Citra Hops...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by davey101, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkrkr27

punkrkr27 Disciple (379) Feb 24, 2006 Michigan

This is my guess too. I have noticed the odd savory flavor but it's usually in Citra hopped beers that are a little old. That does seem to be the big downfall of Citra. It goes off in flavor pretty quickly.

2. APB

APB Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2012 Nebraska

I must not have made myself clear but I compleatly agree with you Citra Ninja is an explosion of in your face Citra Hops :slight_smile:

3. BeerDunson

BeerDunson Initiate (127) Jul 20, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

White Rajah!

Lipsntoes and BradenMK like this.
  4. AstronautMikeDexter

AstronautMikeDexter Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Indiana

Either you got an old bottle or your taste buds are broken, because ZD is the exact opposite of everything you just wrote.

5. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

Well, my taste buds aren't broken, and the bottle was bottled no more than a month ago.

6. teraflx

teraflx Defender (652) Feb 4, 2013 Arizona
    Society

Got to get my Citra fix! Just snagged a bunch of bottles of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed a few days ago as a matter of fact.

evolale and Geuzedad like this.
  7. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

You're right I only know what passion fruit taste like and not gooseberry. Passionfruit/gooseberry is how it was introduced to me and it still makes since. A much lighter/smoother taste than your typical citrus taste.

8. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

Just had Green Flash Citra on tap at the Yard House. Damn fine beer, absolutely fantastic. I hope they decide to bottle it.

9. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Initiate (183) Apr 4, 2007 Illinois

Citra is probably my favorite Hop by far. Zombie Dust tastes like a variety of hops were used, but it's just Citra.

10. kennyg

kennyg Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Illinois

Dreadnaught

DanzBorin and APB like this.
  11. spookyspeeg

spookyspeeg Initiate (86) Feb 18, 2013 Connecticut

I picked up a growler of fresh Gandhi Bot last night and it was pretty amazingly fantastic. I can not wait for their supply of Citra hops to come in so they can get crankin on Fuzzy Baby Ducks.

12. APB

APB Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2012 Nebraska

I've not heard of the Fuzzy Baby Ducks but I also look forward to the rush of great fresh hop brews that are soon to follow harvest!!
    -Cheers

spookyspeeg likes this.
  13. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (383) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

you know, this makes sense to me, based on a Belgian pale/IPA (kind of a tweener, 45 IBU but big knockout addition and dryhopped w/ Citra & Centennial) I homebrewed. It definitely isn't as good at 6 weeks from tapping as it was at 1-4 weeks. Fortunately not much left.

Question: why is there so much of this around, and Amarillo is still MIA (not so much for homebrewers but definitely for commercial brewers)? They must've planted a shitload of this stuff. And it must be hardy as hell.

14. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Defender (608) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

White Rajah (only available in OH i think) is mostly comprised of Citra Hop along with Amarillo and another I forget at the moment.

A lot of citra beers taste bland to me...I love the hop style, but best used in combination with others IMO. A dominate citra IPA all kind of taste the same to me...meh. Just my opinion though.

15. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Zealot (537) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

Its all good, Like I said I like Zombie Dust, in fact, my buddy just dropped me off a six pack. As for my favorite 3ff beer, hard to say, but I have always been a huge fan of Dreadnaught!

APB likes this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,939) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Me too, and add Mosaic to that list too of cat piss, Citra is heavy sharp grapefruit. Love Citra, the others are ok as a blend , but don't stand alone quite as well to my palate at least.

17. nc41

Trader

ZD isn't bland, neither is HF Double Citra, or Kern Citra, HF Susan tastes likes it heavily hopped with Citra, everyone is outstanding. Susan is a blend the rest are pure Citra.

18. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,151) Sep 3, 2007 California

When I brew, I like to use Citra as a dry hop or a flame-out hop. For instance, I just made a strong IPA with Warrior for bittering, Pacific Gem and Nelson Sauvin for flavor near the end of the boil and a little Citra added for dry hopping only.

Too much Citra isn't a good thing, I think.

In fact, single hop beers in general are interesting, but I find I like multiple hop beers better. Possible exception: Crystal Hero.

BT_Bobandy likes this.
  19. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

just had Green Flash' Citra Session on tap. single hopped, low abv. great beer. and fresh!! $8/ 16oz glass.

20. BrandonOakes

BrandonOakes Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

I don't know, I just had one and I barely drank it. I felt like I was back in high school and the body odor of the locker room was rung into i glass.

Lipsntoes likes this.
  21. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (612) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Permanent Funeral. Big boy zombie dust

22. AstronautMikeDexter

AstronautMikeDexter Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Indiana

Man I hope they make that again. That was fantastic. And I only bought one bomber.

23. nc41

Trader

Citra = cat piss? I don't think so , more fruit and bitter grapefruit. ZD is an all Citra PA, and it's anything but cat pissy. Simcoe and Mosaic are cat pissy in and by themselves, better in a blend IMO.

24. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

To each their own, Chief.. Some folks think HopSlam's one of the best IPA's out there. I STRONGLY disagree. Maybe you just really aren't into IPA's (or at least those kind). Thats the general of most good ones. They kinda stink. -
    If everything tasted the same to everyone..there wld only be one kind of all styles . Trust me, I like the "Dog"..I also know what I like. And there is No doubt..I also consider myself a bit of an IPA aficionado, as there are many different spectrums of them. I like the pungent fruity ones best that kinda smell like musty blue cheese & linger in your mouth for awhile, ones u can almost chew. I'll even favor ones that taste straight up like you are chewing on a joint. The more stinky the better too. I also grow Hops (Organic Cascade) right now, every now and again I throw a flower in my bttm lip, like a dip of chew. Most folks cant handle that one either :wink:
    My Fav hop Variety is Simcoe..Which you wld probly Hate. - Talk about stinky ..& blue cheesy !

Ya like what ya like though.
    -Cheers everyone!

25. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,465) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

It depends on your sensitivity to the aroma compound. It depends on how the hop is used in the beer. It depends on how late the hop was harvested.

My wife gets cat piss from Citra and Simcoe, not so much for Mosaic. I have a higher tolerance for that compound and pick it up as pine and tropical fruit, unless it is really high.

ChipMurray likes this.
  26. ChipMurray

ChipMurray Disciple (364) May 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

I can understand why it's described in those terms, but I also perceive Simcoe and Citra as lovely in scent and taste. That's as single hop varieties or hop blends. So it's probably down to genetics, mood, or palate that a 'cat piss' smell is perceived.
    That is the general consensus of this thread, no?

27. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,465) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Which is what Stan Hieronymus says in ths article. His book is pretty good, too.

http://allaboutbeer.com/live-beer/brewing/ingredients/2013/05/a-taste-for-hops/

ChipMurray likes this.
  28. DinoFight

DinoFight Initiate (127) Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

Deschutes Fresh Sqeezed. Damn I love that beer.

29. BrandonOakes

BrandonOakes Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

I completely understand. I am more of a hefe drinker myself, but I am trying to expand my palate and enjoy different things. I do enjoy most IPAs, this one just didn't hit the mark for me. To each his own though, I am sure after trying more of the style I can come to like and appreciate them more.

baconman91 likes this.
  30. racer2k

racer2k Devotee (417) May 21, 2004 Massachusetts

Love 'em!!!

31. josephball

josephball Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2012 Kentucky

Is cat piss and onion a bad thing?

32. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

It's not exactly what I'd like in my beer lol. It's weird but after the first ZD I had, I tried another about a week later and thought I smelled and tasted a different beer. It must've been something I ate that night or something like that when I had my first ZD. Who knows. Either way, I've changed my opinion on it, and think it is a really delicious beer. I probably don't make any sense but, whatever.

33. C_Roetting

C_Roetting Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2013 Kentucky

The ones that come to mind that aren't Zombie Dust.

Against the Grain "Citra Ass Back Down"
    Dark Horse "Artic Dekoorc Eert"
    Citra Dog

34. MichPaul

MichPaul Zealot (553) Jan 28, 2012 Michigan

I'm about right here. Don't know how any beer fan that loves citrus flavors doesn't fall in love with ZD and other Citra only beers. The only thing I could chalk that up to is bad bottles...
    Stuff's amazing!

JM03 likes this.
  35. camartin27

camartin27 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Ohio

Truth. Love the Schlafly TIPA!

36. camartin27

camartin27 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Ohio

Citra Dog by Thirsty dog...my opinion has the great citra taste...not so Zombie dust flave....

ChipMurray likes this.
  37. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Cat piss is a bad thing. Onion not so much as long as it's not too much.

ChipMurray likes this.
  38. C_Roetting

C_Roetting Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2013 Kentucky

Cat piss is definitely an off flavor.

39. nc41

Trader

Mosaic and Simcoe which are cousins I get to be be dank when used in and by themselves, I don't even begin to get that trait with Citra. I've had pure Citra brews and they were all bright and fruity, toned down on the pure bitter, but I also like it with a blend too. HF made a Double Citra that was amazing, and ZD is all Citra obviously, Kern Citra is amazing, fresh they're anything but dank and pissy. There's a brew bar in Durham that made an all Mosaic hop IPA, and I most definitely didn't like it, same with Double Simcoe. Better hop to blend to my taste anyways.

40. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (212) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Yea, I don't get any citra notes in WCIPA or their other hoppy beers at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.