Citra Hops...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by davey101, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josephball

josephball Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2012 Kentucky

"No descriptors used in The Chronicle Wine section raise as much hair on the back of reader necks as "cat pee" and "sweat." They appear, as they do today, in our tasting panel comments on Sauvignon Blancs from the Marlborough region of New Zealand. In addition to the wines' fresh citrus and passion fruit characteristics and brisk acidity, some have what Kiwi winemakers consider "true Marlborough" hints of armpit (slightly musky) and cat pee (a pungently "perfumed" mix of herbs, asparagus, green bean and bell pepper)." San Francisco Chronicle.

It's only bad if you didn't intend for it to be there or if you just don't like "cat piss" aromas. Although this little piece is talking about wine, it is still relevant.

2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,943) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Fruity and marmalade sounds like centennial .

3. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Defender (608) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

Thirsty Dog Citra is everywhere by me...sounds like I need to pick some up. Thirsty Dog Wulver and BA Siberian Night were excellent this year (off topic, but I'm gonna plug them anyway).

baconman91 likes this.
  4. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Defender (608) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

"Hints of Armpit" ?????

I'm going to say that at my next tasting!! Just to F-ing say it!!!

gopens44 and josephball like this.
  5. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

Thats cool..I feel u totally. I started my IPA journey a handful of yrs ago. Its funny, the ones I used to hate, I now love. There are so many different kinds of them out there, its Laughable. But don't ever stop trying them, all different characteristics & hop spectrums. To be honest thats about my Fav style of beer anymore. Seems like I'm always buying IPA's of sorts. None of them taste the same (ones similar, but...). Someone could have a website of just IPA's, there as Fu**ing many or more than anything else! Once that Hoppy **it grabs u..its hard to want any other kind almost.
    Not sure what you've had & hadn't but..
    -Sierra Nevada Torpedo (2xIPA) is probly one of the best IPA's out there, esp. 4 the $$.
    -Victory Hop Devil
    -Victory Hop Wallop
    -Stone IPA

..just to name a few, I could write 5 pages of IPA rec. for u really.
    Depends on what u like tho too....the Roasty kind of IPA's or the Floral kind of IPA's
    perfect example is the difference between Dogfish 60 & the more roasty Dogfish 90.
    I think the 60 is more well rounded, a bit bttr & more drinkable. Tho the 90 is really good too..some think this ones bttr.

6. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (394) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I do like Citra hops - I had the Duvel Triple Hop - citra last year and it was fantastic. I've used it a few times in homebrewing and really enjoyed the results. However, l think that a single hop beer with it could get to be a bit much, especially with the over-the-top hopping rates prevalent today. IMO it does need another variety to balance it out. I'm kinda partial to mixing a piney variety like Chinook or Simcoe, or an earthy one like a Noble, for example (but NOT both families) as a counterpoint to the extreme citrus of Citra.

7. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (2,463) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

I get tons of citrus in pseudoSue. Some grapefruit and orange and a lot of tangerine with some mango notes. Incredible beer! Never had anything quite like it before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.