Class of 2016: 34 of the Best New Breweries in the US

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Jan 9, 2017.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (17,470) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

From seasoned pros starting highly anticipated new projects to industry newcomers nailing classic styles in small towns, we profile 34 of the best new breweries to open their doors in 2016.

Read the full article: Class of 2016: 34 of the Best New Breweries in the US

#1 BeerAdvocate, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
    smutty33 likes this.
  2. KevSal

KevSal Savant (908) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

i'm shocked by the amount of new breweries this year.

look forward to trying some of the breweries on this list!

Keene likes this.
  3. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,135) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Great group! Happy to see River Roost make it, and Foam too! Both are really great additions to the New England scene.

Keene likes this.
  4. NicDacey

NicDacey Aspirant (251) Mar 1, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Foam is absolutely killing it with their offerings. They 100% deserve to be on everyone's 2016 list.

rails and Keene like this.
  5. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,650) Dec 10, 2002 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

Happy to see Beer Lab HI on there!

Keene likes this.
  6. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Aspirant (223) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Just can't agree with Wolves and People being on that list. Aside from the beer being only average to good for the region, they took in a bunch of money many months (years?) ago from cellar society members through kickstarter, have totally horrifcally failed on the communication front, and haven't been able to hold on to brewers. They represent a lot of what is wrong with the craft beer world today, IMVHO.

Badfish and distantmantra like this.
  7. Biscuit073

Biscuit073 Initiate (114) May 5, 2008 Texas

Can't believe Eureka Heights Brew Co. in Houston did not make the list.

8. Unmakable

Unmakable Initiate (117) Mar 9, 2016 Illinois

I fully expected to see Narrow Gauge on this list and was not disappointed. They deserve it.

leonardoh03, FBarber and Keene like this.
  9. gandalfcat

gandalfcat Initiate (135) Nov 28, 2009 California

Homage Brewing in Pomona, CA is outstanding. Well deserved honor!

10. Mantooth

Mantooth Meyvn (1,141) Dec 6, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Bond Brothers Beer Co. in Cary, North Carolina? A reason to visit Cary! Sweet. Good stuff!

Keene and dbrauneis like this.
  11. ScottBrianB

ScottBrianB Aspirant (230) Oct 10, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Pine cone in a can seems to be the running theme at most of these places. Need to see more porters and creativity with amber ales, rather than seeing who can "out hop" the other

12. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (683) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff Subscriber

I won't totally disagree, but to be fair, there are quite a few spots included that you might find palate pleasing. And I'd say Saisons, sours, and mixed-fermentation farmhouse ales also appear to be all the rage, too.

Badfish, JISurfer and dbrauneis like this.
  13. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,650) Dec 10, 2002 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

Agreed. TBH I didn't read the entire list, but I know a lot about Beer Lab. Not only are they doing the NE haze thing, but some of their cornerstone beers are saisons and porters. They've actually got their first collab coming up, an Imperial Stout with 3 Chiefs.

A friend of mine that visited in October, who also works in the Seattle beer scene, told me that they could run with the big boys there. Obviously, their only problem is availability. For now, you won't find them anywhere off island, unless somebody shipped a crolwer (like I do occasionally).

14. VelvetHammered

VelvetHammered Initiate (14) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

I imagined I would see at least one brewery from Texas on the list. Oh well...maybe next time.

15. benheredunthat

benheredunthat Initiate (128) Jul 4, 2015 California

Thank you so much for completely ignoring San Diego, again. BA seems to actually goes out of it's way to edit this area from any articles and features so that you would possibly believe we aren't here any more. Do you realize that San Diego is to thank for the brewery resurgence? Guess not. Afterall, it's just one city, in the most populous state in the Union. How many other cities have 134+ breweries? *crickets*

16. Todd

Todd Founder (5,344) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

For some context, we had room to cover only 34 (under 4%) of the 861 new breweries that opened in the US during 2016.
    San Diego (no question, a great city) has seen it's share of coverage in the mag, but it's a big beer world out there. And this might come as a shock to you, but the beer world doesn't revolve around San Diego.

Welcome to the rest of us. We've been waiting for you.

17. Keene

Staff Subscriber

Although there are certainly other new breweries worthy of a mention, we don't include a spot from every state in our annual round-up. Which breweries caught your attention last year? And by the way, lest you think we don't pay any attention to the Lone Star State, keep an eye out for the February issue...

Badfish, calzaretta and frognot like this.
  18. doner24

doner24 Initiate (86) Apr 16, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Modist has no business being on this list, their beer has been mediocre at best and this comes from a member there.

19. freeballard

freeballard Initiate (140) Oct 21, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

I was about to gripe about my new favorite breweries not being on the list but I appreciate how hard it is to narrow down a list like this to only 34...

Badfish likes this.
  20. Keene

Staff Subscriber

And those favorites were?

21. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,055) Oct 7, 2009 New York

Some of these guys sound so full of shit when they talk. Makes me roll my eyes.

22. freeballard

freeballard Initiate (140) Oct 21, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Moonraker in Auburn (CA) is the one that really knocked me out!

Keene likes this.
  23. SlothB77

SlothB77 Zealot (560) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

24. sconniebeerlover

sconniebeerlover Initiate (26) Jan 14, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I was surprised not to see Forager from Rochester, MN on there for midwest. They are killing it with their sours especially but they are making alot of great stuff.

25. Keene

Staff Subscriber

Thanks for putting them on our radar!

26. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (951) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Shocked to see Perihelion make the list. I've found their beer to be extremely underwhelming.

glkaiser likes this.
  27. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (5,723) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Didn't they open in late 2015?

28. glkaiser

glkaiser Initiate (132) May 19, 2006 Washington

100% agreed. I have lived 5 blocks from this place since it opened about a year ago and have given it several chances. I want to like this place. But, the beer is not good. They do a great business because A) They are in a prime location & the neighborhood has only a few other bar/restaurant options, B) The food is good and C) Many people just don't care/know bad beer when they drink it.

I'll definitely go back and keep giving them chances, hoping they figure it out (my wife pretty much refuses at this point, though). But, they simply should not be on this list.

distantmantra likes this.
  29. leonardoh03

leonardoh03 Aspirant (214) Jan 27, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

No love for Casa Agria?

30. Todd

Todd Founder (5,344) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

They opened in 2015.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe