Citra Hops...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by davey101, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,230) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

The ZD you got was probably old. I find that if you leave 'em in the closet for a few weeks, they still smell just as good but the taste falls off a cliff. It gets really weird and definitely doesn't taste quite as good.

2. krl2112

krl2112 Crusader (705) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Hey bro don't feel like the odd man out. I don't see what all the fuss is either about hoppy brews. I could not even get through a ZD. Everyone's different. Maybe our taste buds will change in the future. The only hoppy brew I somewhat enjoy so far has been PtE. But I am getting some Heady this weekend so I am excited to experience it as well. Whether I like something or not, I look forward to the experience.

davey101 likes this.
  3. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Aspirant (258) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Im a citra whore. Love them. One of the best showcases ive found was Crooked Staves Brett D'or dry hopped with citra. I contemplated breaking in after hours and filling growlers.

davey101 likes this.
  4. davey101

davey101 Meyvn (1,114) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Was my year old drunken thread just bumped :confused:

I am a bit of a hop head (sipping on Hill Farmstead S&S 6 presently) but hop varieties are so varied in aromas and flavors that its impossible to like them all. Heady is an amazing beer, just so well balanced while still being full of hoppy goodness. Curious to see your thoughts on it if you're not a big IPA fan. I feel like that beer could convert people who are anti-bitter face.

Oh and I recently had Kern Citra. Great balance and crazy drinkable....but the hype/difficulty of trading for it makes zero sense to me. I've also since had a very fresh ZD and again....eh, good but not great. Nelson Sauvin > Citra.

5. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin

I was always interesten in trading for Zombie Dust as I am in WI and we will never see bottles of it... Then I heard people say Toppling Goliaths Pseudoe Sue was better in some peoples opinion and because I love TG so much I thought I would give it a try and I got the same thing I get from all Citra beers.... That astringent taste that I just do not care for... I guess it is good for me, as every one else is chasing the citra beers I will grab all the other stuff!

6. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (2,612) Oct 19, 2010 California

I get a pot more cat piss in heavily Nelson-hopped beers. But I'm usually strangely OK with it.

MrOH likes this.
  7. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

I have a love hate thing with Citra, and find that its flavor turns bad really early on, though I don't have the beer geek insight to say that with any sense of validity. I'm pretty sure I don't like citra beers when they are a single hop sort.

8. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

I totally agree

9. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Initiate (0) May 14, 2009 Kentucky

Citra is my go to blow your mind home brew hop

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  10. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Yup, Citra shouldn't smell/taste like cat pee, that's Nelson Sauvin.

Like Evil Twin Katz Pis

11. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado

Please send me all that dank nasty zombie dust. I'll pour it down my sink personally.

VonZipper likes this.
  12. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,052) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

I live for hops and Citra hops make me very, very happy.

fgilbert2 and Tchfunkta like this.
  13. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (338) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

Old thread,...the more things change, the more they are the same. I like Citra hops, but not alone in an IPA because I think it needs something else to keep the cat pee/spoiled grapefruit taste out of it. Simcoe is a very good one to mix with Citra, IMHO

14. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,694) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

I got a sixpack of Zombie Dust and thought it was just alright. I've had five of the six now, and I've decided it's an awesome beer. Not 100/100 awesome, but relatively close to it.

15. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

My take on Citra is I like the tropical flavor aspect of it, but I don't like the cat pee aspect of it. If you do, you would probably call it dank instead of cat pee. I think it makes a great 20-10 minute tropical flavor addition, but don't care for it as a single hop brew, nor do I like to dry hop or bitter with it.

That being said, I can drink Zombie Dust, but don't think it's great, just good. Citra also seems to fade and change over a relatively short period of time compared to a lot of other hops.

VonZipper likes this.
  16. Coirm

Coirm Initiate (119) Dec 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Just tried tasted a 5 week old ZD against 5 day old. Unbelivable difference. The old ZD was like drinking a different beer. I get from brewery so I know how old the beers were. Had some friends blind taste and couple couldn't believe it was same beer. Fresh it's amazing.

17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,350) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Citra is a crazy hop, and its flavors are volitile at best. I brewed an apa using magnum to bitter and citra for aroma and flavor. The first two weeks it was undrikable. After about two months in the bottle it tasted like mint and mangoes, wound up bringing home a gold medal with it. This last go round I used cascade with it in hopes of cutting through the citra "cattiness", one month in the bottles and it hasn't hit that magic mango flavor yet. Who knows if it will? Citra seems to be a moody bitch of a hop, but when she wants to be she can be the best thing out there...
    On a side note I enjoyed my last apa and cracked open a myrcenary right after, and the myrcenary tasted like old stewed tomatoes and onions after the citra beatdown my palate had just received.

18. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

Totally believe you. It's crazy how fast that beer changes. One of my favorites when fresh though.

19. powz87

powz87 Aspirant (209) Jan 18, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I'm not the biggest fan of it anymore. I think I'm just burned out. My new love is galaxy hops now.

20. DanzBorin

2 months is the limit for ZD tasting anything like ZD.

After that its a shell of itself, but still not awful.

21. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

Yessss! Passionfruit and hoppyness that is relatively stable. Great hop.

22. tgchief

tgchief Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Iowa

We have a very strict glass washing routine that has never included Dawn or lemon Dawn. What you are tasting is Mikes ability to bring the very essence of the Citra to to your taste buds.....ie you said to tasted lemon.....it is the citra hop......lemon is a citrus friut.....see where this is going? Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers.

23. BigCheese

BigCheese Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Yea galaxy is awesome. Slumbrews Flagraiser IPA is a good one near me(boston) that features it.

You know any good commercial examples?

powz87 likes this.
  24. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Devotee (414) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

I didn't have it at your brewpub, but regardless I don't think it really was the dishsoap anyway.

Thanks for YOUR feedback, hope to make it down to Decorah soon and check out your place. I just need to find a ride back. :slight_smile:

25. powz87

powz87 Aspirant (209) Jan 18, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Pipeworks Galaxy Unicorn has to be my favorite IPA/DIPA that I have had in the last year. I also had Widmer Brothers Galaxy Hopped Barleywine.

26. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Devotee (490) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

That's it!

All this pseudoSue talk has convinced me to get a growler filled in Hudson tomorrow. When are you going to a) start bottling it, and b) start distributing to MN? To quote Jaqen H'ghar, "A man does not have any preference. A man likes them all."

For some stupid reason, I am holding out hope that there will be a couple of bottles of Naughty Temple still available.

27. TgBC

TgBC Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2011 Iowa

Hope you make the trip and hope we can make it a great time for you!

Cheers,
    Mike

28. TgBC

TgBC Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2011 Iowa

Bottling? Very, very soon.
    To Minnesota? Working on it! Good luck in Hudson tomorrow!

29. Iheartbarleywines

Iheartbarleywines Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2013 Illinois

Boner

That's all i have to say about Citra hops

30. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

Not sure if i'm a fan of citra hops, but I do love me some Zombie Dust. (Though it's not as life-changing as some would have you believe. It's a fantastic pale ale (tastes like an over-ripened orange).

31. pdoran10

pdoran10 Disciple (355) Jun 30, 2009 Minnesota

Deschutes Hop Henge and Sam Adams Latitude 48 have Mosiac going on this year and are super tasty. I would encourage everyone to pick some up.

32. stayclean

stayclean Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

Sure wish changing my damn cat's litter box smelled nearly as good as any glass of Zombie Dust I've had on tap. :wink:

smutty33 and kbuzz like this.
  33. akakii

akakii Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 Virginia

My brother smells cat piss in Citra hops. I read somewhere that up to 15% of people get that smell (I'd cite the source if I could remember it). Thankfully I don't smell cat in it.

34. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

oh good.. i'm glad this thread went up.. now i dont have to worry about a 4 hour line at the next release :stuck_out_tongue:

35. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Yes, its a moody bitch of a hop as someone said previously.

I have brewed quite a few ipa's with citra and different american citrusy hops and I think it works better either by itself or if you only use a little to change the profile of other hops or mostly citra with a small % of something else to change the citra character. Whenever I have tried using it as a substantial addtion with others, or equally with others, it just seems to kill the hop character of all the hops involved and turns it into a mild melon like flavor. I prefer it use it by itself for dryhopping which gives the most depth of flavor that seems to hit your palate differently everyday - I never got cat pee like in simcoe, but more of a herbally cattail (that grow in swampy areas) flavor. When used in combo, I prefer centennial or chinook and use less than 20% or more than 80% citra. YMMV

36. seplo

seplo Aspirant (288) Sep 8, 2009 Connecticut

Dude being from CT, I'd figure you'd be all over Fuzzy Baby Ducks, that's all citra...CHEERS

37. DanzBorin

I would be... :slight_smile:

seplo likes this.
  38. spookyspeeg

spookyspeeg Initiate (86) Feb 18, 2013 Connecticut

Being from CT I can attest to the amazingness of Fuzzy Baby Ducks, and I have no idea what you guys are talking about with "cat piss"

39. keenan41

keenan41 Aspirant (240) Jun 20, 2005 New York
    Trader

I'm all about Citra. Just attempted a clone of Zombie Dust with basically all Citra (10 oz) and an oz of Nelson. Came very close to expectations. Not overly hoppy, very aromatic and tasty.

40. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm not sure I've ever taken note of citra hops. What are some citra-forward beers I might seek out? Please don't say Zombie Dust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.