Closest thing in TX to Jai Alai's citrus explosiveness?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by shawnohall, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawnohall

shawnohall Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2009 Texas

I went to visit my brother in Florida, and tried the Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. Unbelievable. The citrusy smell and taste just knocked me out of my chair. I had never had anything like that before. What brew available in Texas (preferably Houston area) has the closest thing to that kind of amazing citrus character? Thanks.

2. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Initiate (0) May 17, 2012 Texas

Have you tried Ballast Point Sculpin? :wink:

3. shawnohall

I did, and noticed a citrus quality to it, but not to the extent of the Jai Alai. Maybe the JA is an aberration.

4. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

I'm from Florida originally and there's nothing comparable here. Closest thing is going to be the grapefruity IPAs of California that we get here.

5. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Texas

I may be alone on this but I was amazed at the grapefruitiness of batch #2 of el cedro. Of course it's nowhere near the same as an ipa but the fresh el cedro is giving me an almost grapefruit mamosa type flavor right now. It's not the intense hoppiness you may want but the flavor profile fits considering what you're asking IMO.

rainerschuhsler and starkmarvelo like this.
  6. shawnohall

Which California IPA's would be closest?

7. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

This. Drink it cold and it's like grapefruit juice without sweetness.

8. shawnohall

I don't know if we get Jester King in the Houston area (actually Conroe). Unless it's on tap somewhere. I haven't seen it in stores.

Daemose likes this.
  9. Brvn

Brvn Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2008 Oklahoma

Trade some Oklahomans for the new saint somewhere praire artist ales collaboration. Amazing beer.

10. Brvn

Brvn Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2008 Oklahoma

Also I have not had batch one of el Cedro but batch 2 is phenomenal.

11. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

You should. And I think there were 300+ cases shipped out, so it should still be out on shelves.

12. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Texas

Yes it's all over Houston and you should be able to find it in Contoe. If not, I have an extra bottle to spare

13. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

Citrus IPA in Texas. Pro-Am, Endeavour, Firestone Walkers stuff, (512)'s double and single IPA have a great apricot flavor, Scott and his team at Freetail do IPA's well.

For what it was El Cedro was pretty hoppy but in no way would I recommend drinking it super cold (completely missing the point of that beer, or craft beer in general doing so) EDIT:not trying to say Stark is wrong for his suggestion but the colder you serve that beer the more flavors hide.

Krumb likes this.
  14. lokieman

lokieman Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma
    Deactivated

I just had a 6 pack of Jai Alai arrive in a box the other day. I was thinking to myself that we don't really have anything that compares to a dank, unfiltered IPA like Jai Alai. But I could drink a few Lagunitas Sucks and forget about it fairly quickly. Don't get me wrong...Jai Alai is damn tasty...but do yourself a favor and grab a case of Sucks next time it comes through and you'll be all set on your IPA fix for a while.

15. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (1,105) Nov 21, 2008 Texas

The fermentation character is a little different, but I have always though Jai Alai to have similar intensity to Ska's Mudus Hoperandi. I visit both breweries and drink both of these beers often.

16. HopAG

HopAG Savant (1,137) Sep 22, 2012 Texas

I would of suggested Fresh Pro-AM 2012

THAT WAS SO DAMN GOOD! The Citrus notes on that were crazy good!

17. Lutter

Deactivated

Quick guys, lets get our time machine!

18. HopAG

Why wait?

[​IMG]

When the future is now! :wink:

19. Lutter

Deactivated

Oh, lemme go to the store and buy...

Oh wait, there's no release date or announcement of one. Whoopsie. :wink:

Frankly I'm pissed they're not canning it either. You just know it's gonna be $5/pint now.

20. HopAG

Quick guys, lets get our time machine! :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.