Cigar City Spanish Cedar Jai Alai

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Jun 13, 2020.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (299) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

This may be interesting:

"Cracked black pepper and sandalwood aromas present themselves assertively but compliment the base beer’s tangerine, clementine and citrus peel notes. Balanced and juicy on the palate, caramel-like malt flavor helps temper bitterness and spice from the wood, while the distinct flavor of cedar lingers long on the tongue."

https://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/beer/spanish-cedar-jai-alai/

Available July - September

JohnnyHopps, Peach63, tzieser and 5 others like this.
  2. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (157) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I believe they made it last year as well. Its amazing
    That cedar aroma on the nose was super unexpected and amazing, blew me away how well it worked with the hops they used. Love this kind of IPA aging more than the spirit barrel kind for sure.

3. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,290) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

Had it years ago. It was OK, but didn't really stand out, to me.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  4. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (391) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I've had it, was very good, So is White Oak Jai Alai had one 4 pak this year, honestly thought it much better last year, had several 4 paks. It's like anything else. this Cedar reminded me of an Sierra Nevada Cedar Harvest idk which one, that was amazing. Point is, Jai Alai been around forever, never go wrong. Like to see Sierra Nevada make the Harvest series again.

Blogjackets and ESHBG like this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I'd like to try it if I see it in Casper. The regular sure does kick arse.

Peach63 likes this.
  6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Sounds odd to me but again until I have one why not give it a try. Cedar and beer seem like a weird combo but then again you just never know.

What would have been cool is if the box the beer came in could double as a cheap humidor lol, now that would be a marketing gem.

7. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Defender (694) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

As a cigar smoker and someone that worked in a cigar shop for a long time, I love the smell of Spanish cedar! Will keep an eye out for this. Love me some White Oak so I know this will be right in line.

8. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I also enjoy cigars but I am still curious as to how this will taste. I am not sure how well cedar goes as far as flavor.
    LOL on a side note maybe the aroma will keep some bugs away while sitting out :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

9. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (741) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Would love to know if CT. will be receiving any. I sure hope so.

Seems we just get the basic core brands here...wit, Jai alai, and maduro.

I love White Oak....be nice to see it some time. Spanish Cedar? Hell yeah.

Been in our state a couple years now.....yawn.

10. Beer_Baron87

Beer_Baron87 Initiate (32) Feb 15, 2019 Florida

I believe this is their Humidor Series: IPA rebranded. Very good when I had it and will be picking up a 6 pack when it’s released.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  11. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Meyvn (1,106) May 2, 2010 Ohio

One of my favorites-really unique and delicious.

12. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,683) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I never even saw White Oak around here this year :rolling_eyes:

Hopefully this one shows up. I had a chance to try it quite some time ago and thought it was terrific. Their description is pretty spot on.

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

How sure are you about this? I'll probably grab a single but wasn't a huge fan of the Humidor series or White Oak. For my palate the original has always taken the cake.

maximum12 and Bitterbill like this.
  14. 67couple

67couple Aspirant (253) Jan 31, 2006 South Carolina
    Trader

Had the 110kb3 and it was fantastic. It was 10% where hai Dalai is only 7.5. Hopefully they temper the cedar. The humidor beer struck me as the beer that should definitely represent Tampa history. I hope the jai alai fits that bill. Cheers

15. rousee

rousee Meyvn (1,043) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts

Hitachinos Nest used to make a cedar IPA that I liked quite a bit. Tasted like you wanted to take a bite of it.

mambossa and Bouleboubier like this.
  16. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Meyvn (1,146) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

I'm still holding on to my last bottle, I believe it's from 2011. I had one last year from that same release, and the flavor still held up, like sucking on a piece of cedar in all the right ways. An awesome beer, if you ask me.

17. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,156) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Ah, such a tasty beer. Kinda tough to find fresh so I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Does anyone remember that Green Flash cedar plank pale ale from a few years ago? That beer was delicious; really great use of cedar.

If you enjoy the way cedar smells then you'd enjoy cedar aged Jai Alai, IMO

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  18. shand

shand Meyvn (1,449) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

This is just as good as Humidor Series Jai Alai was. I remember being told that Humidor was initially discontinued because they couldn't find high enough quality Spanish Cedar spirals, glad they were able to sort that out and bring back one of my favorite beers.

19. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Spanish Cedar is related to Mahogany, as actual Cedar is toxic.

I've made homebrew with Spanish Cedar, liked it a bunch. Wanted to do this as I had CCB's beer a few times years back.

Peach63 likes this.
  20. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,389) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

If this is like the humidor series one, I can't wait to get my hands on it again.

21. Beer_Baron87

Beer_Baron87 Initiate (32) Feb 15, 2019 Florida

My apologies for just seeing this.

To answer your question I’m not sure. But reading the descriptions of each beer, they are nearly identical so just assuming it was.

22. shand

shand Meyvn (1,449) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

It is 100% the same beer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3MN8HlT9_/

Jaycase likes this.
  23. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (83) Dec 5, 2019 New York

In NY/Long Island we get a braod range of CC products...this coincided with Oskar merger - and prices are notably lower now. 12 packs for 14.99 and six packs for 9.99