Citra Hops...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by davey101, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Initiate (0) May 14, 2009 Kentucky

Schlafly TIPA is another

2. MrDave

MrDave Disciple (385) Jan 23, 2013 California
    Trader

If you are talking about KRBC's Citra, then I think you might be turned off by their use of Simcoe hops. Let me ask you this: What do you think of Alpine's Duet or Lagunitas Sucks?

3. jstilwell

jstilwell Zealot (573) Oct 21, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

"but I do not like Abrasive"

first time, I've ever heard that....EVER!!!!!!

4. Padraig

Padraig Initiate (122) Jan 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

5. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Mosaic is the SHIT. I want to do a Sculpin clone and dry hop it with a little bit of Mosaic to accentuate the Simcoe/Amarillo

kbuzz likes this.
  6. rails

rails Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 California

KRBC"s Citra doesn't have Simcoe in it

7. MrDave

Trader

shit, you're right; disregard

8. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 California

It has amarillo

9. Jettanbass9

Jettanbass9 Aspirant (275) Sep 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

It's funny this is coming to the surface again...

Hops need to be harvested, dried and properly packaged and used relatively quickly. So much is at the liberty of the farmer. If the hops are harvested hops are used before their maturity, picked too late or stored in less than ideal conditions, the end result can taste vegetal, oniony, overly grassy, cheesy or stale. Not to mention, the oil composition of the hop changes from year to year based on the growing conditions and age of the plant.

Brewers who are known to have good relationships with good farmers tend to get the best product. Unfortunately, there is only so much yield to go around. Couple that with production expectations and the brewer may be forced to purchase from another source (one with unknown conditions and variables) and you now could have a lesser quality product. This is not to say that there is not a ton of quality product out there but, the original product (beer) could end up being lost in translation.

When it comes down to it the talent of the brewer is just as important as the talent of the farmer. Citra seems to be in just about everything these days... I would question how it was possible to meet the demand so quickly and keep the integrity of characteristic. The same goes for Nelson Sauvin, Summit and a select few other new hops.

kemoarps likes this.
  10. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (708) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Amen to that!

Cheers

11. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from man. I just had my first Zombie Dust and it smelled and tasted like a mix of cat piss and onion. I smell and taste the citrus notes but not nearly as much as the cat piss and onion. If I get flogged for saying this, so be it. You're definitely not alone, though.

KS1297 and davey101 like this.
  12. MrDave

Trader

Fuck all that noise! Keep the Citra coming! Been enjoying the hell out of it the last couple months. Drake's Aroma Coma, Knee Deep's Simtra IIPA and Citra Extra Pale, GF's Hop Odyssey Citra Session...I can't get enough!

13. MCain04

MCain04 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Texas

Two words: Citra Ninja. Major Citra bomb, a must try for juicy DIPA lovers.

evoljetta, ERRL710, YogiBeer and 5 others like this.
  14. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,029) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yup, definitely agreed. I've seen this compared to Zombie Dust, but it's way bigger, and wayyyy more Citra!

15. jman005

jman005 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Kentucky

SN Torpedo is dry hopped with Citra

creal92 and jerkstore81 like this.
  16. jsdavis422

jsdavis422 Initiate (0) May 15, 2012 Minnesota

FYI, Wet isn't Citra anymore, it was Simcoe last year and this year it's Centennial. But otherwise I 100% agree with you... Citra rocks. Psuedo Sue is also a shining example.

VonZipper likes this.
  17. kennyg

kennyg Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Illinois

I brewed an IPA with Chinook for bittering, late addition and dry hop plus some Mosaic in the dry hop as well. Can't say if it was the Chinook, Mosaic or combination but that was the best beer I've made by far and I can't wait to brew it again.

18. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

Is it just me or does Greenflash use a lot of citra?

Geuzedad likes this.
  19. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

If you know what gooseberry tastes like you are probably a liar

20. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

I think to the contrary, but I may be wrong

21. SudsTerkel

SudsTerkel Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2012 Colorado

Just had several "Tommy Boys" from the Library Brewery in Winter, Park, CO, which is a Citra IPA. The best I've had since Thirsty Dog's in Akron. Perhaps not for everybody so that means more for me!

22. mental1

mental1 Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Virginia

I just want to know how so many people know what cat piss tastes like.

redeemer, Kyrojack, jamvt and 10 others like this.
  23. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Devotee (490) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

I'm not always a huge fan of Citra, but the Citra version of Wet is the one I have enjoyed most. That one was really outstanding.

24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,867) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Kern Citra, HF Susan is a Citra blend, but the nose and finish IMO is all Citra. HF Double Citra.

25. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

I have no idea. I'm not entirely sure what a citra hop note is.

I just assumed that they did, since their citra session ipa has the same pronounced strong hop note, that a lot of their beers have (west coast ipa, le freak).

26. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Zealot (537) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

LOL So many 3fff HATERS! Is Zombie Dust the bomb? No, but It is good beer. Not my fav 3ff beer, but I will not hate on it.

27. jman005

jman005 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Kentucky

It has a strong fruity, citrus and marmalade. Don't think Green Flash uses it in many of there beers other than the citra session and maybe le freak.

creal92 likes this.
  28. evolale

evolale Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2013 Illinois

29. APB

APB Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2012 Nebraska

I have to disagree as I am a huge fan of Pale Ale and have tried many different Pales but nothing comes quite close to being as good and completely put together as Zombie Dust!!!! I have tried all 3 Floyds Pales and IPA and it is easily the best one. Curiously what do you like better from 3 Floyd's? Apocalypse cow, Arctic Panzer Wolf, Alpha King and Rye Da Tiger are all great to say the least but Zombie Dust clearly takes the cake!!!! As you may notice I'm only comparing Pale Ales and IPA's by 3 Floyd's to Zombie Dust because you cannot compare stouts and other types of beers ect. to Pales or IPA because they are completely different. Dark Lord is a wonderful beer by 3 Floyd's but once again is not a Pale or IPA thus it cannot be compared to Zombie Dust. As far as competing Pales or IPA that are close in taste, IBU and color Two Hearted, Lake Front IPA and possibly Ghandi Bot are the closest and they are no where near as good as Zombie Dust….. Not to bust you chops but I couldn't hold back from retorting to that bold comment and please respond with what beer you are referencing being better I'm just interested!!!

-Cheers and please no hard feelings I'm not trying to start an argument just once again very curious as to what beer you are referencing :slight_smile:

30. APB

In no way does Citra Ninja "Blow ZD out of the water" and if you ask me there are hardly even comparable. Citra Ninja is a great beer with a mind-blowing amount of citra hops but they are completely different beers starting with the fact that CN is an American Double/ Imperial IPA.

BT_Bobandy likes this.
  31. Evileye68

Evileye68 Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 Connecticut

just had Green Flash "Citra" session ale on tap last night .. it was quite tasty ..

camartin27, Roudy and MrDave like this.
  32. APB

- The citra Ninja has a huge amount of Citra hops which are very noticeable, kinda funny but a friend mentioned it tasting like "cat piss" which i've personally never tasted but after him saying that I agreed that it did have a odd but amazing aroma LOL

-Cheers

33. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

I don't lol. But, I know what cat piss smells like and I smell that same familiar scent when I smelled Zombie Dust. The taste is like garlic/onion-y, with a dank strange taste. It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what that taste is, but it's definitely not grapefruit-y or orange-y at all.

mental1 likes this.
  34. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

Thirsty Dog: Citra Dog
    - Delicious.

ChipMurray and jeevo like this.
  35. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,029) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Having never actually tasted cat piss, I can’t say for certain, but I was sipping a slightly warmed glass of Citra Ninja trying to find that taste, and I think that there’s an aroma the hops give off that can remind one (very mildly) of the scent of the pheromones/ammonia in cat pee. With that being said, it’s not a scent/taste I personally get from it, but everyone interprets things differently, so I can’t rule it out. I’ve also heard others here say that there are certain tastes that women interpret differently than men, so maybe that’s part of it as well?

Also, in regards to your earlier question about Zombie Dust vs. the rest of FFF’s beers, I’m also not sure it’s my favorite of their beers, either; I’d say it’s between Dreadnaught, Alpha King, and ZD (for the record, I haven’t tried Dark Lord, although I prefer IPAs/DIPAs, so it probably still wouldn’t be my favorite). I like Citra Ninja better than ZD because it has so much more edge to it; you’re right though, they’re different types of beers, so not entirely comparable. I prefer heavier beers (I drink mostly DIPAs), and Citra Ninja has more pronounce citra hops (which I love), so it’s a no-brainer for me.

camartin27 and APB like this.
  36. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,451) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

4MMP is the compound that results in the cat pee aroma if one is sensitive and the level is high, if sensitivity is low and levels are not too high, 4MMP is sensed as pine nd tropical fruit. 4MMP is at higher levels in Simcoe, citra, and other new world hops.

My wife gets cat pee out of Simcoe beers, I get pine.

BrettHead and charlzm like this.
  37. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,151) Sep 3, 2007 California

Funny, I have heard "cat piss" and "onions" mentioned in this thread with regards to Citra hops. I always equated cat piss with Simcoe and onions with Summit.

s_wit likes this.
  38. evolale

evolale Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2013 Illinois

I thought we where talking Citra hops? Don't get me wrong, Zombie Dust is a amazing beer and still my favorite. But I was referring to the Citra hop intensity and upfrontness, so to speak, of Citra ninja. You don't get that w ZD. Yes 2 different beers, both amazing in their category. But if someone asked me to define the essence of citra hops it would best be demonstrated w CN. Again just my opinion.

39. vshay

vshay Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

Just brewed an IPA with citra. Friends won't stop drinking it. Time to brew another batch

spookyspeeg likes this.
  40. Schmoozer

Schmoozer Initiate (111) Nov 15, 2008 Michigan
    Industry

Simcoe = cat piss, summit = onions and garlic depending on how it's used.

Citra is similar to Simcoe, but each has it's own flavors and uses.

I get more grapefruit from Simcoe, and Mango from Citra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.