the point of this thread, I dont even

13. funkel81

funkel81 Jan 23, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

touchy

jglowe77 likes this.
  14. SubpoenaDeuces

SubpoenaDeuces Feb 3, 2011 California

YOU ARE RUINING MY CHANCES AT LANDING CHERRY RYE JUST WAIT LIKE THREE WEEKS FOR THESE THREADS OK

15. evilc

Cherry juice into normal BCBS - DONE bro.

gockets and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  16. Lane1

Lane1 Jan 10, 2011 California

Damn, that's a lot of hate. I think it's a fantastic beer, but how many beers with the crazy hype behind it live up? I think the quality and bottle count make it highly sought after. I try not to pay attention to much hype and remember that it's "just beer". And it's a fantastic beer at that

totoropanda likes this.
  17. Mista

Mista Nov 10, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

If Cherry Rye is what you seek I'm your guy. Cherry Rye + ? = CFH'13

on a side note why did they pick such a crappy poop brown color for the wax?

18. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I just launched half a taster of Odell Red from my face hole across the Odell tap room. :)

gklover1 and Penguin3200 like this.
  19. ehammond1

ehammond1 Jul 4, 2008

It was meant to be a much more olive green wax as opposed to the (yes, ugly) brown. It was more green, apparently, during the waxing process but when the wax dried, it turned more and more brown.

20. evilc

The joint Winny is smoking has green smoke at least.

21. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Had 11, 12 and 13 all side by side this past weekend. All were amazing. This beer is a world class barrel aged stout. Right up there with the best of them.

What should CFH trade for? I would say another great beer like itself.

Wowcoolman likes this.
  22. Shmeal

Shmeal Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

It was made with real poop

FUNKPhD and evilc like this.
  23. evilc

Kopi Luwak CFH?

24. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Ya Ivan said he wishes they would have made it green like the cigar smoke is on the bottle. Oh well.

25. xnicknj

xnicknj May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

he'd probably have to microwave it too

Penguin3200 likes this.
  26. usofar

usofar Dec 23, 2010 California

I still like 2013 better by a hair, but you can't go wrong with either.

JustXBeer and jp7161 like this.
  27. Siggy125

Siggy125 Nov 10, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

If you got there at 600am, you missed out. And categorizing trader behavior/mentality by geography is ridiculous.

28. IPAyForHops

IPAyForHops Apr 24, 2010 California

there ya go, fixed;) (speaking from personal experience)

Whatsarezaf likes this.
  29. StarRaptor

My ears still hurt from walking across to your table to tell you that you were incorrect in your untappd checkin. ;) Man it was loud inside

30. usofar

usofar Dec 23, 2010 California

What? Wait that's not funny I'm reading here not trying to hear you. You're probably right as everyone at my table agreed with you. What can i say? I guess i like them hot.

31. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

[​IMG]

32. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper May 9, 2011 California

This is the correct response to ongoing nonsense between idiots trying to hype and discredit the beer. Everyone needs to shit the fuck up already. If I could drink at lunch in high school. This is what it's be like.

33. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Apr 13, 2010 Texas

Hell yeah!

PrinceCaspian72 likes this.
  34. MrVonzipper

It was a fucking secret goddammit, Scott!

35. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

'10-'12 did not blow me away. Good BA stout but I would not participate in the 6am circle jerk for it. I'd be okay with trading SubpoenaDeuces the midwest.rar shelf whales that get distributed here for some Churchill's though.

36. MrVonzipper

Gotta love autocorrect. It's shut when I want shit and shit when I want shut.

GrumpyOldTroll and FUNKPhD like this.
  37. Siggy125

Siggy125 Nov 10, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

I'm very impressed that my comment stimulated this level effort. Well done!

usofar and MarkIntihar like this.
  38. Iheartbarleywines

Iheartbarleywines Mar 1, 2013 Illinois

.......Wax?

39. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

The point of this thread is:

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE MIDWEST RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE WEST COAST RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE 2AM RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE 15 DEGREES OUTSIDE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

or something along those lines.

JustXBeer, FUNKPhD and domtronzero like this.
  40. bauermj

bauermj May 4, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So trade & taste wise how does CFH'13 compare with the 2012 version? Are there more bottles?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe