Closest beer to Heady Topper

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by danedelman, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (559) Nov 5, 2013 California

HDNR close to Heady... what? HDNR has a waaaaay more noticeable malt presence (I tried it at 10 days old, BTW).

Anyway, Double Sunshine is definitely the most similar IPA I've had to Heady Topper. Focal Banger is also pretty close. Other than those 2 phenomenal IPA's, nothing else is in the same realm. Pliny the Elder is great, but is completely distinct from Heady. If anything, HDNR is stylistically similar to Pliny.

richobrien likes this.
  2. richobrien

richobrien Devotee (470) Dec 29, 2013 California
    Trader

Will just have to keep trying more beers til we get the answer!

5thOhio likes this.
  3. Soup27

Soup27 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2013 Delaware

I was scanning the thread in hopes that someone wouldn't beat me to this! It's my favorite go-to IPA, But I thought Heady had a depth that Hop Nosh, and every other IPA I've had couldn't touch!

upsbeernut and StLeasy like this.
  4. GregoryVT

GregoryVT Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2016 Vermont

I agree. I've had the pleasure of drinking Kane's Overhead only while at the Newark airport. This is my favorite DIPA.

HopBomb515, jallen5076 and dennis3951 like this.
  5. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (631) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Other Half All Green Everything is definitely the closest thing to Heady that I've tried.

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,574) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If I thought I could buy another that was equal to HT I'd have a fridge full. But there's not, there's other great beers, but HT is still at the top of my list.

NJM, texaswhiplash, 2ellas and 3 others like this.
  7. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (829) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Though it's a pale ale, HopHands has a very similar hop profile. They even look alike.

efrankmcguire likes this.
  8. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (302) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Abrasive and Abner are the only beers I've tasted that have the same hop profile, smooth bitterness and creamy mouthfeel.

meb3476 and tmbgnicu like this.
  9. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (506) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

So much this. AGE from the can is freakishly close to Heady, even with the vastly different ABV. Abner is close too, but they are just different enough to call them "close" but not too similar. Did Abner and Heady side by side on Thanksgiving, and frankly Abner was better imo. Next time AGE is canned, I am driving to Brooklyn for some.

algebeeric_topology and nc41 like this.
  10. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (533) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

I like this post because it seems to me that people always want to compare a beer to Heady - which of course is a huge compliment to Heady. I can remember being in VT and most of the locals - who were probably tired of all the Heady talk - kept talking up Second Fiddle and SOS. To me while both excellent - they fall short of Heady. 2nd Fiddle being closer. Over the years I've heard this question many times and until recently my answer was while there are many other outstanding DIPA's and IPA's out there Heady was clearly the best. In the last year however I have been blown away by many brews but 3 really made me tingle. Tesseract from Grimm Ales - Julius from Treehouse and Epiphany from Foundation all belong in the same sentence as Heady. What a great time to be a hop head. Cheers

11. TravlynMan

TravlynMan Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2014 Massachusetts

Anybody think Haze specifically from Treehouse was very close to Heady? Had it last year in growler and cans and was having flashbacks to Heady.

#211 TravlynMan, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    tmbgnicu likes this.
  12. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (506) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I don't actually. Haze is fantastic, but its juicyness(and all TH beers really) puts it in its own category I think.

meefmoff and berto714 like this.
  13. rogacks

rogacks Aspirant (213) Aug 31, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Treehouse's Very Green was incredible.

Irishace9 likes this.
  14. scbeerman

scbeerman Aspirant (294) Feb 16, 2015 South Carolina

Foothills October 2015 IPA of the Month was extremely similar to Heady

15. RBowers

RBowers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Virginia

Grimm stuff, like tesseract, cloudbursting... is similar in juiciness and easier to come by.

16. dripa8

dripa8 Initiate (198) Sep 19, 2014 Kansas

I have no doubt that heady is a great dipa,(never had it), but I have had Pliny and Kern citra, and from looking at all the opinions of people on what beers are closest, I must come to the conclusion that its ALL hype. My opinion is find a relatively local dipa that YOU like, and enjoy!

ebin6 likes this.
  17. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (128) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Not the same but second fiddle is pretty close

meb3476 and lambpasty like this.
  18. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (179) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Hoptimum really?

19. nc41

Society Trader

How can you call it hype when you've never had it?

20. Tyler_E

Tyler_E Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2015 North Carolina

There are plenty IMO. The best match I have found is Todd the Axe Man from Surly. Abrasive Ale is good, but not as close in taste as Todd is. Other close matches include Sip of Sunshine, Hop Drop n' Roll, and Abner.

IowaPA and BongRattlingBass like this.
  21. Cadaver83

Cadaver83 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2015 Massachusetts

Treehouse everything.....

MiloDropsOutofCollege likes this.
  22. DVMin98

DVMin98 Poo-Bah (3,488) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Answer brews. Brandon is a master at his craft. They have so many great IPAs. Megablast, even though technically a triple IPA, was crazy amazing. I actually liked it more

Jaxbeerdude likes this.
  23. MilaMila

MilaMila Aspirant (209) Dec 11, 2015 Massachusetts

Focal Banger is a lighter version of The Heady Topper but The Heady Topper is on a different level. You can get The Heady if you go to Vermont on the days it's being distributed to which ever location.. But as far as a comparable beer to The Heady. There's no beer like it and I've had many different types of beers.

24. BltByKrmn

The people suggesting Abrasive have either never had Heady or they are insane. Either way, Abrasive while good tastes nothing like Heady.

25. BltByKrmn

Maybe next time you should read the original post before responding? It's fine if you prefer TH beer, but you're delusional if you think they taste like Heady.

far333 and Ilovelampandbeer like this.
  26. Emmige1

Emmige1 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2014 New York

Focal banger is probably the closest

27. Norexyet

Norexyet Initiate (170) Nov 23, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I agree that AGE is very similar and much easier (for me) to get. All green is one of my favorite beers and look foward to the next canning.

28. nc41

Society Trader

I love fresh Abrasive, I have it rated equally with Heady, but your right they are not even close to being a like. Different but equally outstanding.

westlaunboy and JimBrody like this.
  29. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Carton 077xx

HopBomb515 likes this.
  30. abkayak

abkayak Disciple (346) Jan 8, 2013 New York

Get there earlier then you plan

cavedave likes this.
  31. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,089) Nov 3, 2013 California

I think that SOS is better then Heady and I heard that's easier to get out there. I'm a Pliny guy but that SOS is a close second.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  32. PeteKuncis

PeteKuncis Initiate (48) Dec 6, 2014 Massachusetts

Closest I had to Heady was one of the October 2014 versions of Night Shift Morph.

33. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (149) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

34. AngryDutchman

AngryDutchman Aspirant (231) Aug 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

Know nothing about Heady Topper but Topper Headon was one of the best drummers I ever heard.

Went looking for beer but I'm Lost in the Supermarket.

35. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

To be honest the beer that closely resembles Heady Topper would be Gandhi Bot. I dig Gandhi Bot more though.

36. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (459) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'll take Tory Crimes any day over that drunk Topper Headon....:wink:

drinkybanjo likes this.
  37. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,868) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Are Carton and Kane beers available anywhere else but NY/NJ?

38. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Do you mean Overhead and 077xx taste about the same as Heady? Or do you mean they a different from Heady but just as good?

39. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

I know this doesn't help OP but I truly haven't had any beer that's similar to HT...I've had better( and better IPAs from VT alone) but I've never actually had an IPA and said this reminds me of HT...it tastes so damn unique and that's part of its appeal to me TBH

2Xmd and cavedave like this.
  40. dynajack1

dynajack1 Initiate (110) Jul 5, 2012 Massachusetts

I always thought Captains Daughter was very close to Heady.

JoeBloe, pinyin, dar482 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.