Cigar City Brewing explores expansion in the Carolinas

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by CASK1, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (316) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

While I'm in Florida with ready access, I'd love to see this expansion!
    http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ar-city-brewing-explores-wnc-expand/17354499/

2. Gvsccraftbeer

Gvsccraftbeer Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2014 South Carolina

I live in Greenville, 5 minutes from Travelers Rest. I really hope they come here! It would make our loss of Stone seem a lot better!

3. Tpain518

Tpain518 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 New York

Screw that come to New York.

borgese, Shaymus, SadMachine and 3 others like this.
  4. CHickman

CHickman Poo-Bah (3,919) Jan 7, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I agree with Tpain518, they should expand up north more with NY as an ideal location

tkdchampxi and Thickfreakness like this.
  5. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Defender (618) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I agree with NY. Huge market, solid beer scene.

tkdchampxi and Thickfreakness like this.
  6. JtheHorn

JtheHorn Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2014 Virginia

Oh my god, that would be amazing. Can't get any CC near here.

tkdchampxi likes this.
  7. JtheHorn

JtheHorn Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2014 Virginia

North Carolina! Need big sound and DBH!

8. asams10

asams10 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2014 North Carolina

This would be sweet! Please come to NC Cigar City!

9. stonewall2

stonewall2 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2007 Virginia

NY is one of the highest tax states in the US. I cannot imagine such a decision being made, absent absolutely insane incentives.

The business of beer.

10. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (307) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

Come to Austin, park next to Jester King. Within walking distance, please!

11. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

Hopin for Travelers rest. I'm around that area at least twice a year.

Gvsccraftbeer and karamchandani like this.
  12. Broanoke

Broanoke Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Virginia

is this real life?

malvrich likes this.
  13. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,848) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I don't care where they choose, as long as their beer is readily available around the Carolinas that's fine with me.

14. something_is_brewing

something_is_brewing Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2014 Massachusetts

why don' t we just put all new breweries in NC. That would be.....LAME! seriouslywtf?

ncstateplaya and woodchipper like this.
  15. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Hey now, we share in NC....

Broanoke, surfcaster and russpowell like this.
  16. epyon396

epyon396 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

Shit. Come to PA.
    I'll build them a facility myself in my backyard (I rent in a complex, so I'd have to check my contract for their stance on breweries. I'm sure they'd be cool with it).

17. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Show Founders, Bell's and Great Lakes how it is done and distribute to MD.

18. uvachief

uvachief Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2013 Virginia

Richmond, VA. Take the runner up site that Stone Brewing Company passed over for their new facility. Join Hardywood and the rest of the top end brewers relocating or expanding in Richmond to distribute to the entire east coast and abroad. There is another great facility available in the old Best Products building in Midlothian as well. We need more than Jai Alai in the markets outside of Florida and a few others. Business friendly with low taxes and no labor unions. Great airport with capacity to grow. Right off I95 and the midpoint between Miami and Boston. Norfolk's major international seaport makes distribution to Europe easy. State friendly legislation as well as tax incentives. Come on up!

19. Friendlyfire

Friendlyfire Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Virginia

All I want is ditro into VA that includes more than just Jai Alai. That being said, Jai Alai is amazing.

jcos likes this.
  20. Friendlyfire

Friendlyfire Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Virginia

VA is getting Green Flash and Stone. So not everyone is going to Carolina.

21. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (542) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I'd love to come to NC as it would mean we would get access to some really nice beers. Asheville seems to be getting all the attention due to water and lifestyle but it is NCs central location for distro that really moves it as a location.

22. Boto

Boto Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2003 Connecticut

I'd like to see them open up a facility in PA/NJ/NY area. They could cover the Mid-Atlantic states as well as New England if they set up shop in one of those states. I think their market would be larger than setting up a second brewery in NC.

23. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,442) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I think people are forgetting that Cigar City is not that big of a brewery. Yes, if they were the size of Stone or SN, it would make more sense to expand farther north since they are already in a southern state. Yeah, they're popular amongst the die-hard beer geeks but whenever I ask the casual beer fans that come into the store where I work whether or not they've heard of Cigar City, they always say no. CCB needs to stay somewhat close to home if they want to have a chance to survive. Their name isn't big enough to spread themselves out so thin that their distro footprint wouldn't meet in the middle. In other words, if they built a brewery in NY, they probably wouldn't be able to distribute as far south as the Carolinas and there'd be a gap between Florida and NC. Georgians and South Carolinians would be pissed. NC or even VA are good because they're halfway between FL and Maine so they can rock a good portion of the east coast.

TonyJ815, tkdchampxi and Lare453 like this.
  24. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,817) May 21, 2013 California
    Society Trader

All good points. But for a long term plan it still seems odd. Granted, thinking 10+ years down the road is difficult but it does seem the distribution advantages are nominal and the cost of maintaining two facilities 600 or so miles apart probably are no greater than maintaining two facilities 1,200 miles apart. As someone with very little insight into their business the obvious route forward seems to be expansion of facilities in Tamp first since, as you say, they're not that big BEFORE building a second facility. It sounds odd to plan a second facility when you're NOT that big unless you're going for a brewpub model ... which they aren't.

tkdchampxi likes this.
  25. yankeej13

yankeej13 Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Florida

It would be nice if they could supply FL first with product before moving to other states..

26. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Poo-Bah (1,938) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

Anywhere in SC would be great. NC is already very well off when it comes to breweries and the beer scene in general. Or anywhere in Carolinas, as long as it sees distribution in both states.

Gvsccraftbeer likes this.
  27. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

28. Stezz420

Stezz420 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2014 Illinois

How about chicago? Everyone out here already loves their beer and someone always has some even though you can't get it out here.

Redrover likes this.
  29. basto

basto Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 Utah

Totally agree, would like to see them increase capacity for more than just the core beers in FL.

30. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,442) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Very good point. However, I think their plan to expand into another state stems from the newly passed legislation in Florida that's made it harder on the smaller breweries to distribute. Why expand a facility in the state where they're inhibited when they can just set up shop in another state with more reasonable laws?

ncstateplaya and Kurmaraja like this.
  31. BlumBeer

BlumBeer Initiate (0) May 17, 2012 Florida

If it's anything like it is in Florida, unless you live in the exact city where the brewery will be..don't expect to see too much of anything besides Jai Alai and Florida Cracker....

dennis3951, Lare453 and yankeej13 like this.
  32. ToddThompson

ToddThompson Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012 North Carolina

I cannot accurately express just how happy I would be to have Jai Alai available here !!!!!!!!!!!!

33. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (577) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

If they would just distribute Jai Alai in NC like they say they are going to, that would be enough for me.

34. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Well i've still never had anything from CCB but any good brewery moving in sounds great to me.

35. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado

damn, Asheville is creating a new mecca for beer geeks if they get CCB....

Crim122 likes this.
  36. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (542) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

Well, being BAs an all interested in seeing well liked breweries locate in or near our home states. the comments show that CC would be welcome anywhere they chose to locate. If you look at their current distribution from Seek-a-Brew (http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html) you can see why they are interested in NC. It would add NC to their distribution and allow them to serve parts of the distro area better than from Fl. I believe I read somewhere tat they want to focus the Fl. brewery on serving the Florida market.

37. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Yeah, I say RVA, they've already got that weird distro thing with Brown, so there's a connection with the city already.

38. CHickman

CHickman Poo-Bah (3,919) Jan 7, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Understand your point, but NY Metro area is a huge consumer market. The obstacle of taxation will be a major factor in the new city selection, so putting aside business logic I want them up in NY to have a chance to try some of those renowned stouts and other limited offerings.

39. tigerbeer90

tigerbeer90 Aspirant (247) Apr 27, 2012 South Carolina

Would love to see them come to "TR", North Carolina (especially Asheville) has plenty of great breweries. Let us South Carolinians join in the beer geek fun! :slight_smile:

BMBCLT likes this.
  40. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Is "Carolinas" slang for Ohio?

mccorvey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.