Citra Ass Down worth 16.50 a bottle?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tmbgnicu, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeanMoriarty

DeanMoriarty Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 California

It's a good beer, real good - but no way is it worth that price! Alpine Pure Hoppiness is $10 after tax and is far superior in my opinion. That price you quoted is absolutely ridiculous and a good example of how distributors are gouging markets for IPAs. I highly doubt the brewery is setting that price.

2. dregs78

dregs78 Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 Virginia

Nope not worth it. I was pissed at myself when I took the first sip. Good beer but not worth that.

3. wcu80

wcu80 Devotee (417) Feb 2, 2005 Georgia
    Trader

I don't think it's worth $5.00.

4. Precog640

Precog640 Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2014 Virginia

Good beer but not worth $17-20. I greatly prefer the extra Billy's BBQ citra ass down. Not in bottles though only can get from the brewery in richmond. The brewmaster there is now the head brewmaster of the answer (mekong's new brew pub in richmond, va).

5. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Nope. nope and nope

6. swedishmailman

swedishmailman Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 Georgia

I paid $14.99. It was good, but wouldn't buy it again.

7. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

The brewery sells it to 12% Imports for $6 (give or take). 12% marks it up 25-30% and sells it to a distributor in your state for $8-8.50. Distributor in your state marks it up 25-30% and sells it to a retailer in your state for $10.50-12. Retailer marks it up 25-30% and it ends up on the shelf for somewhere between $14-17.

Keep in mind this is a estimate based on what I know about retail and state-level distributor mark ups here in Oregon. The exact mark up from the brewery > 12% > state distributor may vary, but I'm fairly certain it's close.

CHADMC3 likes this.
  8. scruz

scruz Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2006 Kentucky

Well... I have to say that I'm more than flattered by the thread here. If you don't know, Im Sam Cruz, one of the owners of Against The Grain Brewery in Louisville, KY. I have to say that I'm honored by number of people that have taken a chance on our beers and given them a try. Whether you liked it or not, I really appreciate your giving us a try and I'm always more than comfortable fielding constructive feedback. That said, I would be remiss not to take the opportunity to respond to this thread, as I believe there are some pertinent bits of information that need some clarifying.
    Its obvious that the price of this beer has piqued a number of theories regarding our pricing structure and, as it always is my policy to be transparent, I'm happy to oblige and set the record straight.
    I read a couple of posts indicating an understanding of our distribution method and many that have no basis of understanding. So lets start there. Our current distribution path is through 12% Imports, then to regional/local distributor, then to retailer, then to you. This is indeed a unique path in that we do have an additional layer of distribution. So to you folks who were commenting on that additional cost, you are correct. So why does this drive the cost up? .....Surely someone is padding their pocket, getting richer and richer by the drop.... not really. In reality, the supply chain for our beers is being handled by very well trained and adequate hands, that are set up just for breweries like ours. We are very small and are producing a crazy number of brands. Not only that, our actual volumes that ship are incredibly low. 12% Imports specializes in handling these small volumes to ensure that they are being sold to distributors that have a standard of sales intact that will ultimately ensure that there is a fair distribution of these small volumes of beers....all while maintaining the quality of the product and its original intention. The actual mark up that occurs across the board in this supply chain is typically lower than other distribution models, in that everyone is keenly aware of what valuations these beers should have. But folks, lets keep it real here.... Not only do each of these businesses have to operate with profit motives, but there are also a great number of costs associated with moving beer all over the nation. Shipping is and will always be the biggest contributor to cost, but there are also a number of other factors that make it difficult to price as local product.... but hey, thats why we always push for local consumption. Its best for us all. Believe me, if it were possible to reduce the price and make more product available for everyone, all while helping sustain the number of businesses that are working in the supply chain... it would be done. We'd love to be more competitive that way... I cant think of a brewery that doesnt constantly worry about this idea. But thats not real.
    That said, It's the beer culture that drives breweries to expand territories and feed demand for beers on all corners of the globe. You see, you asked for the beers and we obliged. But the reality is, we have to operate with profit motives. I am one of four owners of my company...we are all brewers (or at one time were), we are all quite young, and we are all trying make it work out. But definitely not for the some of the reasons I've seen posted here. I love beer, my partners love beer, we love to interact and talk with folks who try our beer. Sure we all want to build a business that makes us wealthy, but true story... thats not in the foreseeable future. If it was, I wouldnt be driving the 95 Explorer with duct-tape on the drivers side window to hold it up. The reality is, its for the love of great beer and love beer culture that we've taken the risks to do this and carry on. So to read some of the nasty comments regarding the price and how horrible we are for the circumstance is troubling.
    For those who are offended by the pricing on our beers set by your local retailer, please understand its a rarity that anyone is gouging you. Its just a number of circumstances that makes things work the way they do. So take step a back and remember, its beer. Its craft beer, an industry built on community, cooperation, comradery, discussion, quality, and the simple idea that 'better' is worth it. Its worth the extra work, its worth the extra risk, and its worth the extra cost.... but its not worth the hate or unkind words.... I think Sam Calagione said it.... "Craft Beer is 99.9% asshole free" .... dont be the .1%.
    For those who are in that 99.9% and cant stomach the cost, I understand and accept your opinion. But we all have operate in the black or whats it worth? The best solution for all who are uncomfortable with the distribution pricing, I have this to offer.... an invitation. You should come out to Louisville, KY and experience AtG beers, as well as our friends at the other local breweries here. Its an open door always. See you then!

Best
    Sam

zid and BullDoza like this.
  9. zid

zid Meyvn (1,282) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

It's good to have you chime in Sam.
    Thanks for the beers. I'd love to take you up on the invite at some point - yours is a US brewery that I would travel to. I never pass on AtG when I catch something on tap in NYC - and I actively seek it out. An unfortunate outcome of the bottle sales outside of KY, is that the AtG focus on this website has shifted from discussions on how good 70k is to how expensive the various bottles are. It would be good to have the pendulum swing back (but not by losing the beer!) All the best and keep brewing.

10. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,776) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

ATG started showing up in Madison, WI at the end of 2013. Almost every bottle is priced at $15+ and I have yet to buy one. The reason is that there are very few beers worthy of that price tag when you look at everything that is on the shelf in Madison. The beer could be fantastic, but there are so many other great beers for so much less, so it does not make sense.

#90 Ri0, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.