Cicerone's Pick Their Favorite Budget Beers - Saga, Saga, Saga

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by cmannes, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (377) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/cicerone-best-beer-on-a-budget-affordable-best-value-beer.html

Did I mention Saga? :)

tacosandbeer likes this.
  2. MCImes

MCImes Disciple (353) Dec 31, 2010 Connecticut

Thats a pretty good list of above average beers.

I definitely agree with the St Bernardus 12. Thats a damn good beer for $10/bomber and doesnt get much love. It needs to be rarer...(j/k)

I also like the 'dusty belgian beers' rec. I always hunt for old guezue or lambics. I found an 09' Cuvee rene a couple months ago. Damn tasty. Also scored 3 bottles of 04' marrige parfait guezue in Chi town when I was there. It was good and dusty. Good times.

Chaz likes this.
  3. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Aspirant (229) Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

Nuke this thread from space, please.

4. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (196) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

I agree with Petrus Aged Pale Ale, I found it to be VERY much like a white wine, except way better.

5. Revenant

Revenant Aspirant (280) Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

Some of these Cicerones, I tell ya.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  6. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aspirant (298) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

Saga is awsome. Truly underrated!

7. Ish1

Ish1 Devotee (462) Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader Subscriber

Good thing no one told him about the 10.99 12pk deals...

8. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (2,881) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Another thread high jacket by Saga...er...a...wait...

Revenant and cmannes like this.
  9. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (5,539) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

No kidding! He would have lost his mind! (like I did when I first found them)

10. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (566) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

The revamped Horizon Red is another note worthy steal. I thought the old stuff was good. Love those Mosaic hops!

11. MCImes

I havent bought the red for a while. how did they change it? I liked it in the past but havent bought it for a while. Ill have to check it out again.

12. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (592) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

It is now re-branded as a "Red IPA" and the recipe has changed to include more hops and the addition of Mosaic hops in the dry-hopping phase.

BrettHead likes this.
  13. mjryan

Bought a twelve pack the other day. Delicious and affordable.

BottleCaps80 and McRyan like this.
  14. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (592) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Looking forward to trying the new recipe. Hopefully soon!

15. MCImes

Nice, so it just became a cheap Furious? It was already pretty hoppy for a red (in a good way). Ill have to pick some up and give it a try

16. 4four4

4four4 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2007 Minnesota

This change over is interesting. I hope it's better.

17. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Devotee (415) Feb 23, 2013 Minnesota

Had a couple from the winter sampler and was pretty surprised at how hoppy it was and by how much I enjoyed it. I remember thinking that is was similar in hoppiness to both Windvane and Rainmaker. How it compared to Furious never crossed my mind.

18. mjryan

Drinking one now. I mean, it's still Red H, kind of. The Mosaic hops are very unique and add a lot to the beer. Any comparison to Furious is fair I suppose, both are hopped up red ales, but Summits is not nearly as sweet. Lighter bodied/dryer is perhaps a better descriptor. All I can say is that Sága twelve packs will be on the back burner for a bit as I'm enamored with H Red at the moment.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  19. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Champion (856) May 10, 2009 Colorado

So the new version is obvious (in the updated label Summit bottles)? Was looking forward to trying this after hearing about the Mosaic addition, but at both my usual stops I see Cascade/Horizon/Amarillo on the labels.

20. SirBubblesofSunnyvale

SirBubblesofSunnyvale Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 Minnesota

Has anyone heard about the release of Frostline Rye? I recall hearing mid-January so I'm expecting it soon.

21. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (83) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

Yep, the new Horizon packaging says Horizon Red IPA, whereas the old packaging says Horizon Red Ale.

#21 grantcty, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    GeezLynn likes this.
  22. 4four4

4four4 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2007 Minnesota

First week or two of Feb.

23. edbeered

edbeered Devotee (430) Oct 29, 2004 Minnesota

Had both the Horizon Red IPA and the Frostline Rye at the Summit taproom last weekend. They are both very good and will be available this weekend as well. Might be a good reason to go there if you haven't done so before. Plus, this Saturday, they will also have the Rebellion Stout on tap. I'll be there for sure.

24. Bunuelian

Bunuelian Defender (643) Mar 22, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Does anyone else read the title of this thread and think of Jan from the Brady Bunch?

25. deadbody

deadbody Aspirant (295) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Was Marsha flavorful with a nice hoppy bite at a reasonable price?

Nope, one more reason Saga is better :)

26. Revenant

Revenant Aspirant (280) Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

Hoppy and Bite are two adjectives I would not use when describing Saga. It's a nice enough beer, but Summit jumps out way before any hops.

27. deadbody

deadbody Aspirant (295) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I don't think it attacks your tongue with hoppy pitchforks like some other hoppy beers, but especially fresh is has enough hops and bite to it to keep me happy.

28. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Initiate (48) May 15, 2008 Minnesota

Sorry to resurrect for this question, but is there an actual difference or just packaging change? I haven't seen anything with new packaging in Rochester yet.

29. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (2,793) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Confused with the packaging as well. Have not seen Horizon Red IPA packaged individually. Bought a Summit Winter Sampler as I saw it had Horizon. The bottles say Horizon Red Ale with a best by date of 03/01/14.

30. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (473) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

31. Seefeldt

That's what I thought. I want it!

32. morimech

33. morimech

Probably deserves its own thread now but since it is already being discussed here. Tried the Summit Horizon Red IPA with a best before date of 05/16/14. It is a different beer. A lot of dankness and citrus. I cannot perceive a bitterness change, just a hop aroma and flavor change. Mosaic hops may be new to the beer??, and I like it. This beer will replace Saga and SN as my budget brew.

BrettHead likes this.
  34. Seefeldt

I couldn't decide which of eight saga threads to resurrect, so I went with this since it's the newest. Costco in Rochester currently has Saga for $22.99 a case. Considering here that a twelver is $14.99 I squealed when I saw this. Also, if it's your thing, it's also the new packaging.

35. summitbeer

summitbeer Initiate (24) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Sorry, I'm late everyone! Thanks for the response and the support throughout this thread.

Some information:

Re: Horizon Red IPA - Main change Damo & the brew crew made: Mosaic hops. They added Mosaic in both late-boil additions and dry-hopping. That certainly boosts the aroma points of the beer more along the expected lines of a American IPA. The recipe also has had a slight increase in IBUs as well as a decrease in the chocolately, malt flavor than in its previous life. It has become a quick favorite at the brewery bar. The recipe was gradually stepped up over the last three brew cycles so it's been an evolving beer over the last six months, but we are now where we want to be with it. If you like it, we now think you'll love it. And if you weren't a fan before, try it again.

Re: Winter Ale - this year's Winter did have some differences as well. Damo wanted to get more hop presence into the beer including more late-addition and dry-hop Fuggles. And highlight the spiciness of the beer without as much toffee/caramel richness.

Re: True Brit IPA (not than anyone asked, but I'm sure you'd like to know) - First off, we changed the name in hopes that consumers would not expect a hop-bomb, superdank (American) IPA from this beer, rather a more refined and classic English IPA with nice malt structure and earthy hops. As Summit IPA transitioned into True Brit IPA, the brewers removed Special B from the recipe to decrease some of that raisiny malt flavor and to accentuate the hops which has also increased.. specifically in the dry-hopping (by 33%!)... for more pronounced hop flavor and aroma. True Brit is also now being filtered through an additional polishing filter (same process used on EPA) so makes for an even clearer beer and should lead to longer shelf stability.

Sàga is still Sàga, which is to say - it's the still the bomb diggity in my book.

Holla... Chip @ Summit

jimmah120, morimech and ToddSoonerFan like this.
  36. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (2,974) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Subscriber

One of my locals (HB Jones in Elmhurst, IL) has Saga on tap at an everyday price of $3.75 per pint plus its half price on Thursdays. You have to love the price-quality ratio of this beer!

summitbeer likes this.
  37. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Champion (856) May 10, 2009 Colorado

Smart move. I've found many new beer drinkers' only experiences with IPA are limited to the currently popular, heavily hopped with American hops versions of the style to the degree that a good balanced English IPA is seen as "a malt bomb". Hopefully a more detailed label will help people new to the beer approach it with realistic expectations.

summitbeer likes this.
  38. SwinginParty

SwinginParty Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Minnesota

I love being able to rotate freely between Furious, Saga, Day Tripper, Hop Dish and Size 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More