Closest thing to Heady Topper in VA

Discussion in 'US - South' started by firecracker87, Jan 14, 2022 at 8:35 PM.

1. firecracker87

firecracker87 Initiate (61) Jun 23, 2013 Virginia

I can't make a trip to Vermont on a regular basis. What would be the closest thing to Heady Topper here near Richmond VA?

2. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,054) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I don't think anyone is really making something similar to Heady but are there traits about Heady that you like. I'm sure there are folks who can help point you in the right direction. RVA has no shortage of good IPA brewers like Triple Crossing, Final Gravity, and The Veil.

3. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (570) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I don’t know the answer but if are in RVA there’s more than enough breweries in town pumping out IPAs better than Heady IMO.

EersandBeers likes this.
  4. EersandBeers

EersandBeers Initiate (180) Jan 16, 2013 West Virginia

What TomCat said. I just got done having a 4 pack of Heady that was freshly shipped to Pittsburgh. After that I'm kinda middle ground on them. Def a good beer and I'd buy it if I see it. For me Richmond is packed full of awesome beer. Final Gravity, Veil, Answer. I think that's about all I need right there. haha

TomCat11 likes this.
  5. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,054) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

The reason I asked what the OP liked about Heady is because I don't think The Veil or TCB are making IPAs like Heady. I've only had a few of FG's offerings so don't know their portfolio too well. More trying to gauge what the OP enjoys about Heady. There was a time where a lot of breweries were chasing the Heady flavor profile, but that has completely shifted towards a more New England TH, Trillium profile. I know I'm going to get a distinct experience when I have Heady, which is not something I can say about most of the IPAs I have these days.