Clickbait Headlines Blame Millennials for Killing Craft Beer. Are They?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NeroFiddled, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

From my experience at the bars that I go to, there's aboot a 60-40 split with the 60 being macro light beers. Yes, I like to check out what other peeps are drinking. :wink:

ShawnoftheD3ad likes this.
  3. Zorro

Zorro Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

The Weather in the future maybe be hotter or colder than the present.

As it always has been. Nothing stays the same forever.

4. johnInLA

johnInLA Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

So people are now looking to blame someone for "Killing Craft Beer"?

I guess I didn't get the memo that craft beer is being killed.

When I look around today, I see:
    • More selections than ever before in bottle shops.
    • I have more local breweries within driving distance than ever before.
    • I have more craft taps in restaurants the ever before
    • I have more craft festivals and events than ever before
    • I can even buy craft beers in movie theaters now.
    I'm at a loss how anyone could think craft beer is beer killed.

The truth is its never been more pervasive.

Ever the article acknowledges that craft beer growth is slowing. Slowing growth means it is still expanding. Hardly the definition of being killed.

Yes, it is a maturing market. Yes, some international, national and ever regional brewers are struggling with increased competition, from small local brewers. But that is still a long way from killing of craft beer.

This may make a good headline, but the facts don't seem to add up.

5. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

i agree with the bit at the end about the under-reporting of on- and off-premise sales from the bazillion taprooms at what I call the "little-brewery-on-the-corner."

And they are filled with millennials.

6. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

I would not want to be an expanding brewery in this current landscape.

Personally, I'm seeing the younger crowd lack loyalty to even claiming to have "favorite" or "go to" beers. There are simply too many options and they don't liked being boxed in. They also jump from craft beer to wine, to other spirits more freely.

With so many breweries expanding based on current sales, they often don't or can't compute what happens when the newer craft beer drinkers grow bored of your beers and move onto the next. Sales must be okay for these new players to enter my state. But I just dont see enough sales push to seem like a viable market.

Too much variety and not enough people getting an equal piece of the pie, we may end up with less variety and more breweries when its all said and done. I can see how tickers are killing craft beer.

On the flip side, the >40 crowd appears much more loyal and end up paying the bills for these breweries through dedicated continual patronage. Yet breweries are slowly showing neglect to their core base to appease the younger crowd. So it'll be interesting in the years to come. The original article isn't too far off imho

7. johnInLA

johnInLA Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I know several expanding breweries that are doing quite well.

The secret sauce.

Know your customers, your community, and the community you are expanding into.

PorterPro125 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  8. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

@john0721 Fickle consumers scare me because they are always moving onto the next best thing. I have seen many great restaurants close up that did well on yelp. But for whatever reason, didnt have a daily 'pay the bills' following. Millennial's make it tricky for all walks of consumer life.

The expanding into part is what concerns me. You're the new kid on the block just once in every region you enter. So you may have great sales for that one month time frame before another newcomer enters that region. I just see too many breweries entering my state out of sheer necessity to find a new point of sale. They spend millions and then have to expand to make them some money. The BP "expand into every market to look pretty" model doesnt work for everyone.

Now as far as tap room growth and growth within your own region, I don't see the ticking crowd hurting them too much. But breweries like BP, Founders, DFH, four peaks, golden road, and Bell's are all relatively new to NM. I saw a great push and interest for a months time. For the most part, if its not local, it hasn't really STUCK. People are back to their old go tos, or onto new breweries and new tries.

TL;DR. With a fickle younger consumer base, it's just way too tricky for me to see breweries entering new markets. The older market seems much more stable. The younger crowd is definitely changing how these companies run their business, for better or worse

herrburgess likes this.
  9. oldbean

oldbean Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I'm a millennial and yes, I am killing craft beer. Killed two saisons and a pale ale tonight alone.

10. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Is "millennial" the new "hipster"? The Boogeyman everyone can bitch about liking what they like in a manner they don't approve of.

Great.

11. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

I'd argue that saturation with too much dependence on quick growth for success as being the biggest pitfalls in the industry. And I still don't think that is hurting the industry, just those specific breweries. Those breweries failure might cause some sting to the industry, but there are more than enough just waiting in the wings to take their place on the shelves and tap lines at local drinking establishments.

Do millenials make up the bulk of tickers? Do they make up the bulk of truck chasers? Do they make up the bulk of whale drinkers? Do they make up the bulk of traders? I suppose if the answer to those questions are "yes," than there is an argument that they are contributing to the decline of the social quality of our scene from my POV. But I have always seen that as an issue amongst craft beer drinkers in general, not just a specific generation of beer drinkers. I could totally be wrong there though.

12. laketang

laketang Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

goddam millennials!

13. IBUBrew

IBUBrew May 6, 2017 Vermont

That whole article sounded like a crotchety old man screaming, "get off my lawn, with your sex, pot, and rock n roll."

A couple of points I disagree with are folks trading cannabis for beer. I have several friends who enjoy both. Also, I love trying new beers with my dad. Try it sometime (it's when all of the good stories are told).

14. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Dec 6, 2013 Texas

Millennials are the heart and soul of craft beer. Considering that drug use of any kind is way down with the post-Millennial generation, it's projected to be the most conservation generation since the Boomers, I'm not sure how it is that they're going to kill the craft beer industry.

machalel and Tdizzle like this.
  15. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Probably. Once they're finished killing grammar they will need something new to kill.

16. bbtkd

bbtkd Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Damn kids, get your ball the hell out of my yard!!!!!!

Seriously, every generation changes things for us old coots, just as we did when we were that age...

17. meefmoff

meefmoff Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

If we're defining people born in 1977 as millennials then I don't even know what the hell we're pretending to think we're talking about.

machalel, lnofeis1, Dravin and 16 others like this.
  18. FBarber

FBarber Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Journalism in 2017:

Why Millennials are killing __________.

:rolling_eyes:

Tdizzle, dcotom, rronin and 22 others like this.
  19. Giantspace

Giantspace Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I did not read the article

I do not think craft is dead or dying.

I think it is so abundant with so many choices , styles and available at all price levels and at so many different places it is much more difficult for a brewery to stand out and succeed.

I think the big regionals are going to be the hardest hit with so many smaller "local" places popping up. I would think it's much easier for a small local to make constant changes to the portfolio vs a larger regional/national.

I think for now the large (Bells, SN,NB) are not going to have an easy time and they are already pressing to find the next big thing and get in before it's gone. The core that got them here is going away and that's not a good thing. SN stout, Porter and Keller are great beers but no one buys them. The public is much more interested in the next fad.

Don't know where beer is going but I think it's smaller closer fresher for now. The larger guys might need to cut prices to stay viable.

Enjoy

dcotom, JackHorzempa and meefmoff like this.
  20. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

What I would say is killing craft beer are stuff like Lime a Ritas, hard sodas, alcopops, etc, stealing the shelf spaces from beer.

21. surfcaster

surfcaster Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Be nice to the millennials.

They need reassurance.....

.....and a trophy.

Oh and there are so many in every local brewery here. They aren't killing craft beer.

22. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Didn't go to article because I have trouble with any article whose headline maintains an opinion I irretrievably disagree with. Craft beer dying? Hmmm, on which planet is this happening? Sure ain't Earth.

23. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

FYI - the title of this thread is not the actual headline of the article, this is:
    Clickbait Headlines Blame Millennials for Killing Craft Beer. Are They?
    (Which questions the opinion and calling such headlines "clickbait" kinda agrees with your attitude...)

24. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

FBarber and mikeinportc like this.
  25. bbtkd

Society Trader

Well, over history it's been "Why __________ are killing __________."

Insert Silent Generation, Baby Boomers, X, Millennials, or Centennials in the first blank, anything/everything in the second

26. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

To save you wasting time reading the article:

“In other words, unsurprisingly, it’s difficult to make authoritative statements about a nebulously defined group of people whose purchasing habits are both in flux and inconsistent on a national scale.”

“One critical element that goes under-reported in these stories and surveys is craft beer’s area of growth. Most beer sales data ignores growler and glass sales within brewery tasting rooms.”

cjgiant, LeRose, mikeinportc and 3 others like this.
  27. oldbean

oldbean Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

No because millennials are actually a definable thing.

28. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

I'm 25

i only drink craft beer, maybe bourbon/gin to mix it up

yes weed is awesome too

there are new breweries popping up everywhere and local breweries have a lot of people right around my age. good breweries are doing fine

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  29. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

[​IMG]

machalel, TonyLema1, Tdizzle and 23 others like this.
  30. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Jan 24, 2006 Michigan

Yeah, as someone who recently turned 40, this is one of the weirder parts of the article. I don't think so holmes.

And really, I get a bit tired of hearing about the participation trophies and safe space thing as a reason to criticize this generation because who the hell do you think gave them these expectations? Their freaking parents! So if they want to criticize an entire generation for how you raised them to think and act, maybe try looking in the mirror for a change, they didn't hand out the participation trophies to themselves.

Anyways, the article is really a weak attempt to explain a few things that are actually happening. Craft GROWTH may be slowing, but did anyone really expect the surge we've seen over the past decade or so to continue on the same trajectory? It wasn't sustainable whether kids are moving towards chugging Four Loco and lighting up a big spliff or not.

One last vent, sorry. The PSA part was pretty weak too. Are they working now that younger people are trying to be smart and take care of themselves a little better (and not get nailed for drinking and driving because, well, it's stupid and they have roadblocks and patrols like never before these days)? Or was it maybe Nancy's little bullshit propaganda campaign seen for what it was? rant over.

31. honkey

honkey Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Trader

How stupid... Craft beer is thriving still (even if it is doing so at a slower pace than it was a year or two ago) so can it also be “being killed?” Most people seem to think that anyone born in 1990 or later are millennials, which would place the majority of brewery workers that I know as millennials. Myself, I was born in 1990 and I have done lectures at colleges and high schools about the science of brewing and even the high school kids (who in that year would have been born in 1998) made jokes about BMC beers not beige real beer... and that was in Alabama where as you might expect, BMC has dominated craft. Craft beer is finally becoming a part of American culture and younger generations are embracing it.

32. honkey

honkey Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Trader

:thinking_face: Without millennials, who would brewery owners find to hire at minimum wage, work into the ground, and tell them that it’s the industry standard and that they should be happy to have a job in a lifestyle business?

33. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

What's killing craft beer is people thinking somthing is killing craft beer.

34. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Last time I checked craft is booming with breweries opening everywhere, article really makes no sense.

PorterPro125 and VABA like this.
  35. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

yeah but it was probably millennials who wrote (or headlined) all those articles, so:

Are Millennials Killing Journalism?

cjgiant and Gajo74 like this.
  36. Kb024

Kb024 Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

I see people of all ages drinking craft beer and wine. I see old people at hip newer style start ups and tap rooms and i see young people at the breweries and wineries that been around forever. The old people in san diego are embracing the craft beer scene... Not complaining about change.

37. Eamonn-Cummings3

Eamonn-Cummings3 Jan 23, 2014 New York
    Society

38. bbtkd

Society Trader

No, politics and political correctness are. And "fake news"? Even the "real news" is fake!

tzieser, ICTguy21 and Invinciblejets like this.
  39. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

:grin:

FBarber likes this.
  40. Squire

Squire Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'm in daily contact with Millennials (college/grad students) and believe the only reason they don't drink more craft beer is lack of money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.